[App] Quill - handwritten notes (ICS only)

Search This thread

Volker1

Jul 31, 2009
Handwriting note-taking app for Android

I just added support for the Galaxy Note pen to Quill, so you can write without having to worry about your hand touching the screen. I have tested it with Chainfire's ICS repack and !TeamRocketRom v1.5. If you decide to give it a try and it doesn't work on your ROM please let me know!

Quill requires ICS or Honeycomb, so if you haven't upgraded your Galaxy Note from Gingerbread it will not work!

A key design goal is quick response to pen strokes and 100% vector graphics. Developed on a Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet.

Features

• Active pen (digitizer) support on ThinkPad Tablet, HTC Jetstream, HTC Flyer, and Galaxy Note.
  • Very fast response to pen strokes.
  • "Fountain pen" mode supports pen pressure data, more pressure = thicker line.
  • Pinch-to-zoom.
  • Double-finger tap to zoom.
  • Two-finger move gesture.
  • Pen strokes are vector art, zoom does not pixelate your writing.
  • "Pen only" mode (optional) disables touch input while writing.
  • Android 3.x hardware accelerated graphics.
  • Open source (GPL), so your notes are not stuck in an opaque file format.
  • PDF export (save to SD card, Evernote, Share).
  • PNG (raster image) export.
  • Can backup/restore your data.
  • Ruled/Quad background paper
  • Tagging for pages so you can group them together.
  • Switch between multiple notebooks.
  • Undo/redo.

The n-trig active pen has been tested on the ThinkPad Tablet, HTC Jetstream, and the HTC Flyer (Honeycomb). The Samsung S-pen has been tested on the Galaxy Note. The basic functionality should work on any Android tablet, but distinguishing pen from finger data and pressure sensitivity might not work on others. Please let me know your results if you try it on another tablet. See also the supported devices wiki.

You can also get the app for free (as in free speech) at http://code.google.com/p/android-quill. Also available on the Android Market.

Reviews

Last edited:

HecaThePeca

Jun 11, 2010
ICS 4.0 override

Hi! I couldn't get the ICS 4.0 stylus detection override to work on galaxy note (chainfire ICS repack). Without it all touch events write on the screen :(

Anywa, just a heads up. I'm sure it'll get fixed. Great app!! :)

Volker1

Jul 31, 2009
Hi! I couldn't get the ICS 4.0 stylus detection override to work on galaxy note (chainfire ICS repack)

Me neither - Samsung doesn't set SOURCE_STYLUS on pen events. This is a major bug imho, and hopefully it'll be fixed in the release. But Quill v9.3 adds special support for the Galaxy Note so you don't have to use the ICS stylus detection :D

krazman325

Dec 10, 2010
Thanks for the offer of your app Quill. I tried to d/l from your website, both directly to Note and d/l to PC, then transfer to Note's ext. sd card.

In both cases, when trying to install, I got an error that said Unable to Parse Package. I don't know what that means, but it won't install. My Note is rooted and running franco.kernel v9.

Thanks.
kraz

Volker1

Jul 31, 2009
In both cases, when trying to install, I got an error that said Unable to Parse Package. I don't know what that means, but it won't install.

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough, Quill requires Android v3+ (Ice Cream Sandwich on Honeycomb). I assume you are still on Gingerbread, right? I've edited the first post to avoid confusion.

Reactions: krazman325

krazman325

Dec 10, 2010
Sorry if I wasn't clear enough, Quill requires Android v3+ (Ice Cream Sandwich on Honeycomb). I assume you are still on Gingerbread, right? I've edited the first post to avoid confusion.

Sorry, my ignorance! I saw you had tested on ICS and took that to mean it works on ICS in addition to Stock GB. I look forward to trying this when Samsung releases ICS update for the Note.

Thank you!
kraz

Irony71

Feb 20, 2012
Nice App, so far best App for Handwriting I tried.

Unfortunaly Force Close when I try to open Settings ...

Samsung Note, iMilka V6.

jodeltje

Jun 21, 2008
GREAT accuracy! it's even better than S-note (which is odd)... add a few backgrounds (different pieces of paper) and it's awesome!

Thanks a LOT!

marklam_hk

Aug 2, 2005
i bought from market immediately to show support.
However, single tap zoom didn't work very well in midnote 2.0.
I m sure it will get fixed. great app tho.
anyway, anyone know how to customize the layout.
the icon seems moving arround

RJackson

Jan 31, 2010
York
Touch-rejection doesn't quite work for me. Touch events don't draw, but they do interupt the pen and stop the pen being able to draw... which I guess (hope) is unintended functionality.

