[APP] Flash Image GUI - Flash Kernels and Recoveries from normal Android mode!

Search This thread

Dacra

Jan 15, 2013
Liverpool
Could anyone suggest any reason why this wouldnt work?

It says that its been granted super user access, and that it's been flashed successfully, but it hasn't. Flashing new recovery through fastboot works fine.

joeykrim

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 9, 2009
Could anyone suggest any reason why this wouldnt work?

It says that its been granted super user access, and that it's been flashed successfully, but it hasn't. Flashing new recovery through fastboot works fine.
The only odd one-off solutions I've seen have been to uninstall and reinstall the application.
The only other issue that comes to mind is perhaps root access isn't configured 100% properly?
Maybe the internal memory isn't properly unlocked?
Otherwise, there shouldn't be any issues.

Dacra

Jan 15, 2013
Liverpool
The only odd one-off solutions I've seen have been to uninstall and reinstall the application.
The only other issue that comes to mind is perhaps root access isn't configured 100% properly?
Maybe the internal memory isn't properly unlocked?
Otherwise, there shouldn't be any issues.

Tried uninstalling and reinstalling.

I guess that means root access isnt working properly, which i have no idea how to fix :(

joeykrim

Jan 9, 2009
Does this work with HTC one X yet?
Depend which model of the HTC One X. It does work with the HTC One X models this thread is posted under, AT&T, Rogers HTC One X, Telstra One XL.
I've tested on the international version and the One X+ devices, but HTC locked down the system differently on those preventing Flash Image GUI from operating.

Thanks for the support!

knightameer

Apr 6, 2013
Karachi
Depend which model of the HTC One X. It does work with the HTC One X models this thread is posted under, AT&T, Rogers HTC One X, Telstra One XL.
I've tested on the international version and the One X+ devices, but HTC locked down the system differently on those preventing Flash Image GUI from operating.

Thanks for the support!

I was asking about the international tegra version. By your reply, my understanding is that it doesn't work with international tera HOX. Right?

joeykrim

Jan 9, 2009
Thanks for the support!

I was asking about the international tegra version. By your reply, my understanding is that it doesn't work with international tera HOX. Right?

Yes

sobaquete

Aug 28, 2009
Madrid

Thanks for the support!

Hi, joeykrim!

Does that mean that HTC One X+ will not be supported in the future?

Thanks for your work!

joeykrim

Jan 9, 2009
Hi, joeykrim!

Does that mean that HTC One X+ will not be supported in the future?

Thanks for your work!
Unfortunately, yes. Unless there is an s-off method or another type of work around, the HTC official unlock method is not as thorough on this device.
If things do change, such as an s-off method is released, feel free to PM me and we can work on testing Flash Image GUI for the device.
Thanks for the support!

Reactions: sobaquete

FiringFox

Jul 31, 2013
Hi everybody and thanks for the great work !

I have an HOXL under CyanogenMod 10.1 and I have to swich to hboot 2.14 tu be able to update the rom, but I'm scared about using a wrong hboot img. My CID is 11111111. Which hboot img should I use please ?

Thanks ! :p

Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
OnePlus 9 Pro

I have an HOXL under CyanogenMod 10.1 and I have to swich to hboot 2.14 tu be able to update the rom, but I'm scared about using a wrong hboot img. My CID is 11111111. Which hboot img should I use please ?

I think you're getting a little bit confused between hboot and boot.img, they're entirely different things. And it's not only the hboot you need to upgrade to run cm10.1, you need to upgrade the entire firmware, so you need to run an RUU.

You have SuperCID (11111111) which is good, but you need to make sure you're s-off before you RUU otherwise you'll brick your phone. Follow the instructions on the s-off thread, it's very easy. Then you can run the 3.18 RUU.

Sent from my Evita

FiringFox

Jul 31, 2013
Indeed I'm feeling quite confused x) But thank you very much looks much more easier now !
Thanks !

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Description:
    This android application, FlashImageGUI, is basically a GUI interface for the linux binary, flash_image provided by google in AOSP for loading custom kernels and recovery images onto the phone.
    This app allows the flashing of kernels and custom recovery images in normal android mode!

Current Device Support:
    Full Kernel, Logo and Recovery flashing: Samsung Moment, Transform, Intercept and Acclaim - the s3c6410 series of devices
    Full Kernel (Anykernel and boot.img) Flashing and Recovery (zip file or image) flashing: HTC One XL, One S, EVO 4G LTE, EVO 3D CDMA and GSM, Amaze, Vivid/Holiday, EVO 4G, EVO Shift, Nexus 4, Nexus 10, Nexus 7, Samsung Google Galaxy Nexus (GSM & CDMA), Nexus S/Nexus S 4G & LG Optimus
    Full Kernel (zImage) Flashing: Samsung Epic
    Check application version for updates

Credits for HTC One XL Testing:
    Special Thanks to: dorkboy69 and DvineLord
    Old tester thread

Credits:
    birbeck for the usual random java guidance, slushpupie for his previous java guidance, dodgejcr for extreme amounts of testing, and one_love_420 and shift for some great graphics!
    testers: JT-, couga6442, happytweak and many others I might have forgot in the furry of three days I built the initial app from scratch.!
    Thanks to SDX

Background:
    flash_image (bmlwrite) is an extremely useful utility for flashing custom kernels, boot logos (so far ONLY Samsung devices) and recoveries. This binary has made it possible to easily flash all these items and is used almost everywhere behind the scenes (i.e. in custom recoveries, packaged into kernel /sbin, etc).

