[APP] Android based RC car project - IOIO

Search This thread

Legomaniac

Nov 27, 2010
Hello Everyone,

I am a Computer Science student at Montana State University, and have taken it upon myself this semester to develop a IOIO based R/C Car controllable by an Android to Android communication platform.

I have recently had a good deal of success with my prototype, and I have decided that it is mature enough that I can share it with this community. Please take a look at my Github repositories and my blog outlining the project details:

http://jimmyblaze.net/
https://github.com/Legomaniac

This is my first major Android project, and I have been learning as I go with this since there is no Android development class available at my University. I realize that some of my code may not be fully up to par with the Android standard, and I am looking forward to gaining input from more experienced developers. It has always been a goal of mine to either start my own open source project or a fork of another, and I believe this is the perfect opportunity to do so.

I think there is great potential in a collection of "shields" for the IOIO similar to the expansion shields that are popular with the Android platform. I have based my project on the concept of a "shield and app combo" that, when refined, could provide a "plug and play" experience in using the IOIO with hobby R/C equipment.

Any input you may have is greatly appreciated!

OmarBizreh

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 26, 2011
Damascus
plus.google.com

Sorry for the bump, but perhaps the Youtube video might entice some responses?

*Sigh* It appears the youtube bbcode tags don't work, here is a link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=XPL0EDER498

In your video you said you still have to get Video streaming to work, well I've seen a video on youtube that shows a robot being controlled by an android phone, I'm sorry I wasn't able to find the video now, but if I find it I will send it to you.
Also I've looked a lot for an open source libraries to allow me video stream but failed to find. If you found any can you tell me please :)
By the way I'm on my graduation year studying Computer engineering :)

Legomaniac

Nov 27, 2010
Hey, thanks for the response!

Yes, I do still intend to get video working, The closest thing I have found to an Android video stream "library" is the following open source app hosted on Google code:

http://code.google.com/p/spydroid-ipcamera/

The thing that is sad about this project is that the developer disable the client portion of the program, citing issues with MediaPlayer and VideoView not being configurable enough. I was hoping to use VideoView to display the stream from the Droid on the car, but if someone who can build an IP camera app can't do it, than it doesn't look very hopeful for me.

OmarBizreh

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 26, 2011
Damascus
plus.google.com
Hey, thanks for the response!

Yes, I do still intend to get video working, The closest thing I have found to an Android video stream "library" is the following open source app hosted on Google code:

http://code.google.com/p/spydroid-ipcamera/

The thing that is sad about this project is that the developer disable the client portion of the program, citing issues with MediaPlayer and VideoView not being configurable enough. I was hoping to use VideoView to display the stream from the Droid on the car, but if someone who can build an IP camera app can't do it, than it doesn't look very hopeful for me.

check your inbox :)

cuyo11

May 26, 2010
Portland
Did you developed the virtual joysticks or used an existing library?

Regarding the video stream i think is kinda difficult. Are you planning to use an ip camera?.

Its nice that you are doing everything opensource. Cool project :)

Last edited:

dough29

Feb 20, 2009
Nantes (44)
Wow really good project here !

I also own a R/C car ^^

Do you have really instant response from remote to the car ? No lag ?

Do you think it is possible for an Android phone to communicate directly with the R/C car's receiver ?

Thanks a lot for sharing, gonna keep an eye on it :D

speedyranger

Nov 4, 2011
Liverpool
That's so cool!
And maybe useful...I hope:cool:
y8ugy2ep.jpg

y7ezuqu4.jpg

:D
Inviato con Lg P920 powered by XBSALL

TheCraig

Sep 3, 2011
Helloooooooooooooo
I've been planning to do this for several months, I have a lot of experience for a college student for radio frequency's, I finally have somewhere to start using these sources, I intend on using an F1 car, modified off course :D

TKG26

Aug 29, 2008
Very cool. I race R/C cars weekly at my local tracks. This is pretty cool stuff. Resently one of buddies started work on a Android App for recording and reviewing our lap times after a race.

Here is one of my weekly racers:
IMG_3553.jpg

grained

Sep 4, 2009
very nice, I was thinking of doing something like this using a microcontroller and a serial to bluetooth converter, but I think this is even better.
finally some use for the xperia mini xD.

well you could run your app on the background and use any existing video streaming app for the video part.

Legomaniac

Nov 27, 2010
Holy crap! Here I was busy with schoolwork, not checking any of these posts and my video jumps from ~150 to over 7,000 views! Thanks for the awesome front page spot conantroutman!!

I have made quite a bit of progress on this project since I have posted this thread. I have switched the app to a service that runs in the background, and utilized the tools at developer.skype.com to integrate my app with Skype! I have driven it around the halls by the CS offices at my campus quite a few times, successfully piloting it several halls away without being able to see it, so, just with the Skype call.

I will make sure to post my updated video here as soon as I have time to get it together! Right now I have to go to work, but thanks for all the comments! If there are any questions that I haven't answered, sorry about that but I don't quite have time to look at them right now, tomorrow after I get off work I will take a look at what people have been asking and reply to the best of my ability.

Thanks guys! Thanks conantroutman!

Legomaniac

Nov 27, 2010
To answer the question right above, right now I only have it working over wifi, so it's "range" is the area covered by the wireless network it is connected to. I hope to be able to refine it to a point that it could work over 4G, so it would have the ability to roam where-ever there are cell towers!

The source for the joysticks that I used can be found at the mobile-anarchy Google code page here: http://code.google.com/p/mobile-anarchy-widgets/

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello Everyone,

I am a Computer Science student at Montana State University, and have taken it upon myself this semester to develop a IOIO based R/C Car controllable by an Android to Android communication platform.

I have recently had a good deal of success with my prototype, and I have decided that it is mature enough that I can share it with this community. Please take a look at my Github repositories and my blog outlining the project details:

http://jimmyblaze.net/
    https://github.com/Legomaniac

This is my first major Android project, and I have been learning as I go with this since there is no Android development class available at my University. I realize that some of my code may not be fully up to par with the Android standard, and I am looking forward to gaining input from more experienced developers. It has always been a goal of mine to either start my own open source project or a fork of another, and I believe this is the perfect opportunity to do so.

I think there is great potential in a collection of "shields" for the IOIO similar to the expansion shields that are popular with the Android platform. I have based my project on the concept of a "shield and app combo" that, when refined, could provide a "plug and play" experience in using the IOIO with hobby R/C equipment.

Any input you may have is greatly appreciated!

Sorry for the bump, but perhaps the Youtube video might entice some responses?

This is awesome! :)
    Keep an eye on the Portal... ;)

So when are you sending it to Mars :D

But very cool.. Whats the range on it?
    I had made a similar app for controlling a robot via WiFi on an Android 2.3 tablet back in summer 2012 during my summer internship. It also had the video feed from a WiFi camera mounted on the bot.
    We could not make a proper video for its demonstration but i had short clip which taken at its early development stage. So i uploaded it to youtube and here is the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iE-beke12A

I only made the app part and don't know anything about the hardware of the bot. The hardware guy told me what all control strings i had to send for different movements. :p