ROM as of this post: ICS Stunner Beta 3.

MacFly76

May 18, 2010
Rouen
Gret app! Thanks guy!

The app is very smooth and fast. But... not enough easy to use.

Do you plan a desktop widget for this app? such as S memo?

HecaThePeca

Jun 11, 2010
2 bugs

There are a couple of weird bugs in the latest version (chainfire ICS repack):

1) The "draw box" box is all the time in the middle of the screen in portrait mode and doesn't go away
2) The boxes can't be erased (at least I couldn't erase them)

anyway, I'm glad to see it's getting updated this fast! :)

w1ll1m

Jul 15, 2010
Anone make a video of the app on ICS? i want to compare it to the spen apps

thank you

PickleHead

Dec 7, 2010
Touch-rejection doesn't quite work for me. Touch events don't draw, but they do interupt the pen and stop the pen being able to draw... which I guess (hope) is unintended functionality.

ROM as of this post: ICS Stunner Beta 3.

I'm having this same issue, running imilka's AOSP rom. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

Volker1

Jul 31, 2009
Touch events don't draw, but they do interupt the pen and stop the pen being able to draw... which I guess (hope) is unintended functionality.

Thats not right, of course. It seems that the subsequent touch isn't reported as multitouch (MotionEvent.ACTION_POINTER) but starts a new single-touch (MotionEvent.ACTION_DOWN). This is bad!

It seems that all AOSP-based ICS builds have this issue. Or can anybody report success with an AOSP-based ICS build? My guess would be that Samsung added some workaround in their ICS build for Wacom driver bugs. Fun fact: the leaked Samsung rom doesn't properly report SOURCE_STYLUS as per the ICS stylus api.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Handwriting note-taking app for Android

I just added support for the Galaxy Note pen to Quill, so you can write without having to worry about your hand touching the screen. I have tested it with Chainfire's ICS repack and !TeamRocketRom v1.5. If you decide to give it a try and it doesn't work on your ROM please let me know!

Quill requires ICS or Honeycomb, so if you haven't upgraded your Galaxy Note from Gingerbread it will not work!

A key design goal is quick response to pen strokes and 100% vector graphics. Developed on a Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet.

Features

• Active pen (digitizer) support on ThinkPad Tablet, HTC Jetstream, HTC Flyer, and Galaxy Note.
    • Very fast response to pen strokes.
    • "Fountain pen" mode supports pen pressure data, more pressure = thicker line.
    • Pinch-to-zoom.
    • Double-finger tap to zoom.
    • Two-finger move gesture.
    • Pen strokes are vector art, zoom does not pixelate your writing.
    • "Pen only" mode (optional) disables touch input while writing.
    • Android 3.x hardware accelerated graphics.
    • Open source (GPL), so your notes are not stuck in an opaque file format.
    • PDF export (save to SD card, Evernote, Share).
    • PNG (raster image) export.
    • Can backup/restore your data.
    • Ruled/Quad background paper
    • Tagging for pages so you can group them together.
    • Switch between multiple notebooks.
    • Undo/redo.

The n-trig active pen has been tested on the ThinkPad Tablet, HTC Jetstream, and the HTC Flyer (Honeycomb). The Samsung S-pen has been tested on the Galaxy Note. The basic functionality should work on any Android tablet, but distinguishing pen from finger data and pressure sensitivity might not work on others. Please let me know your results if you try it on another tablet. See also the supported devices wiki.

You can also get the app for free (as in free speech) at http://code.google.com/p/android-quill. Also available on the Android Market.

Reviews

Thanks for making me buy it :D

DUDE. This is the best ever. I used it for literally 30 seconds and said to myself,

"This guy is a gentleman and a scholar. He's so baller that he gives it away and open-sourced it. I HAVE to buy it now, because it's amazing."

EXCELLENT work. Love love love love it. This is why I bought my note.
    DUDE. This is the best ever. I used it for literally 30 seconds and said to myself,

"This guy is a gentleman and a scholar. He's so baller that he gives it away and open-sourced it. I HAVE to buy it now, because it's amazing."

EXCELLENT work. Love love love love it. This is why I bought my note.

It's funny - The majority of the paid apps I have are ones given away for free on XDA.

This is now one of them. I needed something to test pen functionality in CM9 on the Note, and this was the first app I could find that used the standard Android stylus APIs.

It worked, I saw this thread, I bought. :)
    In both cases, when trying to install, I got an error that said Unable to Parse Package. I don't know what that means, but it won't install.

Thanks mate. Its work great with my Galaxy Note.
    btw, im running Midnote ICS 2.0. :)
    Its good apps.

Thanks ya