Droid Ultra to Maxx conversion (sort of)

Search This thread

Jay_P11

Jan 1, 2013
As stupid as this may sound, it looks completely possible to take the back of a Droid Maxx and put it on the chassis of the Ultra. When watching a teardown video, they're literally the exact same phone, given the wireless charging, larger battery, and non-glossy beautiful carbon back. Can't the backs just be swapped? And if anyone wanted to go to the extra step, the battery as well?

MattK1

Jul 12, 2014
Did you have any success with the conversion?

Just curious as to your success. I'm considering it myself and would like to know if this worked.

Actually you need the Maxx battery that costs like 35 bucks on ebay, a sort kind of plastic frame over the camera and stuff, then, the antenna that is located on the low side of the phone and last, the back cover, obviously is more thick to fit the Maxx battery, you can still use the nfc transmitter or you can buy the nfc/wireless charging coil combo, it uses the same connector.

MattK1

Jul 12, 2014
Plastic frame and antenna

Actually you need the Maxx battery that costs like 35 bucks on ebay, a sort kind of plastic frame over the camera and stuff, then, the antenna that is located on the low side of the phone and last, the back cover, obviously is more thick to fit the Maxx battery, you can still use the nfc transmitter or you can buy the nfc/wireless charging coil combo, it uses the same connector.

Thanks.

When you say the "plastic frame over the camera and stuff," do you mean the Replacement Part for Motorola Droid Ultra XT1080 Camera Lens and Bezel SKU: ESMOT131219106126? I'd post a link, but XDA won't allow that for some reason.

And the antenna? Why would that need replacing?

Thanks.

When you say the "plastic frame over the camera and stuff," do you mean the Replacement Part for Motorola Droid Ultra XT1080 Camera Lens and Bezel SKU: ESMOT131219106126? I'd post a link, but XDA won't allow that for some reason.

And the antenna? Why would that need replacing?

The camera lens and bezel is more smaller on the Maxx, I think because to be fitted on the battery, and the antenna, that is on the bottom on the phone, is much thicker, I think to fit the thickness of the back cover...

jfriend33

Oct 7, 2010
Illinois
I am shocked to see a huge influx of new or like new 16gb maxxs on swappa.com for under 300. Just saying.

Sent from my unlocked consumer edition Motorola Droid Maxx xt1080m.

summer.cat

Mar 15, 2012
Voronezh
i sucessfully converted my Droid Ultra to MAXX DE )) except storage size of course.
you may look at the my post here Caution! Russian language!
but just look at the pictures and ebay links - it's so simple to understanding))) alsow you can use google translation service.
Good luck!

xxBrun0xx

Jan 1, 2012
CT
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2
I am shocked to see a huge influx of new or like new 16gb maxxs on swappa.com for under 300. Just saying.

Sent from my unlocked consumer edition Motorola Droid Maxx xt1080m.
I just bought one locally for $200 in like new condition last week. If this phone cost double that, I still would have been happy. Stupid Verizon customers who don't understand how phone subsidies and gsm unlocks work are why these are so cheap. Its a good time to be an enthusiast.

Last edited: