[UTIL] New Root Method as of 8/13! -> UPDATED 12/30 for NOOBS! <-

Search This thread

nbetcher

Jan 2, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Hello everyone!
You may or may not know me, however I have secretly been working behind the scenes with ChiefzReloaded to learn how Android works. Together we have been trying to develop new ways to root the Slide, primarily because we both landed in a sticky situation that left us both without root and without a way to revert to root.

After many long hours of trying to restore my phone, I have now ported the exploid exploit to the MyTouch Slide! This means that you can gain root on any version of the Slide, INCLUDING the latest OTA! However, this isn't necessarily "easy" as in the One-Click Root program, but there are reasons for this. While Android is running we cannot write to /system and even if we force Linux to let us, the NAND protection will prevent Linux from completing the write!

To get started, please see the bottom of this post for the link and download it. You will want to download it to your computer and not your phone's SD card. Also, you will need the tools from the Android SDK. I would suggest extracting the file from my zip at the bottom of this page into the Android SDK's tools directory.

1. Extract the zip
  2. Make sure your phone is in USB debugging mode AND you are in "Charge Only" mode.
  3. Connect your phone to your computer.
  4. Make sure you're in the same directory as where exploid is extracted before continuing to the next step.
  5. Issue the following command: adb push exploid /sqlite_stmt_journals. Note: It MUST be in that directory - NO exceptions.
  6. Run: adb shell
  7. Run: cd /sqlite_stmt_journals
  8. Run: chmod 0755 exploid
  9. Run: ./exploid
  10. Toggle your phone's Wifi (on or off, however you wish to do that).
  11. Now (again) run: ./exploid (if prompted for a password enter: secretlol)
  12. The next line should now begin with a pound (#) - if not, then something isn't setup right. Make sure to follow the directions verbatim. If you suspect you did follow them correctly, please reply to this post letting me know.
  13. You should now be root! At this point you can do many things, but if you're looking to flash a custom ROM, continue to these instructions:
[NEW 10/18/2010:]
Steps 1-12 are intended to get you the ability to flash mtd0.img (which previously required using the SimpleRoot method) by gaining root inside of Android. By following the instructions in the rest of this section, it will allow you to flash a ROM or S-OFF your device:

1. The files you need are at: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=703076- download both files linked in there (ESPRIMG.zip and SlideEng-package.zip)
  2. Extract the contents of SlideEng-package.zip to a place of your choosing on your computer.
  3. Place the entire (unextracted) ESPRIMG.zip on your SDcard.
  4. Now push the files 'flash_image' and 'mtd0.img' that you just extracted from SlideEng-package.zip to /data/local using 'adb push'. (Noob? Instead of using 'adb push', install Droid Explorer and, using that utility, copy the 'flash_image' and 'mtd0.img' files to /data/local on your Slide)

Now I'm going to assume your phone is at root prompt (#) using steps 1-12. So now do (without typing the '#' symbols in front of both lines - they're just there to remind you that you need to be at a '#' prompt):

Code:
# cd /data/local
# chmod 04755 flash_image
# ./flash_image misc mtd0.img
Before you reboot make sure that the ESPRIMG.zip is on your SDcard!

1. Now turn off the phone.
  2. Then press Volume-Down + Power.
  3. The phone will power on and after about 5 minutes of verifying ESPRIMG.zip it will ask you if you want to flash it.
  4. Press Volume-Up for 'YES' and wait until it finishes (ABSOLUTELY DO NOT POWER DOWN WHILE IT'S STILL FLASHING!!!).
Now when you go into recovery it should allow you to 'Apply update.zip from sdcard' (booting into Clockwork). If you don't have the Clockwork update.zip, here it is: http://www.4shared.com/file/OTRU7T3y/update_2.html (rename to update.zip after downloading since it's currently update_2.zip, then place it on your sdcard).
[/NEW 10/18/2010]

[NEW 12/30/2010]
Optional: Now that you're rooted you might want to disable all flash memory protections so you can permanently flash Clockworkmod (recovery - no more using an update.zip!) as well as other random things. Check here for details: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=798168
[/NEW 12/30/2010]

CREDIT GOES TO:
[*] ChiefzReloaded! (For helping me learn the intricacies of Android and patiently answering all of my questions)
[*] 743C (For developing the original exploit)

Source code: (Yes, it's hackish. I was just trying to figure out why the system kept rebooting and haven't cleaned up the code since) download

DOWNLOAD:
http://www.4shared.com/file/CZsxSq-f/exploid.html

DONATE:

(Anything helps!)

(Some people may wonder why this is special compared to the One Click Root application. What's important is that One Click Root doesn't work on Slides running production/retail software, likely the same problem I had to fix to get exploid to work in my version.)

Last edited:

r0man

Apr 17, 2009
Seattle
If you be trollin then YOU BES TRAWLLIN

But if not then good job nb! :D

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using XDA App

falken98

Jun 11, 2010
Can you provide the source? No offense, but I tend not to run homebrew C programs that I didn't compile myself.

