[Q] Secure fail:kernel verizon help

Search This thread

gbushy121

Mar 24, 2014
I have been trying to flash the Liquidsmooth rom to my phone. In the process I have been figuring out how to back up my data so I don't lose all my personal files if I mess up. When I tried to install clockworkmod recovery (through another third party app, in hindsight not the greatest idea,) when I try and boot into recovery mode, it gives me a message in the top right corner saying

"secure fail: kernel"

and underneath that in bold print says
"System software not authorized by Verizon Wireless has been found on your phone"

then proceeds to tell me to visit Verizon store to get help which I know they won't. I would like to figure out how to get this message to go away now that I thoroughly have researched Liquidsmooth and clockworkmod recovery and now know how they both work, the only thing keeping me back is this error message.

Also, if possible I would like to be able to keep my data safe on my phone while getting rid of this so I do not lose all of my contacts, app data, personal notes and things of that sort. That is the problem though, to flash the custom rom I would like to first backup all my data so I don't lose it.

thanks for your help

Last edited:

scootier

May 18, 2013
I have not seen that message before.
You certain that your are on MDK and have loki up and running?

Sounds to me like you're on something later, and tried to replace kernel which has set the Knox flag.
I'd guess you need to look into safestrap after you Odin back to stock.

decaturbob

Mar 30, 2011
Decatur
I have been trying to flash the Liquidsmooth rom to my phone. In the process I have been figuring out how to back up my data so I don't lose all my personal files if I mess up. When I tried to install clockworkmod recovery (through another third party app, in hindsight not the greatest idea,) when I try and boot into recovery mode, it gives me a message in the top right corner saying

"secure fail: kernel"

and underneath that in bold print says
"System software not authorized by Verizon Wireless has been found on your phone"

then proceeds to tell me to visit Verizon store to get help which I know they won't. I would like to figure out how to get this message to go away now that I thoroughly have researched Liquidsmooth and clockworkmod recovery and now know how they both work, the only thing keeping me back is this error message.

Also, if possible I would like to be able to keep my data safe on my phone while getting rid of this so I do not lose all of my contacts, app data, personal notes and things of that sort. That is the problem though, to flash the custom rom I would like to first backup all my data so I don't lose it.

thanks for your help

what is your basebuild?

Mistertac

Oct 22, 2013
Springfield, Ma
Sounds like it's not mdk.
However people have been having problems lately with ROM manager installing custom recoveries. "Secure fail: kernel" does sound post mdk though.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

k1mu

Apr 11, 2011
Virginia
It may also be that the CWM isn't loki'd.
If you're sure that your phone has the MDK bootloader, try the all-in-one tool to install CWM.

zeb carter

I am seeing the same thing and using a LOKI'd version of CWM 6.0.4.4. I tried installing the latest Omnirom this morning and ran into the same brick wall. I am on MDK - build & baseband.

I had tried to take the nightly update of 3/23 and got the same thing. This after having taken the previous updates successfully.

There's more going on here than meets the eye. I have run Triangle Away and reset the flash counter. Still no joy in Mudville!

Currently, I am back on the stock rom and rooted.

Mistertac

Oct 22, 2013
Springfield, Ma
I am seeing the same thing and using a LOKI'd version of CWM 6.0.4.4. I tried installing the latest Omnirom this morning and ran into the same brick wall. I am on MDK - build & baseband.

I had tried to take the nightly update of 3/23 and got the same thing. This after having taken the previous updates successfully.

There's more going on here than meets the eye. I have run Triangle Away and reset the flash counter. Still no joy in Mudville!

Currently, I am back on the stock rom and rooted.

I read on the Omni thread that others had that same thing happen. So that's an Omni issue as far as I know. I think some people are having issues with ROM manager installing their recoveries as well. Those folks have gotten past that issue by Odin back mdk and then using Flashify to install a recovery.

If the recovery isn't Loki'd properly and or the ROM/kernel....Then the problems begin. I'm sure you know this though

zeb carter

I read on the Omni thread that others had that same thing happen. So that's an Omni issue as far as I know. I think some people are having issues with ROM manager installing their recoveries as well. Those folks have gotten past that issue by Odin back mdk and then using Flashify to install a recovery.

If the recovery isn't Loki'd properly and or the ROM/kernel....Then the problems begin. I'm sure you know this though

I'm gonna throw another piece of the puzzle out - as I said, I am back to stock, rooted. Not debloated (yet). Getting a security message "Detection information: The device has detected an application attempting unpermitted sactions. To protect your device, it is recommended you reboot". Reboot now or Reboot later comes up when you click on the message.

Baseband version: I545VRUAMDK, Kernel version: 3.4.0-423399 se.infra@SEP-124 #1 Tue Apr 9 23:53:54 KST 2013, Build number: JDQ39.I545VRUAMDK, SELinux status: Permissive, Hardware version: I545.06

Hope this helps!

Mistertac

Oct 22, 2013
Springfield, Ma
I'm gonna throw another piece of the puzzle out - as I said, I am back to stock, rooted. Not debloated (yet). Getting a security message "Detection information: The device has detected an application attempting unpermitted sactions. To protect your device, it is recommended you reboot". Reboot now or Reboot later comes up when you click on the message.

Baseband version: I545VRUAMDK, Kernel version: 3.4.0-423399 se.infra@SEP-124 #1 Tue Apr 9 23:53:54 KST 2013, Build number: JDQ39.I545VRUAMDK, SELinux status: Permissive, Hardware version: I545.06

Hope this helps!

I believe if you freeze " SEAndroid" in TiBu those silly messages will go away. Its picking up an app you installed as a security risk. Even though it may very well not be. Worth a try.

---------- Post added at 12:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:44 PM ----------

Also check to see that "verify apps" is unchecked under developer options. That should also do it.

Last edited: