[Q] SGH-I987 - New (to me) Device - Questions

Search This thread

pitcherj

May 9, 2011
Hey All,

I'm a Sprint Nexus S 4G user/Nook Color user, been around for a while, I've flashed a number of custom ROMs to my devices so I've been around the block a few times when it comes to doing all of this.

I'll be receiving a AT&T SGH-I987 (7" Galaxy Tab) soon, so I figured I'd start doing some research on the subject of installing custom ROMs on it so that I'm well informed before I blow it up.

I'm not an AT&T customer, so I'll probably just use the Wi-Fi capabilities of the device for the time being (unless Sprint upsets me and I move to a GSM carrier).

I'm fairly certain the device will be in stock condition when I receive it, so let's make that assumption for the time being.

I presume the first thing I'll do is check whether it's running 2.2 (Froyo) or 2.3 (Gingerbread).

If it's running 2.2, I'll want to check to see if the bootloader is signed/locked, and if it's locked, I'll need to unlock the bootloader using the patch here:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=888071

If it's running 2.3, it sounds like I can pretty much just root the device with the following guide and go from there.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=812367

After that, I'm wide open to flash pretty much any ROM from what I can tell.

I've got enough Android devices around, so I was thinking about buying the media dock for this one and leaving it connected to the TV as a web browsing device, amongst other things.

Because of that, I'll probably try (though it will take some serious self control) not to throw Ice Cream Sandwich (AOKP or CM9) on it - keeping in mind that TV out isn't yet working in either of these ROMs (the biggest reason to go the ICS route would be for the bluetooth keyboard/mouse support...).

Looks like as of January 2012, Overcome 4.1.0 supports HDMI output, so at least I'd be able to get it up to 2.3.6.

Any thoughts, suggestions, or ideas the community can throw my way?

pitcherj

Last edited:

rangercaptain

Oct 27, 2010
West Coast of California
Sounds like you have it covered. If you start at teamovercome.net you can get the stock safe gingerbread, tools, and instructions. The stock safe gingerbread is rooted and has the CWR in the kernel. From that base you can go anywhere.

Last edited:

pitcherj

May 9, 2011
ranger captain,

Awesome!

Thanks for the sanity check!

:)

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using XDA

grandduke

Mar 13, 2012
Thanks..
I've been looking for this kind of guide but it lacks the ROM recommendation.
Atleast you have made us newbie a good start..

Grandduke

pitcherj

May 9, 2011
grandduke,

Glad my ramblings are of use to someone. :)

I'll update this thread with more throughts/experiences once I've done some fiddling around - device should be arriving tomorrow.

pitcherj

Reactions: grandduke

grandduke

Mar 13, 2012
pitcherj

it definitely have help,

I got a link below for the guide to install Overcome ROM, but I can't see any picture,
I've switched PC and still the same so I guess its the site that has the problem..
I hope someone at the overcome dev. fixes this so that the guide would be of more help than me guessing what might appear on-screen.

w w w t e a m o v e r c o m e .n e t / p 1 0 0 0 / ? p a g e _ i d = 1 7
(they wouldn't let me post url so its that)

btw I'm on windows 7 using its stock browser...maybe its an IE thing I'll try again tonight with diff. browser.

grandduke

grandduke

Mar 13, 2012
Thanks do much mate!

now on to modding my tab...hoping that everthing went well and not brick it he he he...

I hope someone could get the FM radio to work here.. I'd love to have it..there is a work in progress though...hope it would be a go,

basing on their teardown of the tab there is a chipset for that..now I don't know the reason for samsung not to activate it..

grandduke

Mar 13, 2012
hi..
I'm able to follow the guide given at the overcome net
I was only able to get up to #6 which boots my tab up to JQ1 GB condition..
When I try to flash the overcome kernel v4.0.0 tar file, odin reported fail and
I can't boot the tab (I think I soft bricked it) the screen only showed a figure of cellphone and a pc with an exclamation inbetween.
I connected the tab to odin and again flash to GB stock safe v5 tar.
thankfully the tab booted to stock GB again.
Anyone know whats wrong?? Help please..

grandduke,

---------- Post added at 08:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 PM ----------

I forgot to give this:
My tab's specs now reads:

Model number
GT-P1000
Firmware version:
baseband version
P1000XXJPZ
Kernel version
se.infra@sep-52 #2
Build number
Gingerbread.XXJQ1

grandduke

Mar 13, 2012
All working already,
just a bad download..

I'm now on overcome ROM and testing; will give update as to my experience with the tab..

By the way don't be afraid if any of you softbricked your tab, its a nice learning experience plus gives you alot of confidence to tackle any future problems.

pitcherj

May 9, 2011
Well, just received the tab.

It's running 2.2, so thar be dragons ahead.

I'll let you know how it goes.

By the way - thanks for that cached copy of the page! Wonderful!

Specs:
Model Number: SGH-I987
Firmware Version: 2.2
Baseband Version: I987UCJK1
Build Number: FROYO.UCJK1

Last edited:

pitcherj

May 9, 2011
Hey All,

Everything went well!

One small hangup that may be helpful to others - when the instructions on the teamovercome page say to "sync with kies at least once" - you don't have to transfer data or anything, it just means have kies open, connect the tab, and make sure the drivers install successfully.

The bootloader patch went well - my device only allows installing signed firmwares, but that's fine.

Ran with teamovercome 4.1.0 for a while, but decided since I don't have a dock with HDMI for it yet that I'd give humberos a try.

Very simple install - copied the three zips to internal storage, flashed with CWM as instructed, boom.

Very nice guys, thanks for all of your help!

pitcherj

grandduke

Mar 13, 2012
As promised here is my experience with the overcome rom

overall everything is nice and smooth
the battery seems to last longer..
the transition is good gives you a feel of ICS like feature..especially the music where Google music was in place of the stock player..
When you switch on the tab you are greeted by the overcome logo (nice)
the notification tab was give a nice overhaul and good looking widgets
overall good performace but the gyroscope mechanism seems not to work here..
(any ideas..)
the temple run i installed won't tilt to collect coins he he he..

overall I'd give it a five star...

vetinh_tv2003

Jul 23, 2012
hi..
I'm able to follow the guide given at the overcome net
I was only able to get up to #6 which boots my tab up to JQ1 GB condition..
When I try to flash the overcome kernel v4.0.0 tar file, odin reported fail and
I can't boot the tab (I think I soft bricked it) the screen only showed a figure of cellphone and a pc with an exclamation inbetween.
I connected the tab to odin and again flash to GB stock safe v5 tar.
thankfully the tab booted to stock GB again.
Anyone know whats wrong?? Help please..

grandduke,

---------- Post added at 08:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 PM ----------

I forgot to give this:

Model number
GT-P1000
Firmware version:
baseband version
P1000XXJPZ
Kernel version
se.infra@sep-52 #2
Build number
Gingerbread.XXJQ1

I had exactly same problem with the same device. I re-downloaded "Overcome_Kernel_v4.0.0.tar" many times. But the flash failed everytime.
Any suggestion. Please help. Thanks.

Model number
GT-P1000
Firmware version:
Baseband version
T849UVJJB
Kernel version
se.infra@SEP-52 #2
Build number
Gingerbread.XXJQ1

Last edited:

jeffkyle

Aug 3, 2008
I have a at&t galaxy tab... running 2.2. I want to add a non-market app. Do I have to root? There is no setting to allow that...at&t blocked... so what is the easiest way to make it accept non-market apps?

Top Liked Posts