NoRefresh enabler

Search This thread

FFaser

Mar 23, 2012
Well, my screen is already cracked, so I could see how long the corner that does work lasts running this. Anyone have a looping GIF I could try?

Would be interesting)

Ive tryed this app and it seems like the driver doesnt turn off in this fastrefreshmode, even if the page doesnt change visually, its still sizzling if you hear closer.

staylo

May 10, 2011
And what i meant was that with norefresh nook make noise even if nothing on screen change.:)

Thanks, that was a useful observation! I'd noticed when testing with a relatively CPU heavy application that power consumption didn't seem to vary between a static or moving image in A2 mode (iirc 12.5 hours of battery life with moving image, 13.5 hours with static image), but took this to mean that power consumption from the eink screen was negligable at the slow (~1fps) update rates I was using and that the CPU usage was responsible.

Sounds like that's not the case, and it's useful to know the only real test required is to listen to the screen :)

FFaser

Mar 23, 2012
Thanks, that was a useful observation! I'd noticed when testing with a relatively CPU heavy application that power consumption didn't seem to vary between a static or moving image in A2 mode (iirc 12.5 hours of battery life with moving image, 13.5 hours with static image), but took this to mean that power consumption from the eink screen was negligable at the slow (~1fps) update rates I was using and that the CPU usage was responsible.

Sounds like that's not the case, and it's useful to know the only real test required is to listen to the screen :)
Neither i really know what is the power consumption of the screen itself and what is the consumption of driver (+ potentially cpu usage for drivercontrolling) compared to screen power consumption. Nor i know if that noise necessary means screen is refreshing.
Besides its not in every application the case. To be hoonest it was only one application, that reproducible show that behavior(i dindt tested it much):)
My coolreader and opera mini doesnt have it. So its on your own to test it in your application))

fufutos

Oct 23, 2010
I'm trying to install the .apk with ES File explorer, and I get the message "your phone is set to block applications not sourced in Android Market". How can I change this setting, or if not, how can I install the .apk? Thanks :)

Renate

Recognized Contributor / Inactive Recognized Dev
How can I change this setting?

Code:
adb pull /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db settings.db

sqlite3 settings.db
sqlite> update secure set value=1 where name='install_non_market_apps';
sqlite> .q

adb push settings.db /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db

Reactions: fufutos

fufutos

Oct 23, 2010
O.k. thanks, I've done it, installed the "noGesture" version, now what? How I can turn it on & of, sorry to bother you, but I'm an absolute nook newbie.

Edit: I've watched videos carefully but I'm missing something... :confused:

Edit 2: I feel a little stupid... found the toggle! Thanks everybody :))

Last edited:

wheilitjohnny

Mar 13, 2011
O.k. thanks, I've done it, installed the "noGesture" version, now what? How I can turn it on & of, sorry to bother you, but I'm an absolute nook newbie.

Edit: I've watched videos carefully but I'm missing something... :confused:

I guess u missed out the part, to link the app to the top "Reading Now" button.

Go to NookTouchTools -> B&N Buttons -> "Reading Now" button action
Link this to the noRefresh Enabler App.

Then you can toggle the mode using that button!

Reactions: fufutos

pioneerzj

Apr 6, 2012
How to reset the "now reading" button

After using the "NoRefresh Toggle", I found the "Now Reading" and the "Library" buttons failed to connect to the original functions. How can I reset these two buttons? Is there any app being able to reset all the buttons including the physical and the virtual?

fufutos

Oct 23, 2010
You don't, you push the nook button and then select whatever you want. Otherwise you go to "nook touch tools"->"B&N buttons"->"Reading Now" button action "B&N defaults". You can do the same for all actions, buttons etc.

Draygon

Jul 11, 2011
Thanks for this great addon!

I just have one problem with it.

I'm using the NoRefresh Toggle - noGestures version.

In Opera Mini, I have to start it for every page again and again. In other apps, I just have to use it one time to make it working for this app.

It's a bit annoying to reload a webpage, or to click a link, and then have to start the norefresh toggle again and again.

