[Root][JB 4.2] Root your Nexus 7 without unlocking bootloader. (djrbliss motochopper)

Search This thread

nhshah7

Feb 14, 2009
Boston
Hi all,
I just rooted a nexus 7 using the motochopper toolkit made by djrbliss. He gets full credit for the method, I just modified it to work for the N7 by updating the adb files within it (tested on Win7 64-bit, N7 wifi). Oh, and if something breaks, it's not my fault :)

(original thread: http://www.droidrzr.com/index.php/t...id-root-exploit/page__pid__244281#entry244281)

Here's what you'll need:

Nexus 7 Drivers installed (try the universal naked drivers if you have issues with this. Search google if ADB/motochopper cannot see your device)
(Android SDK is recommended if you need to troubleshoot the nexus connecting, but not necessary.)
Developer options enabled, USB debugging enabled.
The attached zip.

Steps:
  1. Download and unzip the folder within the attached file.
  2. Make sure USB debugging is enabled. When you plug the tablet into the computer, the status bar of the tablet should say "USB debugging connected". If it doesn't, see below.
  3. WITH YOUR SCREEN TURNED ON, run the appropriate script from the motochopper folder. (Run.bat for windows, I think run.sh for Mac and Linux).
  4. You may be prompted by the tablet to approve a connection by the computer (RSA key, etc.). Accept this!
  5. If all is fine and dandy here, it will see your device and start to push files to it. When it tries to push the SuperSU.apk, your tablet will ask you to Approve something for tracking apk's/apps installed over ADB. Click yes or accept.
  6. The script (on your computer) should prompt you to reboot. Hit any key and you should be rooted when it starts up!
Note: if your computer isn't able to see the device, try setting the device to PTP from MTP. This seems to work for some.

Need to enable USB Debugging?
  1. Make sure you are in the main account.
  2. Go to settings, about, and scroll to the bottom.
  3. Tap on the "build number" entry 7 times.
  4. Exit out of the 'about' and go to Developer options.
  5. Check "USB debugging".

Since I do NOT have a nexus 7 of my own, I can't fully support this but I'll do my best. I thought it would be great to share this with the nexus community for anyone (like me) that doesn't want to unlock their device in order to root. Like I mentioned before, all credit goes to djrbliss.

Enjoy!

Edit: some people are asking why this is useful. If you want root, unlocking the bootloader to gain root erases your device. This method does not.

Edit 2: users report that it does not work on nexus 10 but does work on nexus 4.

Indeed it would be amazing... and very useful... but as I've indicated in a previous post, 4.3 implements a new security model designed to protect itself from exploits (ostensibly of the malicious kind), so it's very unlikely this (motochopper) or any other exploit in the future will work.

If you want root on 4.3, you're going to have to do it the old fashioned way...

1) Unlock the bootloader with fastboot.
2) Fastboot flash a Custom Recovery (CWM or TWRP).
3) Using that recovery, flash Chainfire's modified SuperSU root updater.

Rgrds,
Ged.

Update 3/2014. This method is outdated and no longer works for any current version of android (4.3+)

Last edited:

chelv19

Jan 30, 2012
Whats the difference with unlocked and locked bootloader?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

bedspacer2001

Feb 22, 2011
Whats the difference with unlocked and locked bootloader?

unlock bootloader
can install CMW
can install custom kernel
can install custom rom
you can do more modification with your device

nhshah7

Feb 14, 2009
Boston
Has anyone tried this yet? And it works? What's the best way to restore the system if it messes something up?

I used this last night to root a N7, which is why I posted it here. I don't think there's much risk to messing anything up, as I used it on my TF201 as well (and people have had great success with it on the TF300 and TF700s too). If something does get messed up, you may be able to do a factory reset, or load the system image on the SD card and flash it via bootloader. All in all, though, I think it's pretty low-risk, and easier than unlocking if you don't want to go that route.

Reactions: gk1984

AndDiSa

Dec 2, 2009
Heidelberg
HTC Desire
Nexus 7
I used this last night to root a N7, which is why I posted it here. I don't think there's much risk to messing anything up, as I used it on my TF201 as well (and people have had great success with it on the TF300 and TF700s too). If something does get messed up, you may be able to do a factory reset, or load the system image on the SD card and flash it via bootloader. All in all, though, I think it's pretty low-risk, and easier than unlocking if you don't want to go that route.

For sure unlocking and flashing your new ROM / recovery / ... using fastboot is much easier and bears much less risk.
But if anyone likes to test ...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

jetbruceli

May 8, 2011
Bamberg, Germany
OK so I recovered my nexus 7 to complete stock and locked the boot loader. I ran the script and vola ita Rooted.