Custom Recovery
    Supports both CWM and TWRP!

Future Support:
    Will continue to test kernels as they are released to ensure compatibility!

Install Directions:
    Install process is the same as any other .apk. Download to computer and adb push or mount sdcard on computer and copy over or download directly to the phone. Use any file manager, adb, connectbot/terminal emulator to install.
    My preferred method, maybe a bit more technical: ./adb install c:\downloads\FlashImageGUI.apk

Download Locations
    Market (99 cents!): Flash Image GUI
    Release version (free): Flash Image GUI

Any questions, comments, concerns, or issues, please post in this thread or send me an email! Thanks for all the help and support!

FAQ:
    Q: Will this app support a marketplace to pick and chose kernels from?
    A: No. Use Kernel Manager!

Screenshots:
    FlashImageGUI-main-portrait-gn-v1.4.2-50.png

FlashImageGUI-main-portrait-optionsmenu-evo3d-v1.3.2-50.png

sshot-FlashImageGUI-main-portrait-flash-kernel-evo3d-50.png

Please post any helpful feedback. I'm always looking to improve the application!

HTC Unlock - User Guides for Flash Image GUI!!

HTC Unlock - Users Guide for ROMs with a Kernel (boot.img file):
    1) Unlock using Official HTC method
    2) Load this application, Flash Image GUI, onto the device, either through the Market or the link provided in this OP.
    3) Download ROM .zip file to the sdcard on the device.
    4) Open up Flash Image GUI, select Browse and select the ROM .zip file, downloaded to /sdcard in the previous step.
    5) Flash Image GUI will provide a warning, reminding that the ROM .zip file will *need* to be flashed in the custom recovery afterward.
    6) Flash Image GUI will index the full ROM .zip file searching for the kernel and kernel modules. Once located, the Flash Image button should be enabled.
    7) Select the Flash Image button and Flash Image GUI will load the kernel modules and kernel from inside the ROM zip file.
    8) Select reboot recovery.
    9) Inside the custom recovery, wipe cache and dalvik-cache (consult specific ROM directions) then load/flash the ROM zip file.
    10) Reboot to normal Android mode and all should work including Wifi!

HTC Unlock - Users Guide for flashing ONLY a Kernel (zip file):
    1) Make sure the selected Kernel is compatible with the currently loaded ROM. If not, this will result in a lot of frustration!!! See troubleshooting steps below.
    2) Download kernel zip file to /sdcard.
    3) Open Flash Image GUI, browse and select kernel zip file, downloaded/loaded to sdcard in previous step.
    3) Flash Image GUI will validate the kernel zip file is contains the minimum required files
    4) Select the Flash Image button and Flash Image GUI will load the kernel and the kernel modules from the source kernel zip file.
    5) Reboot

Basic Troubleshooting:
    Troubleshooting after Rebooting:

First step, when experiencing issues flashing is to RE FLASH the files again. Many times, re flashing again will clear up any issues.

If not, as a courtesy, I've provided general guidelines and suggestions below.

If the device is not booting, the majority of the time, this is not related to Flash Image GUI and therefore outside the scope of this application and thread. Generally, the root cause is due to user error in flashing a bad kernel or wrong kernel/ROM combination. Please refer to other threads/posts to learn more about the specific device limitations imposed by the HTC unlock process and generally accepted practices of recovering from a mistake.

Issue #1: If the device hangs or reboots while on the splash screen, the kernel (or packaged ramdisk in the kernel) is NOT compatible with your device!!!
    Solution for #1: 1) Boot into fastboot. 2) Load the custom recovery (Command: fastboot boot c:\downloads\recovery.img). 3) Flash a known good kernel or restore a previously known good nandroid backup
    Issue #2: If the device hangs or reboots while on the boot animation, the ROM is likely NOT compatible with the kernel!!!
    Solution for #2: 1) Boot into fastboot. 2) Load the custom recovery. 3) Flash a known good ROM/kernel combination either from a zip file or restore from a known good nandroid backup.
    Here is a video if you guys want to see it in action, I didnt know at the time but you can select the rom from the app and it will extract and install the boot.img for you so you dont have to extract anything like i did in my video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EP5dX23aZ1M
    Sweet, that was quicker then expected.

Going to do a video review on this in a few hours.

I think you're getting a little bit confused between hboot and boot.img, they're entirely different things. And it's not only the hboot you need to upgrade to run cm10.1, you need to upgrade the entire firmware, so you need to run an RUU.

You have SuperCID (11111111) which is good, but you need to make sure you're s-off before you RUU otherwise you'll brick your phone. Follow the instructions on the s-off thread, it's very easy. Then you can run the 3.18 RUU.

Sent from my Evita
    so i used this to flash a boot img to flash CM10. worked no problem but thr rom itself didnt seem complete so i rebooted to recovery to restore my backup. now when i reboot after restoring my phone hangs on the HTC logo. any help?

well u have to flash the boot.img from ur backup. no reason why backups would be any different.