Am i doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Since the Nook A2 mode seems to be overridden when switching foreground activity, I've tried another approach with a background service which toggles A2 mode when requested by user. This way, the foreground activity isn't switched and "fast refreshing" mode works (until you change activity).

This fast refresh mode (called A2) is only possible because it uses only 1-bit depth, i.e, just black on white, meaning you can't see grayscale pictures but it's good enough for black text on white background and scrolling. I have not "created it", it is built-in from the device (you can test using the stock reader, it is activated when holding a page button). What I implemented is a way to activate and deactivate it at user will from inside any app.

Thanks to dairyknight for his N2EpdController class, which made this possible.
    Thanks to bardo8430 for bringing the idea.
    Thanks to AndroSS source code for screenshots used in automatic contrast.

Changelog:
    01/Mar: Now when you launch the app and it is already running, it will activate NoRefresh mode. So you can also use an activation shortcut to the app using NookTouchTools (i.e. B&N's book icon at top left corner).
    02/Mar: Improve activation shortcut to perform toggle between modes. Tap gestures aren't needed anymore (use "-noGestures" apk version if you don't want them).
    04/Mar: Got rid of initial ghosting by redrawing the screen after activating A2.
    04/Mar (2): Minor improvement of removing ghosting at screen edges.
    12/Mar (Beta): Now you can adjust contrast in A2 mode. Images shouldn't be dark or black anymore if you raise the contrast a bit.

22/May: Completely redesigned version 2.0:
    - Several options can be customized via settings screen.
    - NoRefresh can be toggled by manual app shortcut, tap gestures or automatically according to screen animation (new).
    - New App Whitelist to avoid unwanted activation in specific apps (except for manual mode).
    - Background service can be launched at boot.
    - Small improvements and tweaks.
    - Custom app icon (finally :D)

06/Jun: Fix crash on empty whitelist

08/Jul: (Version 2.1)
    - Automatic contrast when activating NoRefresh, according to total "brightness" of the screen (simple algorithm). This should ask you for root permission.
    - Also supports manual setting in specific situations (customizable).
    - Fix possible crash at startup.

26/Jul: (Version 2.2)
    - Fix contrast setting behaviour

06/Dec:
    - Alternative version with fixed compatibility for FW 1.2.0 available at https://github.com/marspeople/NoRefreshToggle/downloads

First Video: http://youtu.be/6pBPsyno5PY
    Other Video: http://youtu.be/kBbl6egyPsQ
    Another demo: http://youtu.be/5b7JjllImjM

Repository: https://github.com/marspeople/NoRefreshToggle
    Hi,

I am trying to put a code together to control the refresh behavior of the e-ink screen. The final goal is to have a drop-in library for app developers to help making their app more e-ink friendly.

The code works already for the PRS-T1, but needs a different driver for the Nook Touch (N2EpdController included).

My one and only beta tester gets the famous "There is a problem parsing the package" error. Pls find enclosed the sources.

I would be grateful if someone could fix possible Eclipse setting or other errors.
    Hi,

I finally surpassed all my laziness and improved NoRefresh app as I been wanting to do for a long time. Check it out at the first page.
    I've just implemented a new feature I think you'll enjoy.

Now you can adjust contrast setting for the NoRefresh/1-bit/A2 mode. Images shouldn't be dark or black anymore if you raise the contrast a bit. Actually, thanks to the B&W dithering to imitate grey, they may look nice too! (see video)

This is a more "beta" version, you can download at first page post.

Now let's hope someone can make this thing also play videos. :p
    Hi!
    -your app is nice!
    -however i have sometimes problem with unexpected deactivation of norefresh. is there any chance of using nook touch tools of color tools to map for example small book icon on the top-left to start your app and toggle the no-refresh?

thx

Since I cannot avoid those automatic deactivations of NoRefresh by the system, this may be useful.

I've just implemented it, so now when you launch the app and it is already running, it will activate NoRefresh mode. So you can just use a shortcut to the app using NookTouchTools to activate.

I will add it to the first page post.