Slow screen rotation / device speed

Search This thread

hduty

Nov 18, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
I've had a couple of units (I had to return the first unit because of a possible 'dust under the screen'-issue). But the first unit that I had, and that I returned, was quicker overall, especially on the screen rotation. It was especially noticeable when sliding out the keyboard from the home screen and then press '1' in the popup launch menu: whereas my first unit would launch the SMS app almost instantly with no spinning wheel, my current unit brings up the spinning wheel and takes about 2-3 sec before opening the SMS app.

I did some investigating and pinned down the problem to the screen rotation: it doesn't launch the SMS until it has finished rotating the screen, and since the rotation is slower overall, it brings up the spinning wheel.

My first unit blew me away overall with its speed. My second unit is generally quick, but that's it. I've also read at least one review stating that his phone was very slow, as if the CPU was constantly working.

FWIW, my ROM version is 1.14.402.0 (unfortunately I didn't check this on my first unit), and the radio version is 0.24.30.24.

So how quick are your phones, especially on the screen rotation and opening up the SMS app from the quick launch menu?

SwisströM

Dec 1, 2008
mine is 1.14.407.1

The phone is very fast switching between V to H (if there are no application running) and it takes ~2 sec to enter sms
switching between H to V is slower...

chiefcamaro

Oct 30, 2006
Maastricht
My rom is 1.14.404.0. Works perfect, no lags in menus.

Anyone problems with the gps? Mine doesn't get a fix. Resetted three times to factory defaults and now working. Hopefully it stays working:(

hduty

Nov 18, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
My rom is 1.14.404.0. Works perfect, no lags in menus.

Anyone problems with the gps? Mine doesn't get a fix. Resetted three times to factory defaults and now working. Hopefully it stays working:(

No problem with the GPS. On the contrary it gets a fix within seconds even indoors. Might be an issue with nav-software (I use Garmin XT).

I edited my home screen by removing the missed calls (you get the missed call icon in the status bar anyway), mail (don't use it), getting started, and the weather app (quite useless given that it doesn't show the current weather on the home screen), hoping for a speed improvement in the screen rotation. Now it's subjectively a little faster, not by much but enough to make it worthwhile.