May just be the easiest root since my old milestone 2

Sent from my GT-I9305 using xda premium

GedBlake

Jan 5, 2013
Ashton-under-Lyne, Manchester, UK
Yep. I can confirm this 'exploit' works...

Just tested on my 'grouper' Nexus 7... using Windows XP.

I fastboot flashed back to stock (JDQ39) and re-locked the bootloader.

Ran the script... and upon reboot, I'm ROOTED with Chainfire's SU root tools...the only outstanding issue is to update the SU binary, which it did without problems.

And no 'unlocked' padlock upon boot.

---

Very nice... very nice indeed :):):).

Rgrds,
Ged.

Reactions: benuron

scsouders

Sep 12, 2011
I must be missing something. Am I to place the extracted folder into the nexus 7 storage and run the run.batch. or is there another step im missing. Im connected via Win 7 64bit, and have drivers installed.

Ive installed the folder in my Nexus 7 internal storage section and ran the run batch, i get the following issues
[*] Device found.
[*] Pushing exploit...
'adb' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
[*] Pushing root tools...
[*] Rooting phone...
[*] Cleaning up...
[*] Exploit complete. Press enter to reboot and exit.
Press any key to continue . . .

Thanks

nhshah7

Feb 14, 2009
Boston
I must be missing something. Am I to place the extracted folder into the nexus 7 storage and run the run.batch. or is there another step im missing. Im connected via Win 7 64bit, and have drivers installed.

Ive installed the folder in my Nexus 7 internal storage section and ran the run batch, i get the following issues
[*] Device found.
[*] Pushing exploit...
[*] Rooting phone...
[*] Cleaning up...
[*] Exploit complete. Press enter to reboot and exit.
Press any key to continue . . .

Thanks

No, extract the contents to anywhere on your PC and run it there. Desktop will work fine. Then run the batch file . Post back if that doesn't work.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk HD

Reactions: dooferoaks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all,
    I just rooted a nexus 7 using the motochopper toolkit made by djrbliss. He gets full credit for the method, I just modified it to work for the N7 by updating the adb files within it (tested on Win7 64-bit, N7 wifi). Oh, and if something breaks, it's not my fault :)

(original thread: http://www.droidrzr.com/index.php/t...id-root-exploit/page__pid__244281#entry244281)

Here's what you'll need:

Nexus 7 Drivers installed (try the universal naked drivers if you have issues with this. Search google if ADB/motochopper cannot see your device)
    (Android SDK is recommended if you need to troubleshoot the nexus connecting, but not necessary.)
    Developer options enabled, USB debugging enabled.
    The attached zip.

Steps:
    1. Download and unzip the folder within the attached file.
    2. Make sure USB debugging is enabled. When you plug the tablet into the computer, the status bar of the tablet should say "USB debugging connected". If it doesn't, see below.
    3. WITH YOUR SCREEN TURNED ON, run the appropriate script from the motochopper folder. (Run.bat for windows, I think run.sh for Mac and Linux).
    4. You may be prompted by the tablet to approve a connection by the computer (RSA key, etc.). Accept this!
    5. If all is fine and dandy here, it will see your device and start to push files to it. When it tries to push the SuperSU.apk, your tablet will ask you to Approve something for tracking apk's/apps installed over ADB. Click yes or accept.
    6. The script (on your computer) should prompt you to reboot. Hit any key and you should be rooted when it starts up!
    Note: if your computer isn't able to see the device, try setting the device to PTP from MTP. This seems to work for some.

Need to enable USB Debugging?
    1. Make sure you are in the main account.
    2. Go to settings, about, and scroll to the bottom.
    3. Tap on the "build number" entry 7 times.
    4. Exit out of the 'about' and go to Developer options.
    5. Check "USB debugging".

Since I do NOT have a nexus 7 of my own, I can't fully support this but I'll do my best. I thought it would be great to share this with the nexus community for anyone (like me) that doesn't want to unlock their device in order to root. Like I mentioned before, all credit goes to djrbliss.

Enjoy!

Edit: some people are asking why this is useful. If you want root, unlocking the bootloader to gain root erases your device. This method does not.

Edit 2: users report that it does not work on nexus 10 but does work on nexus 4.

Indeed it would be amazing... and very useful... but as I've indicated in a previous post, 4.3 implements a new security model designed to protect itself from exploits (ostensibly of the malicious kind), so it's very unlikely this (motochopper) or any other exploit in the future will work.

