If you could, would you use the Moto G for a year and wait for the LG G4?

Search This thread
Jan 3, 2014
I've been following this phone for a while, and while I think it'll be the best flagship out this cycle for me, I'm still not too happy with the fact that it's an 801 processor trying to push a 1440p screen.

I'm still split between waiting out about a year for the G4 while using the Moto G or just taking the plunge and getting this phone. Hopefully an 810 processor (or 808 at the worst) should be able to handle the screen without battery/heat/staggering issues.

For people who've used this phone for a while, if you could return your G3 for a full refund and wait for the G4 with a Moto G, would you?

Last edited:

AndroidInsanity

Jan 15, 2012
Huddersfield
www.youtube.com
I've been following this phone for a while, and while I think it'll be the best flagship out this cycle for me, I'm still not too happy with the fact that it's an 801 processor trying to push a 1440p screen.

I'm still split between waiting out about a year for the G4 while using the Moto G or just taking the plunge and getting this phone. Hopefully an 810 processor (or 808 at the worst) should be able to handle the screen without battery/heat/staggering issues.

If you could return your G3 for a full refund and wait for the G4 with a Moto G, would you?

As mentioned by someone else, the screen resolution hardly impacts performance, the 801 chip can handle a 4k screen pretty easily, the problem lies with optimisations, the G2 was the same when it came out, but software updates made it the phone we know for speed today.

, I personally have no heating issues on software 10H, lag does exist but its just a few frame rates, its as fast as any other 801 at opening apps. The moto G is a nice phone, your best bet is holding out until LG fix issues with a software update.

trent999

Nov 16, 2013
I have both a Verizon prepaid MotoG and just recently a Verizon LG G3. Both are very nice phones. I use the G3 though.

MasK

May 15, 2005
Singapore
www.imraneo.com
Yup.. on initial my firmware 10b alot of people were quick to judge the capability of the 801 due to the micro-stutters.
Right now I'm on 10j and all seems well. You'll be surprised how well the 801 handles the 1440p display.

And for your question.. personally, no. The G4 will bring in more unknown issues and satisfaction will never be there. If budget is an issue, then wait and save up. If not, I rather just get the latest and greatest right now.
I sense alot of people are eagerly waiting for a 805 device but the fact is it's aint leaps better. The nVidia K1 is a better beast. So I'm sensing if the G4 may not be alot better than the G3 depending on the chip they use. And if they go beyond 5.5", I'm totally out. Smartphone technology seemed to be saturated at this moment.

cb1111

Jan 24, 2010
One can always wait for the next greatest product. We don't know anything about the G4 so how can anyone advise you to wait for it - or not?

webdevoman

Aug 31, 2011
When do you think the g4 will come out? That seems like a long wait..

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

bayuadhi069

Oct 30, 2013
I think that issues you mention is software maturity problem. Mostly solved in 10j firmware. It play games smoothly so i dont see any problem with 801 on 1440p, maybe in benchmark but i dont play bench.
Im not gonna trade G3 with any other phone at the moment.

haris182

May 4, 2011
Jakarta
If Xiaomi Redmi 1s arrived earlier in my country, I'd bought it first then wait for Nexus 6...
But I'm satisfied with my G3 now.

valefour

Sep 18, 2011
The phone (G3) is great but if you feel no reason to upgrade, I'd say wait.
There's always going to be something better around the corner.
If anything, wait until you're so intrigued by a phone that you don't have to ask yourself that question and you'll just go along and buy it.
New Tegras on the way, those should be nice.

webdevoman

Aug 31, 2011
I would, rite the way. I regret buying this phone and i am thinking about selling it and going back to my nexus 4 and wait for the next nexus.

Really? I've got the nexus 4 now and have had it since it came out and I'm looking for an upgrade. I want a bigger screen, better battery and camera.

Why do you regret the purchase?

My nexus 4 is in mint condition, rooted bit stock and never overclocked. This one is only a few months old as I did a warranty replacement. Let me know if you are interested in selling and swapping.
:)

The problem with waiting for new models is that there are always new models coming out. It is a tough call especially when not knowing about certain models and what they will offer.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Free mobile app

donjamal

Really? I've got the nexus 4 now and have had it since it came out and I'm looking for an upgrade. I want a bigger screen, better battery and camera.

Why do you regret the purchase?

My nexus 4 is in mint condition, rooted bit stock and never overclocked. This one is only a few months old as I did a warranty replacement. Let me know if you are interested in selling and swapping.
:)

The problem with waiting for new models is that there are always new models coming out. It is a tough call especially when not knowing about certain models and what they will offer.

I have my nexus 4 :) that's why I'm thinking about switching back :D but thanks for the offer ;) only thing I would miss is the big screen and the camera but overall the nexus 4 feels snappier than my G3 a lot of times...

trent999

Nov 16, 2013
My nexus4 developed the same dead area in the center of the touchscreen that most of them do eventually. I still have it, but my Nexus5 and now my G3 are a lot more fun. I also have a MotoG and it fits really nicely in my hand - the G3 is really just a bit too big for complete comfort, particularly with any kind of case on it (necessary).
That little MotoG is really a remarkable device.

webdevoman

Aug 31, 2011
Thanks, still love my nexus 4 but really getting itchy for something new. :)

Is your main reason for not wanting the lg g3 just the lag? I'm hoping that stuff will be fixed with updates..

I may end up waiting for the note 4.. Not sure yet but really looking for a larger screen now.

donjamal

Thanks, still love my nexus 4 but really getting itchy for something new. :)

Is your main reason for not wanting the lg g3 just the lag? I'm hoping that stuff will be fixed with updates..

I may end up waiting for the note 4.. Not sure yet but really looking for a larger screen now.

Well, basically yes, the phone is not fluid, and I also started to have the shutdown/reboot bug. All of these I believe to be a hardware issue, and I think LG should recall and replace all these units. It's not nice having a meltdown on a phone. I also think is behind with software, Sony devices are already on 4.4.4 while we are on 4.4.2 (at least me). Also the UI is fugly and unoptimized imo, after having Sony and Nexus devices, I would say Song's UI is the sexiest, if I can't get that, I'd go aosp. But I do like how sexy the phone looks like, I like the camera but the options are limited - there I think again, Sony leads the way -, and I like the remote control. The screen would be awesome if it wouldn't be the reason of the overheating - with the other hardware elements together of course.

helikido

Oct 23, 2010
The 801 has more than enough balls for the qhd display. I can play games smoothly with my cpu and gpu downclocked.

Reactions: JmPTaz09

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The 801 has more than enough balls for the qhd display. I can play games smoothly with my cpu and gpu downclocked.