Battery life of Samsung Focus is short.

Search This thread

wangxiaohu

Sep 7, 2008
Does anyone agree that the battery life for Samsung Focus is really short?

I use my phone to check emails, browse websites and listen to music during lunch, dinner and on the road. The total hands on time per day is roughly 2hrs. But if I only charge it overnight, not anytime else, it only last until right after dinner.

It unacceptably short comparing to my ex-phone, HTC Touch Pro2.

Anyone experiencing the same thing?

Who should take care of this issue? Samsung or Microsoft?

jimenez16

Dec 7, 2010
My phone on moderate use will last me 1.5-2 days but I usually charge it at the end of the night regardless. In the first couple of days I did notice that the battery would drain pretty fast but seemed to get better after that.

FishFaceMcGee

Nov 11, 2010
Indianapolis
Mine will typically go from 7:30 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. or so while still having the battery indicator having something inside. That's with it being used all day as an mp3 player, triaging email, web surfing, and Twitter.

siralex241

May 17, 2009
Chicago
When you get a new phone the battery has to go through a couple of cycles charging for the phone to calibrate. Also, keep in mind things that drain battery: light theme, streaming, basically downloading massive amounts of data. Make you sure you discharge your battery to about 10% and fully charge your battery a couple of times. Try not to go below 10% not good for battery. Make sure you are using wall adapter ac to charge. Charging from a pc is very slow and generally doesn't fully charge unless you leave it plugged for a LONG time.

Light use I'd say 1.5 days

Moderate 1 full day

Heavy use 7-8 hours

Last edited:

enjoythemusic

Jan 8, 2009
www.EnjoyTheMusic.com
With light use i get about 4 to 5 days, heavy use i get about a day or two. Check to see if you have location services (GPS) running, wifi, etc as the more parasitic things you can turn off the better the battery life of course.

Tempest790

Jun 30, 2007
New Orleans
Mine lasts all day for me. A long 16+ hour day with moderate usage leaves me at about 30-35% battery. I keep Wi-Fi turned off and bluetooth always on. Not bad for a smart phone. I've seen phones far worse than this (Sprint Epic anyone?).

1jaxstate1

May 1, 2008
My battery last abour 8 - 9 hours, and I'm running for a outlet by then. But I'm a heavy user. Bt headphones with the music playing, twitter constantly, facebook, text, email, IE..., pretty much all of those 8 - 9 hours.

FL5

Nov 28, 2009
Dallas, TX
I have just about everything that I can find turned on, and have been using my new toy as much as possible. With that, I'm having to charge about twice a day, which is roughly where I was at with my Tilt2. Your battery drainage really sounds like it's normal, and likely related entirely to how much crap you have turned on and running in the background. The biggest drainer of the battery in any phone is gonna be the radio, so if you want to improve battery life, turn off stuff that connects to the network and set your email/weather/tweets/facebook to refresh much less often. Select "as items arrive" for your hotmail and Gmail so that they push instead of pull. Check your basics first before trying to find a customer service rep to chew out.

Seed 2.0

Oct 26, 2010
OH-IO
I'm happy with my battery life. I just charge it every night like I have every phone Ive owned. I use my phones as my morning alarm clock. I have all location services active, and i activate WiFi when usable. At work I leave it plugged in to stream music and podcast.

codyt01

Jun 21, 2008
Coming from Android and Droid Incredible, the Focus is awesome on battery. I have no problem lasting the full day. I charge my phone each night overnight.

willp2

Nov 8, 2004
It's a mixed bag for me. the first few days when I was just getting to know it, making calls and just goofing around with basic functionality the battery was lasting very long and things were looking great.

Once I started using the data and other apps, the battery drains very fast IMO. I mean play a 2D game for half an hour and I won’t make it through the day.

Right now I’m not digging it that if I’m out and about I feel like I need to avoid using the phone like I would like to.

I’m really looking forward to being able to do things like being able to easily disable 3g.

Bwyan Benton

Jun 29, 2010
Windsor, Ontario
I'm most certainly happy with my battery life. After using a nexus one, xperia x10 and the galaxy s I have nothing to complain about with the focus....just lovin wp7 at the moment.

FishFaceMcGee

Nov 11, 2010
Indianapolis
It's a mixed bag for me. the first few days when I was just getting to know it, making calls and just goofing around with basic functionality the battery was lasting very long and things were looking great.

Once I started using the data and other apps, the battery drains very fast IMO. I mean play a 2D game for half an hour and I won’t make it through the day.

Right now I’m not digging it that if I’m out and about I feel like I need to avoid using the phone like I would like to.

I’m really looking forward to being able to do things like being able to easily disable 3g.

Games are always battery killers, especially on AMOLED screens that tend to get the best battery life with black interfaces, since they actually don't light the pixels up if they're supposed to be black.

magare

May 21, 2009
Brisbane
Battery life

It depends on how the phone has been used. Screen is the biggest power drain, than the radio (3G data, WiFI, location services).
With all on and moderate usage (gaming for 30 mins, a few calls, and playing with the phone for an hour) I get about 12 -13 hours.
With all off and a few TXT and calls (about 10 -12) I get about 76 hours.

Not bad I guess.

This phone is better than iPhone 3GS.:p

Zhariak

Aug 5, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
My phone on moderate use will last me 1.5-2 days but I usually charge it at the end of the night regardless. In the first couple of days I did notice that the battery would drain pretty fast but seemed to get better after that.

I agree, I was loosing full battery within half a day with my normal usage for the first 4-6 days... Then after a while, now I can go for 2 days without charging under normal usage...

The battery life on this thing rocks!

denizen08

Dec 7, 2010
I agree, I was loosing full battery within half a day with my normal usage for the first 4-6 days... Then after a while, now I can go for 2 days without charging under normal usage...

The battery life on this thing rocks!

I use my Focus heavily for reading texts off of PDFs and browse the internet using WiFi most of the day, and in my free times I listen to music so I use it quite heavily. Yesterday I ran it through my routine day and got about 14-15 hours of full operational time from 100% charge as I took off from my dormitory to university to 0% half-way back to my dorm. My only problem is the length of time it has to be plugged in to charge. Its pretty slow, but that may be because of the large battery capacity to begin with. :)

leo5111

Nov 27, 2010
Port Orchard WA
the battery life is just OK, hopefully like with other cellphone updates maybe battery life will be improved at least somewhat, we can hope....:rolleyes:

willp2

Nov 8, 2004
I have two of these things. Mine I use a lot and while the battery lasts less than my old 3GS, I am getting used to it and end up keeping hooked up to a charger pretty often.

My wife's on the other hand is baffling. She hardly uses the thing, maybe a call every day or two. For a while there we were getting about 3 days from a charge and then it would still have around 30%-50% left.

Now in the last few days, it drains the battery completely overnight. And I mean completely its totally shut down and dead. That’s with wifi and Bluetooth off and virtually no usage. Not sure what is happening, but this really sucks as now she can’t count on the thing to just be a phone without needing to be babied.