[HELP] KFHD 8.9 Red Screen

Search This thread

apparatix

Aug 18, 2013
Hi all,

First off, this is my first post :victory: and I need some help.

Last night I used this thread to successfully get root access on my Kindle Fire HD 8.9".

Then, wanting to install CyanogenMod 10.1 on the Kindle, I tried to install the second bootloader and TWRP Recovery. At this point, the Kindle began to reboot. When it turned on, the Kindle Fire logo appeared, shined a few times, then blank red covered the screen.

I can turn on/turn off the Kindle, but all I see is this red screen. Anything I can do?

I've looked at factory cables, hopefully there are some things I can try before I buy that...?

soupmagnet

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 7, 2012
Austin, TX
Google Pixel 6
A factory cable won't work on the 8.9

Disconnect the USB cable
Turn the device completely off (hold power button for 10 seconds)
Enter: fastboot -i 0x1949 getvar product
Reconnect the USB cable

As the device powers up, if your fastboot drivers are working properly, the device should boot into fastboot mode. Use it to restore your saved partition images.

Reactions: apparatix

apparatix

Aug 18, 2013
Thanks for reply

Hi soupmagnet,

Where do I enter the command "fastboot -i 0x1949 getvar product"?

In command prompt on the computer?

EDIT: Self-explanatory :p It worked perfectly - thanks!

Last edited:

JonnyLawless

Nov 6, 2013
Michigan City
HAVING SAME PROBLEM KFHD 8.9 2nd Gen RED BOOT.

I have the same problem. Can boot into fast mode with KFFA, but restoring stock settings seem to be Impossible. I have tried to restore with ADB, ADB (Fastboot), KFFA, and KF SRT. No matter what red boot screen will not go away and device can only fastboot. Any help?

LinearEquation

Aug 26, 2013
Midwest
I have the same problem. Can boot into fast mode with KFFA, but restoring stock settings seem to be Impossible. I have tried to restore with ADB, ADB (Fastboot), KFFA, and KF SRT. No matter what red boot screen will not go away and device can only fastboot. Any help?

Red screen is also considered a hard brick. Sometimes restore does not work.

skuie

Jun 16, 2014
Same happened here

Today I rooted my kindle fire 2nd gen10.4.8 using vroot I also installed a boot loader that as soon as I tried downloading shut my kindle fire down and when I tried unsuccessfully to turn it back on the red kindle fire symbol came for a second and then the careen was red

darkforce81

Mar 19, 2014
same here but worse

My kindle is rooted and when i flahsed a recovery it asked if i wanted to boot into recovery after i said yes then when it booted the kindle fire logo appeared for about 1 second then a red screen slid in from the side now it wont boot into recovery fastboot or normal mode and i have reinstalled kindle drivers several times as well as fastboot.exe and also adb.exe and nothing works the computer sees it for 3 seconds if i hold power volume down but then it goes to red screen

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
You need to run this on the computer: fastboot -i 0x1949 getvar product
Once it says waiting for device, plug the kindle in while it is off, if the bootloader isn't too damaged it should kick into fastboot. Hopefully you also installed the fastboot drivers previously or your best bet might be a Linux live distro like Ubuntu.

Sent from my Amazon Tate using Tapatalk

darkforce81

Mar 19, 2014
You need to run this on the computer: fastboot -i 0x1949 getvar product
Once it says waiting for device, plug the kindle in while it is off, if the bootloader isn't too damaged it should kick into fastboot. Hopefully you also installed the fastboot drivers previously or your best bet might be a Linux live distro like Ubuntu.

fastboot doesn't recognize if there is a way to fix this or a way to keep the kindle connected for more then 3 seconds i would appreciate it

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
What does the kindle show up as for those 3 seconds? Because usually it shows up as a jem device (without the driver installed) or a adb device (with fastboot drivers installed) and in those 3 seconds that command gets it to go into fastboot mode so you can fix it. All that needs doing is the bootimg needs to be flashed or erased and fastboot should be more cooperative.

ibrahimsow1

Nov 30, 2013
I ran the fastboot command like you said, and got my kindle to go into fastboot but i have no idea what to do next.
should i run certain files?if so please tell me where and how?

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
Use kindle fire first aid or system restore tool for the rest once it is in fastboot mode or flash a backup of your boot image with "fastboot -i 0x949 flash boot boot.img", that should fix a red screen/bad loop scenario where fastboot is not working well, etc.

darkforce81

Mar 19, 2014
thats the problem

What does the kindle show up as for those 3 seconds? Because usually it shows up as a jem device (without the driver installed) or a adb device (with fastboot drivers installed) and in those 3 seconds that command gets it to go into fastboot mode so you can fix it. All that needs doing is the bootimg needs to be flashed or erased and fastboot should be more cooperative.

i cant tell what it shows up as because by the time it shows up in the device manager the kindle disconnects
how do i flash a boot.img if the kindle is only connected for 3 seconds and fastboot isn't working

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    A factory cable won't work on the 8.9

Disconnect the USB cable
    Turn the device completely off (hold power button for 10 seconds)
    Enter: fastboot -i 0x1949 getvar product
    Reconnect the USB cable

As the device powers up, if your fastboot drivers are working properly, the device should boot into fastboot mode. Use it to restore your saved partition images.