[Q] Anything else I can try? Can't mount /cache, can't unlock bootloader, won't boot

Search This thread
Jul 22, 2010
I had been using my tablet normally and set it aside for a while. When I went back to it, it was stuck at the boot splash screen that is black with the white Google text on it. I tried rebooting several times and it would return to this state.

I booted into fastboot mode and went to recovery mode. The following errors were displayed at the bottom of the screen:
E:failed to mount /cache (Invalid argument)
E:Can't mount /cache/recovery/log
E:Can't open /cache/recovery/log
E:Can't mount /cache/recovery/last_log
E:Can't open /cache/recovery/last_log
E:Can't mount /cache/recovery/last_install
E:Can't open /cache/recovery/last_install
E:Failed closing /dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/misc (I/O error)

I tried doing "wipe data/factory reset". It says:
-- Wiping data...
Formatting /data...
... and then goes into many more errors regarding failures mount/open /cache

Thinking maybe the cache partition was bad, I went back to fastboot mode and issued the following command from my pc:
fastboot format cache
... but the command never returns (after an hour, it had not returned, so I cancelled)
The same happens if I try
fastboot format userdata
... it never returns.

I can't unlock the bootloader to attempt to flash a new image. I can issue command
fastboot oem unlock
and get the correct screen, but selecting unlock just locks up the tablet. I left it this way for a couple hours, no change.

So to summarize: I can access fastboot, I can access recovery, but I can't seem to affect any change that will recover the system.

I've exhausted everything I know to try. Any thoughts?

It's ironic because I hack on these all the time at work, but this was my personal unit that was stock and unrooted. :confused:

Pandae

Dec 14, 2013
Yours is not a common situation, but there have been a few reported just this last week. Unless someone knows of a solution, like why the bootloader hangs at unlocking or if it can be reflashed (not possible AFAIK without unlocking), your only option seems to be warranty service. Sorry. :(

Jul 22, 2010
Yours is not a common situation, but there have been a few reported just this last week. Unless someone knows of a solution, like why the bootloader hangs at unlocking or if it can be reflashed (not possible AFAIK without unlocking), your only option seems to be warranty service. Sorry. :(

Not what I wanted to hear, but thanks. I wonder if a recent update has stressed the file system or ECCM.

Someone posted a way to test the ECCM chip via command line, but I can't find it. Do you recall?

Pandae

Dec 14, 2013
I've only heard of Android apps that test the eMMC's integrity, nothing that can be run from a PC.

DeepPurple15X

Jan 5, 2013
I had a similar problem and when I used to enter 'fastboot devices" I used to get '?????? fastboot'. and the bootloader used to freeze but recovery mode (TWRP) was fine.
I then realized that I wasn't using the USB cable that came with the Nexus 7. When I switched cables. It recognized the device using 'fastboot devices'. Then I just ran the .bat file in the factory image files. I hope this helps.

BootlegZani

Jul 18, 2012
Jerz
I have the exact same issue that just started as of Tuesday, January 7th. I feel like I've exhausted all options and continue to get the mount cache error. I secretly suspect the storage went bad on that very cold day in NYC. My old Nexus 7 was off at the time and still works but the new one might have been on in my backpack walking around.

Febo00

Jan 26, 2011
I have the exact same issue that just started as of Tuesday, January 7th. I feel like I've exhausted all options and continue to get the mount cache error. I secretly suspect the storage went bad on that very cold day in NYC. My old Nexus 7 was off at the time and still works but the new one might have been on in my backpack walking around.

I'm on the same boat as you, guys. what a coincidence, even on the same date, January 7th. I was browsing on chrome and it froze a second, rebooted and got stuck at the Google Logo. Official KitKat, not rooted.

Nothing works, wiping data via Recovery gives a tonne of "mount /x" errors and flashing through fastboot is impossible because it gets stuck trying to unlock the bootloader.

I, too, think it's a hardware issue, probably with the storage. The only difference is that I am in the very warm Venezuela, so I think the NYC cold wasn't the problem! :(

The sad thing is my uncle bought it for me in Italy a month back because prices here are ridiculous, so now it's going to be a bit of a problem to return it to Amazon.it :crying::crying:

If any of you find a solution please post it!

Sorry for any misspellings.

BootlegZani

Jul 18, 2012
Jerz
I'm on the same boat as you, guys. what a coincidence, even on the same date, January 7th. I was browsing on chrome and it froze a second, rebooted and got stuck at the Google Logo. Official KitKat, not rooted.

Nothing works, wiping data via Recovery gives a tonne of "mount /x" errors and flashing through fastboot is impossible because it gets stuck trying to unlock the bootloader.