If you want root on 4.3, you're going to have to do it the old fashioned way...

1) Unlock the bootloader with fastboot.
    2) Fastboot flash a Custom Recovery (CWM or TWRP).
    3) Using that recovery, flash Chainfire's modified SuperSU root updater.

Rgrds,
    Ged.

Update 3/2014. This method is outdated and no longer works for any current version of android (4.3+)
    Thank you so much for your replies still run windows xp will that still be ok to root with please.

Thank You
    :)

As a lowly user, I'm the wrong one to ask. As a Windows admin, I've got a bit more experience. The tools used here on the Windows side look pretty basic to me. If you can find the right USB driver and establish communications, I can't see why XP wouldn't be just fine. The USB driver has been the thing that has tripped me and several other users up. Get the right one for the right device. Just because Windows sees your device doesn't mean the root process will work. There's some other API involved.

---------- Post added at 11:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:08 AM ----------

Now that I've hit my 10 post count legitimately and no one can complain, I wanted to re-share some sources for USB drivers. Myself and several other users have been bitten using nhshah7's awesome modification when it hangs, apparently unable to communicate with our Nexus 7. In every case the problem has been a bad USB driver.

Myself and at least one other have solved this by installing PDANET+ which includes it's own USB drivers. Follow the instructions here:

How To Install Drivers For Any Android Device

And get PDANET here:

http://junefabrics.com/android/downloadold.php

But the drivers included didn't work for my older Galaxy Nexus. nhshah7 recommends using the USB drivers included in the full Android SDK. But if you hunt around, you can find lists of manufacturer USB drivers. A couple I found are:

http://www.teamandroid.com/download-android-usb-drivers

http://dottech.org/26188/usb-adb-and-fastboot-drivers-for-windows-for-all-android-phones/

Hope this helps the next person to get a hung batch file.
    Just had another tinker with this exploit...
    (I fastboot flashed back to stock, and relocked the bootloader beforehand).

...and I can confirm (again) that not only does it work... but you can reverse it really easily...

...by going to the app, SuperSU... and then SETTINGS>>FULL UNROOT.

Upon reboot, the device is fully unrooted.

--------

And as with the normal method of ROOTING, you can also backup your root (SU binary) using Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper...

http://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.projectvoodoo.otarootkeeper&hl=en

Upon (deliberate) loss of ROOT, I was able to restore ROOT, using this app.

Further, and with relative ease, I was also able to change over from Chainfire's ROOT to Koush's (the CWM guy) ROOT...

http://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.koushikdutta.superuser&hl=en.

-------

I have thrown every ROOT app I can think of at it... and it just works.

(And unrooting works, as described earlier.)

And the beauty of it is... if you do loose ROOT (either by accident or design)... you can easily acquire it again, just by re-running the script.... and WITH NO LOSS OF DATA.

-------

Rooting doesn't get any easier than this...

I 'tip my hat' in appreciation and respect... in the general direction of nhshah7 for making this exploit available.

Rgrds,
    Ged.
    I have rooted Nexus with this method (very easy, THANKS!), but the idea (at least for me) for rooting was to use an external SDCARD or pen disk with an OTG cable connected to Nexus 7.

But this I can't do, I have used OI File Manager and Root Browser to explore pen disk but I can't see external SDCard with these apps.

Can someone explain me what I am doing wrong? Thanks

It could be a million and one things!
    Where are you looking for the external card? You know it's mounted under /sdcard yeah?
    Could be the cable you're using. Some don't work.
    Have you tried using StickMount?
    Hello, I am having trouble with this on my Nexus 7. I get the following in CMD and it seems to just be on a loop of trying.

error: more than one device and emulator
    snip
    EDIT******* seems to be working now but oddly enough I just tried doing it with usb debugging disabled......yes with it off lol
    now it shows pushing exploit so stay tuned ill let you know how it goes.

UPDATE:
    [*] Waiting for device...
    * daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
    * daemon started successfully *
    [*] Device found.
    [*] Pushing exploit...
    576 KB/s (1283460 bytes in 2.175s)
    402 KB/s (91980 bytes in 0.223s)
    483 KB/s (1867568 bytes in 3.770s)
    535 KB/s (969701 bytes in 1.770s)

and im now left with a blinking cursor under that last line and waiting for something else to happen

Are you sure you didn't start an emulator when you installed the Android SDK? You might be trying to root an emulator! (That might explain why you apparently saw things happening with ADB turned off).

Anyway, you certainly should not be seeing messages such as this:

error: more than one device and emulator

manually running the command "adb devices" from a command window should show you only a single device listed - your N7.