Thanks for all the work!

ilostchild

Dec 7, 2009
Good to see this I suggested this in another thread glad to see it in use thanks a bunch

nbetcher

Jan 2, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Good to see this I suggested this in another thread glad to see it in use thanks a bunch

I actually had to do a lot of work on it. It doesn't quite work the same as the original exploid simply because the original exploid crashes the entire system and reboots. This causes the rootshell to never be committed to NAND and thus you get no where. I had to keep playing with things until I found a different method that works. It took several hours of me being upset with it, but watched the latest Burn Notice, came back to it, and BAM I had a stroke of genius. ;)

Armyjon88

Jun 25, 2010
where is rootshell? i can't exicute rootshell nor can i "cp" any files from sdcard however i do have a # instead of a $

nbetcher

Jan 2, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
where is rootshell? i can't exicute rootshell nor can i "cp" any files from sdcard however i do have a # instead of a $

Ignore that portion of the instructions provided by the program. As I stated, this is not intended for non-developers at this point. The # is your indication that you're running as root.

I am headed to work, but I don't usually have much going on there - I will be setting up a much cleaner system/environment for non-developers to work with and perma-root their phones with over the next few hours. Stay tuned!

statuzz

Jul 31, 2009
SWF
having # and running as root as stated before u can actually follow with eng and then custom recovery and ur choice's rom..pls correct me if im wrong..thanx

televate

May 22, 2009
OnePlus 8T
having # and running as root as stated before u can actually follow with eng and then custom recovery and ur choice's rom..pls correct me if im wrong..thanx

i'm also wondering the same thing, because i got the exploid working, and i have the # in the shell, but when i go to follow the instructions to flash the eng-release, i can't cd to any different dirs, nor can i push any files to the phone. i have the ESPRIMG.zip copied to my sdcard, so could i just reboot into recovery and flash the nbh from there? any help is appreciated.

UnkzDomain

Nov 9, 2008
Louisville
unkzdomain.com
Ignore that portion of the instructions provided by the program. As I stated, this is not intended for non-developers at this point. The # is your indication that you're running as root.

I am headed to work, but I don't usually have much going on there - I will be setting up a much cleaner system/environment for non-developers to work with and perma-root their phones with over the next few hours. Stay tuned!
Let me know if you want to work together on some kind of one-click root app for the Slide. If the commands work through the terminal on the phone itself rather than via adb, I could probably make this into an app already, but since you're working on a more non-developer-friendly version, I'll just wait until that's out :p

nbetcher

Jan 2, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
i'm also wondering the same thing, because i got the exploid working, and i have the # in the shell, but when i go to follow the instructions to flash the eng-release, i can't cd to any different dirs, nor can i push any files to the phone. i have the ESPRIMG.zip copied to my sdcard, so could i just reboot into recovery and flash the nbh from there? any help is appreciated.

I'm delaying the release of my non-developer program for another couple hours.

As far as what you said above, all you need to do after gaining the # prompt is (in a separate window):
adb push flash_image /data/local
adb push mtd0.img /data/local
(switch back to your # adb shell, then type:)
cd /data/local
chmod 04755 flash_image
./flash_image misc mtd0.img

Then reboot and apply the ESPRIMG.zip. All of these files are found on the same post that I referenced in my OP. These instructions are all in that same page.

Ace42

Jul 20, 2009
USA
Moto G Power
Motorola Edge

Im also stuck since im not sure if you can update to eng from the ota..But first i want to personally thank the OP & CR for providing this.

lviv73

Mar 3, 2010
Buffalo NY
Does this root method gets /system moumted when android running?In short do we finaly get metamorph and root explorer working?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello everyone!
    You may or may not know me, however I have secretly been working behind the scenes with ChiefzReloaded to learn how Android works. Together we have been trying to develop new ways to root the Slide, primarily because we both landed in a sticky situation that left us both without root and without a way to revert to root.

After many long hours of trying to restore my phone, I have now ported the exploid exploit to the MyTouch Slide! This means that you can gain root on any version of the Slide, INCLUDING the latest OTA! However, this isn't necessarily "easy" as in the One-Click Root program, but there are reasons for this. While Android is running we cannot write to /system and even if we force Linux to let us, the NAND protection will prevent Linux from completing the write!

To get started, please see the bottom of this post for the link and download it. You will want to download it to your computer and not your phone's SD card. Also, you will need the tools from the Android SDK. I would suggest extracting the file from my zip at the bottom of this page into the Android SDK's tools directory.

