Handbrake alternative: Any Video Converter (Settings)

Search This thread

lafester

Feb 11, 2007
So as we all know the Nook Color has hardware video decoding maxed at 854x480, 1100 kbps. After reading the handbrake thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=894165 I found that while handbrake produces excellent video, the audio is much too quiet for my needs.

After much searching and testing I have finally found a great converter that not only looks good, but allows audio gain adjustments as well.

Get Any Video Converter from here (Free):
http://www.any-video-converter.com/products/for_video_free/
They also have a paid version to rip DVDs if you would like to support the developer and have a nice all-in-one app.

Setup is pretty easy with AVC...
(after you select video to convert and set up output file directory etc)

Click on output profile
Select customized mp4 movie
Scroll down to frame size and manually input 854x480
Scroll down to video bitrate and manually input 1100
Click on Edit tab up at the top of the screen
Select options
Select audio
Set volume control to 8db
Click ok
Click Convert button

Just wanted to share what I have found to be a great alternative to Handbrake :)
Let me know if you like it or hate it...

Last edited:

QaeadarDAzeal

Jan 4, 2010
Yeah, that's a nice conversion app. Personally, I like using Freemake Video Converter. This has everything that does, but it's also got a bunch of presets all setup to make converting a breeze. For example, to convert a movie I already downloaded...

Add Video, Click on "To Android" at the bottom, and it's running. Very painless. =)

panamamike

Jan 27, 2011
Yeah, that's a nice conversion app. Personally, I like using Freemake Video Converter[/URL]. This has everything that does, but it's also got a bunch of presets all setup to make converting a breeze. For example, to convert a movie I already downloaded...

Add Video, Click on "To Android" at the bottom, and it's running. Very painless. =)

I'm also a freemake fan, does all I want less one thing. Is it possible to get it to normalize the audio levels? I know handbrake does have this feature.

Unfortunately the NC speaker is a bit gimpy and points backwards.

Something else to note, the nook can do better than 1100 kbps with software decoding. I have a video at 1800k plus that plays pretty smoothly, I'm thinking something around 1500k would probably work well. (Haven't tested)

Mike

lafester

Feb 11, 2007
I just downloaded Freemake to check it out.
I did not see any way to adjust audio which is the main feature I was looking for.
Did not see any option to normalize audio either.
It does have a nice layout and features.

AVC still wins for this feature IMO :)
(yes it also has the normalize option)

Hest88

Jan 9, 2011
Thanks lafester. I tested it with your settings and it worked great. The only thing was that, for me, the movie I was testing (which happens to be a musical) had a bit too much reverb. I may try it again at a lower volume setting.

I also tested the Pro version, mainly because I'm hoping to still find something that can rip and covert in one step, but at those settings the audio and video weren't in sync. So, I guess I have to stick to using two steps.

lafester

Feb 11, 2007
let us know what settings end up working for you.
seems like I saw some sync settings as well?
not sure ad I haven't tried ripping yet.

nspeer

Jan 12, 2011
Thanks for this. I ripped a DVD with the paid DVD ripper and it looked and sounded great. Only complaint is that it was not full screen vertically, only horizontally. That is to say, there are black bars (like letterbox) above and below the video but the video window does go all the way to the right and left of the Nook's screen. Maybe it is just because the DVD is widesreen format?

crea78

Jan 17, 2011
Charlotte, NC
I used lafester settings for AVC on Office Space, and the audio is out-of-sync with the lips. Not sure how to correct this if it is even possible?? I will probably try Freemake to see if it is any better.

nspeer

Jan 12, 2011
I used lafester settings for AVC on Office Space, and the audio is out-of-sync with the lips. Not sure how to correct this if it is even possible?? I will probably try Freemake to see if it is any better.

I fixed that problem by reading the FAQ on the app's website.

br0adband

Mar 28, 2008
What I need is a Handbrake alternative that supports ripping my Blu-rays for playing on my tablet with the best quality. I searched from google, and find a tutorial Get Handbrake Alternative ripping Blu-rays seems to be helpful.

Late reply but many people find it easier to use MakeMKV - which can rip pretty much anything on optical media - to turn the Blu-ray content into a single MKV file (can have everything inside that one file too) and then feed that MKV to HandBrake where it can get to work.

MakeMKV has been around for many years now, it's in perpetual beta apparently so, give that a shot.

Addembaked

May 10, 2017
Any Video Converter Problem

Just downloaded AVC. Simple to instal and looks very uncomplicated. Conversion worked but audio and video are violently out of sync. Tried output to AVI and also MP4. It seems the video is converting at a much slower rate than the audio resulting in the non-sync. The audio finishes 8-10 seconds before the video on a one-and-a-half minute clip. What am I doing wrong? I used to convert video with a free web-based application called Acethinker Video Converter, never had that problem.

MusicFanslovers

Apr 17, 2024
According to my test, iDealshare VideoGo alsow works great.
It is easy to use. It can convert between almost all kinds of video formats, audio formats, and convert video to audio format.
It also has the basic editing feature and has a built-in media player.
I prefer its batch conversion.