As if I'd never touched it

Search This thread

smartiejoe

Nov 27, 2013
Is there a way to make it so my HTC One is back to complete factory settings. I want it back as if I'd never touched it. Unrooted, locked, S-ON, HTC Sence, stock firmware, etc.

I'm not so great at all this stuff, so some simple instructions rather than just a tonne of links would be great! Eg. flash this, do this, install this recovery, etc.

Thanks,

Joe

alray

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 22, 2012
Is there a way to make it so my HTC One is back to complete factory settings. I want it back as if I'd never touched it. Unrooted, locked, S-ON, HTC Sence, stock firmware, etc.

I'm not so great at all this stuff, so some simple instructions rather than just a tonne of links would be great! Eg. flash this, do this, install this recovery, etc.

Thanks,

Joe

Maybe you should start by describing what you did to your phone? Also post the output of fastboot getvar all except IMEI

smartiejoe

Nov 27, 2013
Maybe you should start by describing what you did to your phone? Also post the output of fastboot getvar all except IMEI

First off, it is rooted, has twrp recovery, a 4.4 GPE ROM and is S-OFF.

I'll get the fastoobt getvar all results for you.

C:\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>fastboot getvar all
< waiting for device >
(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 1.54.0000
(bootloader) version-baseband: 4A.16.3250.24
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main: 2.17.401.1
(bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-OFF
(bootloader) serialno: HT368W908963
(bootloader) meid: 00000000000000
(bootloader) product: m7_ul
(bootloader) platform: HBOOT-8064
(bootloader) modelid: PN0710000
(bootloader) cidnum: HTC__001
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 3661mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: off
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: dirty-ae095083bf
(bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 11
(bootloader) gencheckpt: 0
all: Done!
finished. total time: 0.078s

alray

May 22, 2012
First off, it is rooted, has twrp recovery, a 4.4 GPE ROM and is S-OFF.

I'll get the fastoobt getvar all results for you.

C:\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>fastboot getvar all
< waiting for device >
(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 1.54.0000
(bootloader) version-baseband: 4A.16.3250.24
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main: 2.17.401.1
(bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-OFF
(bootloader) serialno: HT368W908963
(bootloader) meid: 00000000000000
(bootloader) product: m7_ul
(bootloader) platform: HBOOT-8064
(bootloader) modelid: PN0710000
(bootloader) cidnum: HTC__001
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 3661mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: off
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: dirty-ae095083bf
(bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 11
(bootloader) gencheckpt: 0
all: Done!
finished. total time: 0.078s

you want to return it to stock like if you had never touched it.. So you want stock software, locked bootloader and S-ON ? If you are not sending your phone for a repair under warranty, I'll recommend you to keep unlocked bootloader and S-OFF or at least locked bootloader but S-OFF. Do you want to be on latest stock version? If yes then its almost impossible to s-off again on hboot 1.56.

What is your goal to restore your phone back to 100% stock?

Also need to know what operating system is on your computer.

smartiejoe

Nov 27, 2013
you want to return it to stock like if you had never touched it.. So you want stock software, locked bootloader and S-ON ? If you are not sending your phone for a repair under warranty, I'll recommend you to keep unlocked bootloader and S-OFF or at least locked bootloader but S-OFF. Do you want to be on latest stock version? If yes then its almost impossible to s-off again on hboot 1.56.

What is your goal to restore your phone back to 100% stock?

Also need to know what operating system is on your computer.

Just in case I do need to send it off for repair or replacement, I don't want a tampered device. Just don't want that risk. I'm running WIndows 7.

alray

May 22, 2012
Just in case I do need to send it off for repair or replacement, I don't want a tampered device. Just don't want that risk. I'm running WIndows 7.

You should keep s-off unless really necessary, not ''just in case''. If you need to send your phone for repair in the future, with s-off, you'll be able to remove the tampered flag and s-on again before sending it back to repair. But atm turning back S-ON is the risk you should not take imo.

Again if you go back to stock and update your phone to the latest version then it will be very difficult or even not possible to s-off again.

Im waiting your decision to guide you.