1. Extract the zip
    2. Make sure your phone is in USB debugging mode AND you are in "Charge Only" mode.
    3. Connect your phone to your computer.
    4. Make sure you're in the same directory as where exploid is extracted before continuing to the next step.
    5. Issue the following command: adb push exploid /sqlite_stmt_journals. Note: It MUST be in that directory - NO exceptions.
    6. Run: adb shell
    7. Run: cd /sqlite_stmt_journals
    8. Run: chmod 0755 exploid
    9. Run: ./exploid
    10. Toggle your phone's Wifi (on or off, however you wish to do that).
    11. Now (again) run: ./exploid (if prompted for a password enter: secretlol)
    12. The next line should now begin with a pound (#) - if not, then something isn't setup right. Make sure to follow the directions verbatim. If you suspect you did follow them correctly, please reply to this post letting me know.
    13. You should now be root! At this point you can do many things, but if you're looking to flash a custom ROM, continue to these instructions:
    [NEW 10/18/2010:]
    Steps 1-12 are intended to get you the ability to flash mtd0.img (which previously required using the SimpleRoot method) by gaining root inside of Android. By following the instructions in the rest of this section, it will allow you to flash a ROM or S-OFF your device:

1. The files you need are at: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=703076- download both files linked in there (ESPRIMG.zip and SlideEng-package.zip)
    2. Extract the contents of SlideEng-package.zip to a place of your choosing on your computer.
    3. Place the entire (unextracted) ESPRIMG.zip on your SDcard.
    4. Now push the files 'flash_image' and 'mtd0.img' that you just extracted from SlideEng-package.zip to /data/local using 'adb push'. (Noob? Instead of using 'adb push', install Droid Explorer and, using that utility, copy the 'flash_image' and 'mtd0.img' files to /data/local on your Slide)

Now I'm going to assume your phone is at root prompt (#) using steps 1-12. So now do (without typing the '#' symbols in front of both lines - they're just there to remind you that you need to be at a '#' prompt):

Code:
    # cd /data/local
    # chmod 04755 flash_image
    # ./flash_image misc mtd0.img
    Before you reboot make sure that the ESPRIMG.zip is on your SDcard!

1. Now turn off the phone.
    2. Then press Volume-Down + Power.
    3. The phone will power on and after about 5 minutes of verifying ESPRIMG.zip it will ask you if you want to flash it.
    4. Press Volume-Up for 'YES' and wait until it finishes (ABSOLUTELY DO NOT POWER DOWN WHILE IT'S STILL FLASHING!!!).
    Now when you go into recovery it should allow you to 'Apply update.zip from sdcard' (booting into Clockwork). If you don't have the Clockwork update.zip, here it is: http://www.4shared.com/file/OTRU7T3y/update_2.html (rename to update.zip after downloading since it's currently update_2.zip, then place it on your sdcard).
    [/NEW 10/18/2010]

[NEW 12/30/2010]
    Optional: Now that you're rooted you might want to disable all flash memory protections so you can permanently flash Clockworkmod (recovery - no more using an update.zip!) as well as other random things. Check here for details: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=798168
    [/NEW 12/30/2010]

CREDIT GOES TO:
    [*] ChiefzReloaded! (For helping me learn the intricacies of Android and patiently answering all of my questions)
    [*] 743C (For developing the original exploit)

Source code: (Yes, it's hackish. I was just trying to figure out why the system kept rebooting and haven't cleaned up the code since) download

DOWNLOAD:
    http://www.4shared.com/file/CZsxSq-f/exploid.html

DONATE:

(Anything helps!)

(Some people may wonder why this is special compared to the One Click Root application. What's important is that One Click Root doesn't work on Slides running production/retail software, likely the same problem I had to fix to get exploid to work in my version.)
    I've written a comprehensive n00b guide for rooting and unrooting at: http://richard.gluga.com/2010/08/complete-guide-to-rooting-and-hacking.html

It's based on the information in this thread and other XDA threads. I take no credit for it and point readers back to these forums and the original devs.

If you're still stuck/unsure, perhaps have a read though that.

As for the permission denied error, someone who had the same issue commented with this:

'I figured it out. I was trying to re-run exploid for some reason. Anyways I am now rockin the latest Cyanogen. Thanks for the help and the great instructions!'

Not sure if it applies though. Good luck!
    ESPRIMG.zip

For all those who cannot get Fastboot to load ESPRIMG.zip: make sure your SD card is formatted as a FAT32.

Took me 3 hours to figure out that is the problem. :D
    hi, i get to to the clockwork recovery and am able to install cm 6 but when i reboot, it gets to the mytouch splash screen, then reboots, and goes back into recovery im unsure of where to proceed with this, any help would be appriciated

Just try flashing it again. And/or do a complete wipe in Clockwork, then reflash again. It sounds like it's not flashing correctly or there's a problem with stale files from your old CACHE: partition (most likely scenario).
    adb push exploid /sqlite_stmt_journals

failed to copy 'exploid' to '/sqlite_stmt_journals' : Permission denied

Can't get past here.

is this your second try pushing the file? if "yes"
    if it was pushed before, you get that error

Run: adb shell
    Run: cd /sqlite_stmt_journals
    Run: ./exploid
    type the password

The tut jumps all over the place