[Q] Can't Connect to WiFi Network That's Not Broadcasting SSID

Search This thread

Apota

Dec 21, 2007
I just purchased the Samsung Galaxy S5 and I have a Western Digital My Net N750 Router. I have SSID Broadcast Disabled and the S5 won't connect. If I start broadcasting the SSID it has no problems connecting.

I have over 20 other devices that have no problems connecting with the SSID disabled, so I don't understand why the S5 can't do it. Even my 3 year old Samsung Galaxy Nexus has no problems connecting with SSID disabled.

I called Verizon and they said they haven't heard of this problem before and that the phone is defective and to return it for a replacement but I have a feeling I'll have the same problem with the replacement phone. I've searched Google trying to find people with similar problems but I can't find any other posts. Can you please help me! Thanks so much.

kprice8

Apr 23, 2014
Lansing MI
I just purchased the Samsung Galaxy S5 and I have a Western Digital My Net N750 Router. I have SSID Broadcast Disabled and the S5 won't connect. If I start broadcasting the SSID it has no problems connecting.

I have over 20 other devices that have no problems connecting with the SSID disabled, so I don't understand why the S5 can't do it. Even my 3 year old Samsung Galaxy Nexus has no problems connecting with SSID disabled.

I called Verizon and they said they haven't heard of this problem before and that the phone is defective and to return it for a replacement but I have a feeling I'll have the same problem with the replacement phone. I've searched Google trying to find people with similar problems but I can't find any other posts. Can you please help me! Thanks so much.

Perhaps so, but if you don't you won't know for sure. You can try to get it working, but if you exchange and it still continues to not work, then Verizon has it on the books that you had a defective device, and they can start working on fixing that silly problem.

Apota

Dec 21, 2007
Perhaps so, but if you don't you won't know for sure. You can try to get it working, but if you exchange and it still continues to not work, then Verizon has it on the books that you had a defective device, and they can start working on fixing that silly problem.

I was hoping someone with the same phone can test it to see if they have the same issues. I'm going to do a factory reset right now to see what happens for troubleshooting purposes. That's also what Verizon recommended that I do. Then I'm going to Verizon to exchange it. If someone else with the same phone can test it to see if it works on your phone or not I would greatly appreciate it!! Thanks so much!

Apota

Dec 21, 2007
I wonder if it's a compatibility issue with my router. Maybe I should go try it on someone elses router and not broadcast their SSID and see what happens. That will help me determine if my phones defective, or if it's a compatibility issue, etc.

I'll still do a factory reset and replace the phone if I still have problems to see what those results are too. It would also be helpful if people with the same phone tested it out to see what their results are. Thanks!

sgtcasey

Mar 2, 2007
Samsung Galaxy S21+
I wonder if it's a compatibility issue with my router. Maybe I should go try it on someone elses router and not broadcast their SSID and see what happens. That will help me determine if my phones defective, or if it's a compatibility issue, etc.

I'll still do a factory reset and replace the phone if I still have problems to see what those results are too. It would also be helpful if people with the same phone tested it out to see what their results are. Thanks!

I am using a Samsung Galaxy S5 and have zero issues connecting to my home network where the SSID is not being broadcast.

Dave

Apota

Dec 21, 2007
I am using a Samsung Galaxy S5 and have zero issues connecting to my home network where the SSID is not being broadcast.

Dave

Thanks for the information. To help me trouble shoot it did you connect 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz? What's the make & model of your router? I'm trying to figure out if my phone is defective or it'a a compatibility issue with my router. I'm trying to connect 5Ghz so maybe I'll try 2.4Ghz now. I'll also try connecting with someone else's router. Thanks!

ratgurrl

Try adding the network manually

I had this same issue. It would happen if I had the SSID broadcasting, connected my S5, then turned off the broadcast on the router. It wouldn't work if the phone had found the network through a scan. I got mine to work (with my Netgear R6250) by adding wireless network manually on the phone. Hope this helps you, too.

roachkv

Aug 2, 2008
Tennessee
Any resolution on this? I have the same issue. Since I'm rooted and happy, I really don't want to return my phone.

Sent from my SM-G900V using XDA Free mobile app

Fungusanu

Dec 14, 2015
I am aware this reply is over a year later but I am assuming that there may be others this issue is happening to.

I also had the identical problem. When SSID was set to broadcast, the One Plus and Samsung Galaxy S5 would connect without any issues as normal. When the SSID was set not to broadcast, I would have an authentication error and/or show the WiFi connection saved. All this started after the router's f/w and both phones' (Android)OS were updated. This was on both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz frequencies.

Here's the solution - this is done on the phones/mobile units having the connection issues AND having your router's SSID's set not to broadcast.
1) Hold and press the WiFi connection and select "Forget"
You will now more than likely see those available. Make sure you don't use these connections
2) You now have to chose the option to "Add Network" from the menu (One Plus) or "Add Wifi Network" at the bottom of the WiFi settings on the Galaxy S5.
3) Manually type in the SSID you want to connect to, select the type of security and enter the password for your WiFi
4) Repeat steps 2) and 3) if you have a second SSID you want to connect to
5) You should be able to now connect to your Wifi network, if not reboot your phone/mobile device and you should now be able to connect.

Hope this helps you out.

MikeF

Reactions: crumbage

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I am aware this reply is over a year later but I am assuming that there may be others this issue is happening to.

I also had the identical problem. When SSID was set to broadcast, the One Plus and Samsung Galaxy S5 would connect without any issues as normal. When the SSID was set not to broadcast, I would have an authentication error and/or show the WiFi connection saved. All this started after the router's f/w and both phones' (Android)OS were updated. This was on both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz frequencies.

Here's the solution - this is done on the phones/mobile units having the connection issues AND having your router's SSID's set not to broadcast.
    1) Hold and press the WiFi connection and select "Forget"
    You will now more than likely see those available. Make sure you don't use these connections
    2) You now have to chose the option to "Add Network" from the menu (One Plus) or "Add Wifi Network" at the bottom of the WiFi settings on the Galaxy S5.
    3) Manually type in the SSID you want to connect to, select the type of security and enter the password for your WiFi
    4) Repeat steps 2) and 3) if you have a second SSID you want to connect to
    5) You should be able to now connect to your Wifi network, if not reboot your phone/mobile device and you should now be able to connect.

Hope this helps you out.

MikeF