NxNW

Apr 11, 2011
S-OFF is a gift and should never be taken for granted. If you throw it away it may not be available to you again.

S-ON is an operation I would defer until I learned that I actually *need* to send in the phone to someone who cares if it is S-ON or not.

S-ON is always the last step in any "going back to stock " process, the very last thing before the phone leaves your possession. And even then the step is usually optional. Warranty repair people often don't care, eBay doesn't care, it's just really rare that there is *any* actual benefit.

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app

smartiejoe

Nov 27, 2013
You should keep s-off unless really necessary, not ''just in case''. If you need to send your phone for repair in the future, with s-off, you'll be able to remove the tampered flag and s-on again before sending it back to repair. But atm turning back S-ON is the risk you should not take imo.

Again if you go back to stock and update your phone to the latest version then it will be very difficult or even not possible to s-off again.

Im waiting your decision to guide you.

Okay, I think I'll stick with S-OFF, I just want a really stable build, as close to stock as possible. Decent battery life, decent speed, and not too much hassle to return to complete stock if necessary.

I'll take your advice on what you think is best!

alray

May 22, 2012
Okay, I think I'll stick with S-OFF, I just want a really stable build, as close to stock as possible.
You can use the stock RUU for your phone version, so you'll be 100% stock rom but with s-off and unlocked bootloader

not too much hassle to return to complete stock if necessary.
Easy to do with S-OFF

So you can use the latest RUU for your phone which you can find here
this will make your phone 100% stock (except s-off and unlocked bootloader). This will wipe everything on your phone so be sure to backup your media and personal data before on your computer.

1. download the exe file (about 1.5Gb)
  2. plug your phone to your computer ( I assume your htc drivers are already installed correctly, if yes, your device is listed as ''My HTC'' in windows device manager)
  3. launch the ruu.exe and follow instructions.

smartiejoe

Nov 27, 2013
You can use the stock RUU for your phone version, so you'll be 100% stock rom but with s-off and unlocked bootloader

Easy to do with S-OFF

So you can use the latest RUU for your phone which you can find here
this will make your phone 100% stock (except s-off and unlocked bootloader). This will wipe everything on your phone so be sure to backup your media and personal data before on your computer.

1. download the exe file (about 1.5Gb)
  2. plug your phone to your computer ( I assume your htc drivers are already installed correctly, if yes, your device is listed as ''My HTC'' in windows device manager)
  3. launch the ruu.exe and follow instructions.

Hi there,

I downloaded the RUU and ran it and followed all instructions but it encounters an error every time. It doesn't give any information on what the error is, it just stays on the silver HTC logo and the software says it has failed. It doesn't get stuck in a bootloop though.

Thanks,

Joe

alray

May 22, 2012
Hi there,

I downloaded the RUU and ran it and followed all instructions but it encounters an error every time. It doesn't give any information on what the error is, it just stays on the silver HTC logo and the software says it has failed. It doesn't get stuck in a bootloop though.

Thanks,

Joe

MD5 check the ruu file and make sure it match, if not download it again.

MD5: 9ad4111ce86981e3dffcce6d9ee80551

smartiejoe

Nov 27, 2013
MD5 check the ruu file and make sure it match, if not download it again.

MD5: 9ad4111ce86981e3dffcce6d9ee80551

Hi,

I redownloaded it and ran it and it has been stuck on "0/5 sending" for the last 20 minutes or so, the interface says the whole process should take 10 minutes, is this normal?

alray

May 22, 2012
Hi,

I redownloaded it and ran it and it has been stuck on "0/5 sending" for the last 20 minutes or so, the interface says the whole process should take 10 minutes, is this normal?

have you checked md5?

Maybe you could try another usb cable or another usb port

smartiejoe

Nov 27, 2013
Try another usb cable. You could also try the 1.28.401.7 ruu

I just read somewhere that hboot 1.44 might be needed, and I have 1.54. So I shall flash 1.44 and see if it works then!

EDIT: When trying to flash hboot 1.44 it won't even send the 501kb zip file, even through a brand new usb cable. Updating drivers now to see if that works

Last edited: