[Q] Z2, root, unlocking bootloader, DRM keys and Titanium Backup

Search This thread

[w]

May 22, 2014
X-Reality can still work after unlocking your bootloader and rooting, plenty of threads.

X-Reality is not the same as Bravia engine

Screen mirroring, 4k video, blah blah blah, everything works except for the DRM related apps such as Music unlimited and Video unlimited.

Camera function and quality is also NOT affected.

Nothing at all stops working when you unlock your bootloader

There currently isnt any way to backup TA or drm keys

If you unlock ,your TA is wiped along with your data and internal storage
TA partition is where drm keys are stored

You can use google services to backup your apps and this can be found in your settings for some devices, there is app2zip which i use to use but i think app data doesent work right on KK

When i can ill be posting a ref/info thread on all you need to know in the QnA ill ask for a mod to pin it

Sent from my D6503 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Thanks for the answers guys.

Aug 19, 2009
Eindhoven
I'd like to know too.
Yesterday, I unlocked my Z2, installed Doomkernel v0.9 and RomAur v3.1 and now miracast/screen mirroring gives me an HDCP error with my LG smart TV.

Anyone encountered this too?

adamsmth663

Mar 6, 2012
Just wanted to say to any users still undecided about unlocking bootlaoder and rooting

just do it

x-reality just oversaturates colours and drains battery to process every image, i find i like images with it off.
the z2 has a fantastic display and colour range without x-reality

DRM keys never used any of the sony content in my life, infact i rooted and first things i removed was sony social and 'whats new app' which just run in the background drianing battery and probably monitoring your usage to send ads...

Mirorr linking is one of those cool, but probably never use/ use once in a blue moon type feautre.

TL:DR

Unlock that boot loader, root it and start modifying the phone to your taste ( the main point of getting android?)
You lose nothing vital

xarfrost

Mar 16, 2012
Reading thru this thread tells me that
1. Camera is working as it should
2. Xreality works

But do these still work?
1. Gracenote? I like downloading info and album arts for my music.
2. ClearAudio+

adamsmth663

Mar 6, 2012
Reading thru this thread tells me that
1. Camera is working as it should
2. Xreality works

But do these still work?
1. Gracenote? I like downloading info and album arts for my music.
2. ClearAudio+

Thread is irrelvant now

Root exploit has been found so you dont need to unlock BL anymore

however you can now back up TA.img, unlock bootloader, install a custom rom and provided you use a stock kernel you can restore your TA

Technowhiteboi

Dec 21, 2013
Eastcoast
I am going to be new to owning a sony xperia z2 (first sony device i have ever owned) and I was reading and saw that the z3 was affected by unlocking the BL. (The camera quality in low light decreased)

so now after time has passed, I just want to ask if unlocking the BL on the z2 will at all effect the camera quality?

thanks for your time. sorry to ask this question again, the camera is very important for me.

Oh let me add some details i missed

All xperia devices that have KK 4.4 are not affected by Unlocking your bootloader, its been proven quite alot here on XDA,

Unless sony treat a spesific device differently which may be the Z1 which i doubt because KK FW for xperias are very alike, just minor config differences and device spesifics aside the kernel

Envious_Data

Oct 12, 2012
Imagination
enviousmedia.design
I am going to be new to owning a sony xperia z2 (first sony device i have ever owned) and I was reading and saw that the z3 was affected by unlocking the BL. (The camera quality in low light decreased)

so now after time has passed, I just want to ask if unlocking the BL on the z2 will at all effect the camera quality?

thanks for your time. sorry to ask this question again, the camera is very important for me.

Z3 YES
Z2 No

Sony are able to protect things from being stolen on Z2 so nothing at all is lost from bootloader unlocking

I havent lost anything at all exept x-reality but that has never ever worked at all for me

Reactions: Technowhiteboi

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok, after more digging, it appears that the xperia Z line uses DRM to also lock things like "Bravia engine" (x-reality) and other things like screen mirroring.
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=53134830&postcount=328
    even tho you can toggle it in settings, it is permanently disabled.

on a side note, regarding migrating over from S2 to Z2 when it doesn't support root, I found helium.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.koushikdutta.backup

X-Reality can still work after unlocking your bootloader and rooting, plenty of threads.

X-Reality is not the same as Bravia engine

Screen mirroring, 4k video, blah blah blah, everything works except for the DRM related apps such as Music unlimited and Video unlimited.

Camera function and quality is also NOT affected.
    Hi,

So after reading a bunch of posts, I want to verify if I understand the current state of things with the Z2
    - There is no current way to backup the TA partition on the Z2 right now.
    - Because there is no way to backup the TA partition, if i unlock the bootloader I will lose all the DRM keys
    - There is no other way to root the phone then unlocking the bootloader

If I understand that correctly, a few questions:
    - besides X-Reality, trackid, what are some of the important/desireable features that will not work without DRM keys?
    - I'm coming from an S2. How might i transfer apps and data onto the Z2? I was planning to use Titanium Backup but without root this doesn't seem possible

thanks in advance.

Nothing at all stops working when you unlock your bootloader

There currently isnt any way to backup TA or drm keys

If you unlock ,your TA is wiped along with your data and internal storage
    TA partition is where drm keys are stored

You can use google services to backup your apps and this can be found in your settings for some devices, there is app2zip which i use to use but i think app data doesent work right on KK

When i can ill be posting a ref/info thread on all you need to know in the QnA ill ask for a mod to pin it

Why are u so sure??
    did someone already make serious test like they did on Z1?

Oh let me add some details i missed

All xperia devices that have KK 4.4 are not affected by Unlocking your bootloader, its been proven quite alot here on XDA,

Unless sony treat a spesific device differently which may be the Z1 which i doubt because KK FW for xperias are very alike, just minor config differences and device spesifics aside the kernel

O maybe u got me a bit wrong
    i mean the quality of camera on Z1 with LB is significantly better than a Z1 with UB, there's a thread about it
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2722106

(well, X-reality still works on UB Z1)
    Unlike Z1, Z2 has no return for unlocking the bootloader. U cant swap between locked and unlocked to test the difference
    so i doubt there might be somehow of difference between LB and UB in Z2 even if u still think photo looks great on UB Z2

Has any other sony kitkat devices made such test between LB and UB photo???

Probably not, i know UB and LB is exact same with Z2, because i posted screenshots and stuff proving everything works

It seems only Z1 is affected by UB all others are totaly fine, im unsure of Z1 compact though, seems to be lacking solid information

Come on I'm talking about camera quality not X-reality
    X-reality works on all sony 4.4, we agree that
    I mean the photo u took after unlocking the bootloader may have worse quality compared to that in locked bootloader

It seems not to have made any difference for me

I did take 2 pics one from before and after unlocking my bootloader
    (forgot who reminded me to do this test)

Settings:
    Manual
    Iso 100
    Spot metering
    Exposure 0.0
    White balance, cloudy
    15.5mp/16:9

Edit:1st one is before
    2nd one is after

Analysis, 0 differences aside light assistance
    Test result: nul
    End results: UBL affects nothing