[Q] Is 97% battery considered a full charge.

Search This thread

npt1988

Jan 29, 2011
Bangalore
The instructions to flash roms states that we have to fully charge our phone before flashing. Does that mean we have to bump charge to 100% or is a battery charged to 97% considered fully charged.:confused:

quarlow

Feb 6, 2008
Tooele, UT
The full charge is a recommendation, not a requirement. Its likely your battery may not be calibrated correctly if you do not fully charge the battery first. There is a lot of complaining about a ROM killing batteries, after a flash. If you do not flash with a full battery, you should cycle the battery 3 or 4 times and/or calibrate the battery before making any observations or comments about the battery life of your ROM.

Personally when I flash a ROM I start with a odin flash to stock. Then I turn off the phone and charge to full with the phone off. Then boot into recovery, flash CWM (twice) and flash my ROM.

97% is probably fine, but keep in mind your mileage may vary.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using XDA App

Last edited:
Reactions: npt1988

TRusselo

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Edmonton
not comletely true...

if the phone is already calibrated (or doesnt need it) the battery is fine

the phone ALWAYS charges to 100% then stops charging
lets the phone run on battery power down to 95%
starts charging back to 100%

so depending how quickly you unplug it after it reaches 100% it will start to run down.....

quarlow

Feb 6, 2008
Tooele, UT
not comletely true...

if the phone is already calibrated (or doesnt need it) the battery is fine

So ... if your battery is calibrated, and you flash a new ROM, thus obliterating the file your phone uses to retain said calibration data, you phone will still remember the calibration info?

I wish I had your phone, mine behaves quite differently.

Last edited:

Jemack

Dec 10, 2010
Baton Rouge
I have flashed probably 60 times and have calibrated my battery about 5 - 6 times. I've had no issues with it at all.

TRusselo

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Edmonton
So ... if your battery is calibrated, and you flash a new ROM, thus obliterating the file your phone uses to retain said calibration data, you phone will still remember the calibration info?

I wish I had your phone, mine behaves quite differently.

where did i say that? read again....
dont be a F#uckin smart ass

here let me explain in easier to explain terms...
"if you just calibrated it or it doesnt need it because it is already calibrated......"

Last edited:

quarlow

Feb 6, 2008
Tooele, UT
where did i say that? read again....
dont be a F#uckin smart ass

here let me explain in easier to explain terms...
"if you just calibrated it or it doesnt need it because it is already calibrated......"

Thanks .... that added and changed nothing about your response.

Let me slow it down a notch. I said if you flash with low battery you *may* (I used "recommendation" due to using the word "may") have a calibration issue with your new ROM, until your battery is recalibrated. (Based on many hurried flashes) I followed that up with a disclaimer that not every phone behaves the same.

You said that is untrue because your battery constantly dances between 95 and 100% when left plugged in. Just like your newest response this serves absolutely no purpose in explaining where you disagree and why.

Once more for the hearing impaired: your battery stats is a file on your phone. Still with me? Okay. When you flash a new ROM, all the files on your phone are deleted. Still there? Good, I'm glad you're keeping up. So if you delete all files, how does your phone still have that file?

So I guess there are people that have phones that magically retain the battery stats file after deleting it. I was simply saying I want one like that, because mine doesn't do that.

Use your words, without resorting to name calling or cursing, if you don't want a sarcastic response.

Last edited:

capocaccia

Mar 16, 2011
Oxford
Except you're wrong. When you flash a rom it does not overwrite all files found on your phone. By running a master clear, you can clear out all system files and flash back to stock which will generate new files.

However, it is not necessary to run a master clear for all roms to be flashed. For example, I went from cognition to Paragon without running a master clear and its been a fantastic experience thus far. So, if you didnt run a master clear, your phone still retains its battery file and may take a while to learn its averages. Running a clear battery stats can help your phone learn faster.

To explain this further, take a look at a statistically normal distribution (bell shaped curve). Over time, your phone learns what 100% to 0% is an all in between. Well, over a long enough timeline, your battery starts to get closer to the average which means it will start to say that 98% is a full charge and continue to decline. Its just what happens with batteries. If you clear out this timeline, you start to generate new means. This will not restore the life of your battery but it will give your phone the ability to be more accurate about its current state.

quarlow

Feb 6, 2008
Tooele, UT
Thank you for responding, including where you disagree.

I misunderstand what the screen and odin say when you flash. They both say they are clearing and wiping the data and cache. I almost never do a "Master Clear" from odin.

So when the ROM process says its wiping DATA, CACHE, SYSTEM etc. the respective folders on your phone aren't deleted? That is where I was getting the basis for my commemts. Along with observations when flashing ROMs. Like starting with 60%, using odin to go to stock, leaving md with half of what it said before, flashing a new ROM, and having that ROM say 80%. Then rebooting the phone to have 50%. Then plugging in and rebooting to see 80% again.

If I'm wrong I apologize. All the info I know from flashing ROMs is reading my screens, and interpreting my observations. Maybe my phone IS jacked up, it does this everytime I don't charge to full with the power off before I flash a new ROM.

Last edited:

capocaccia

Mar 16, 2011
Oxford
I didn't charge to full before I flashed either. I'm not an expert by any means but what I posted is my understanding of what happens.

As for what your phone says, who knows what I really is doing. I mean the general process is understood but the specific files and folders that are cleared would be hard to identify.

Sent from my Samsung-SGH-I897 w/ ParagonRC6

alexvega

Oct 18, 2010
i can only get my nexus s 4g to charge up to 97% if i have wireless tether enabled... otherwise it considers itself full at 95%

not sure whats up with that

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The full charge is a recommendation, not a requirement. Its likely your battery may not be calibrated correctly if you do not fully charge the battery first. There is a lot of complaining about a ROM killing batteries, after a flash. If you do not flash with a full battery, you should cycle the battery 3 or 4 times and/or calibrate the battery before making any observations or comments about the battery life of your ROM.

Personally when I flash a ROM I start with a odin flash to stock. Then I turn off the phone and charge to full with the phone off. Then boot into recovery, flash CWM (twice) and flash my ROM.

97% is probably fine, but keep in mind your mileage may vary.