Battery or motherboard broblem? Yellow triangle with exclamation mark !

Search This thread

prashantkd

Aug 23, 2012
Hi,

I am very new to the Android world. Got a SGH-i777 from AT&T in US in February 2012 and had to move back to India in June. I got the unlock code from AT&T and used the device for 2 months without issues here on the local network.

Yesterday, the phone showed me a critically low battery message all of a sudden (I had fully charged it the night before) and turned off. When connected to the charger, I get the image of the battery with a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark in it.

Thinking it may be a battery issue, I took it to a local Samsung repair center and he tried using a working battery in it, but still got the same image. He suggested that it may be a motherboard isssue.

Please help !!! I am still in the AT&T contract.

r_k236

Aug 16, 2012
It happened also with my I9100 but i just continue to charge the phone and it disappeared.. try it ;)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium

creepyncrawly

Sep 3, 2010
Just a thought. There are a lot of non-nfc batteries around. Are you sure the person at the repair center used the proper battery. The I777 must have an nfc battery. Worth checking out. May still just be the battery failing.

bubuty

Aug 21, 2012
I guess you continue charging it. Are you on a stock rom?

sent from sgh-i777 using tapatalk

prashantkd

Aug 23, 2012
It happened also with my I9100 but i just continue to charge the phone and it disappeared.. try it ;)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium

I will certainly try it out. I will charge the phone for the entire night and check it out in the morning. Thanks for your reply. BTW< how long did you charge your I9100 when you faced this problem?

prashantkd

Aug 23, 2012
I guess you continue charging it. Are you on a stock rom?

sent from sgh-i777 using tapatalk

Sorry, I am still not up to speed with the Andriod lingo,so didn't fully understand the word "stock rom" but I have not rooted the device if that's what you are asking. I will continue charging it and check after some hours. Fingers crossed..:angel:

prashantkd

Aug 23, 2012
Just a thought. There are a lot of non-nfc batteries around. Are you sure the person at the repair center used the proper battery. The I777 must have an nfc battery. Worth checking out. May still just be the battery failing.

Hmmm, I am not sure which battery he used. Will try a long continuous charge first and if it doesn't work will take it back to the repair center and check if he has an NFC battery. I hope it is just a battery problem and nothing more serious. Thanks for your reply.

prashantkd

Aug 23, 2012
An update: I charged the battery for the entire night and got a 100% charged indication in the morning. But when I disconnected the charger and tried to turn on the phone, I have the same issue. I still get the yellow triangle with the exclamation mark.

But this time around, I was able to enter the recovery mode by pressing the Volup+VolDwn+power key and I rebooted the phone from the recovery screen and it worked fine. I am able to run the downloaded apps, make calls etc.

Now, I notice 2 new things:
1) Every time I turn the phone off or when it turns off automatically (which it does very frequently since today), it doesnt restart normally. I have to enter the recovery mode to reboot the phone and make it operational

2) When the phone is turned on and when I charge it, no matter how long I charge, the charge percentage shows 78% always.I guess the only time I get a full 100% charge indication is when the phone is turned off and then charged.

All this is leading me to believe that there might be a problem in the battery. If the phone operates properly from the recovery mode, I guess there is no issue with the mother board. Any ideas?? Please suggest.

creepyncrawly

Sep 3, 2010
I can make some observations. Please bear in mind that anything I say is speculation, basically guess work.

From your description, it sounds like a problem with the battery charging circuitry. It doesn't sound like just the battery itself, but that is the easiest thing to test, by getting a new or at least different battery and trying it.

As far as the battery circuitry, it could be either a hardware failure problem, or a firmware problem. Are you still running stock firmware or have you customized the phone? And which firmware version does it have? If I had the phone, I would reflash the stock firmware to see if the charging issue clears up. If that didn't fix the issue, then I would suspect some form of hardware failure.

Reactions: clay101eve

DSTG

Jul 29, 2012
Killeen

Is that something common? I have had an extended battery for about a week with no issues. As far as I know, it does not have intergrated NFC antenna (or chip...seems a subject of debate whether or not stock batter contains just the antenna or chip too). Anyway, I bought the batterny knowing the feature wasn't there. Unless by some fluke a tthe time of order I happened to get an updated version of the battery, but I seriously doubt it as there is not any indication on the battery itself that it does, aside from having 4 prongs. Which leads me to believe with the right materials I can create my own antenna and slap it on there....assuming people are wring with the whole chip thing. Just thought I'd mention since I don't have NFC and don't have that problem...and now curious as to why you suspect it for affect battery charge and the sort.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I can make some observations. Please bear in mind that anything I say is speculation, basically guess work.

From your description, it sounds like a problem with the battery charging circuitry. It doesn't sound like just the battery itself, but that is the easiest thing to test, by getting a new or at least different battery and trying it.

As far as the battery circuitry, it could be either a hardware failure problem, or a firmware problem. Are you still running stock firmware or have you customized the phone? And which firmware version does it have? If I had the phone, I would reflash the stock firmware to see if the charging issue clears up. If that didn't fix the issue, then I would suspect some form of hardware failure.