I, too, think it's a hardware issue, probably with the storage. The only difference is that I am in the very warm Venezuela, so I think the NYC cold wasn't the problem! :(

The sad thing is my uncle bought it for me in Italy a month back because prices here are ridiculous, so now it's going to be a bit of a problem to return it to Amazon.it :crying::crying:

If any of you find a solution please post it!

Sorry for any misspellings.

I honestly don't think there is a solution. I just contacted ASUS support via their website and started a RMA warranty repair.

userdelroot

Aug 7, 2010
Florida
Can you take a picture with another phone or something of the errors?

Also, can you try to mount the partitions manually in recovery
or go into recovery with adb shell and try to mount the partitions manually.

Also, what recovery do you have?

I had been using my tablet normally and set it aside for a while. When I went back to it, it was stuck at the boot splash screen that is black with the white Google text on it. I tried rebooting several times and it would return to this state.

I booted into fastboot mode and went to recovery mode. The following errors were displayed at the bottom of the screen:
E:Can't mount /cache/recovery/log
E:Can't open /cache/recovery/log
E:Can't mount /cache/recovery/last_log
E:Can't open /cache/recovery/last_log
E:Can't mount /cache/recovery/last_install
E:Can't open /cache/recovery/last_install

I tried doing "wipe data/factory reset". It says:
-- Wiping data...
Formatting /data...
... and then goes into many more errors regarding failures mount/open /cache

Thinking maybe the cache partition was bad, I went back to fastboot mode and issued the following command from my pc:
fastboot format cache
... but the command never returns (after an hour, it had not returned, so I cancelled)
The same happens if I try
fastboot format userdata
... it never returns.

I can't unlock the bootloader to attempt to flash a new image. I can issue command
fastboot oem unlock
and get the correct screen, but selecting unlock just locks up the tablet. I left it this way for a couple hours, no change.

So to summarize: I can access fastboot, I can access recovery, but I can't seem to affect any change that will recover the system.

I've exhausted everything I know to try. Any thoughts?

It's ironic because I hack on these all the time at work, but this was my personal unit that was stock and unrooted. :confused:

latenighter49

Jan 29, 2012
mine also

Mine developed this same problem on January 5th while watching a video. I just sent it off for warranty yesterday (Thursday). Was anyone using ART. I know I was

Bobbi lim

Dec 22, 2012
Singapore
I had a similar issue as you guys therefore I decided to use the factory images to solve the issue. Be warned: using it will erase everything on your device. Photos, music etc.
If you do not mind, proceed on to download the factory images but please download the correct ones and put them into your fastboot folder which will contain these files:
api
image-razor-jss15q(unzipped file)
systrace
adb
AdbWinApi.dll
AdbWinUsbApi.dll
bootloader-flo-flo-03.14.img
fastboot
flash-all
flash-all.sh
image razor-jss15q (this is the zip file)
notice
source.properties

Once everything is all in there, open command window by left shirt and right click on your mouse and select command window and put your devices into fastboot and type into the command window: flash-all .bat

And it'll restore your device back to stock

---------- Post added at 08:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 AM ----------

Here's the link to the factory images for the Nexus 7 2013: https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images#razor

Febo00

Jan 26, 2011
I had a similar issue as you guys therefore I decided to use the factory images to solve the issue. Be warned: using it will erase everything on your device. Photos, music etc.
If you do not mind, proceed on to download the factory images but please download the correct ones and put them into your fastboot folder which will contain these files:
api
image-razor-jss15q(unzipped file)
systrace
adb
AdbWinApi.dll
AdbWinUsbApi.dll
bootloader-flo-flo-03.14.img
fastboot
flash-all
flash-all.sh
image razor-jss15q (this is the zip file)
notice
source.properties

Once everything is all in there, open command window by left shirt and right click on your mouse and select command window and put your devices into fastboot and type into the command window: flash-all .bat

And it'll restore your device back to stock

Hi, thanks for replying.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you need to unlock the bootloader before flashing an image right? I tried it and it gets stuck trying to unlock it.

Code:
>fastboot oem unlock
<bootloader> Unlocking bootloader...
<bootloader> erasing userdata...

It got stuck trying to erase the data. Whic would be similar to the errors on recovery where it couldn't access the storage.

Pandae

Dec 14, 2013
Hi, thanks for replying.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you need to unlock the bootloader before flashing an image right? I tried it and it gets stuck trying to unlock it.

Code:
>fastboot oem unlock
<bootloader> Unlocking bootloader...
<bootloader> erasing userdata...

It got stuck trying to erase the data. Whic would be similar to the errors on recovery where it couldn't access the storage.

You are correct, flashing anything requires unlocking the bootloader. You aren't the only one who's getting stuck at unlocking, which could be a corrupted bootloader or a bad eMMC. I've never heard of solutions except to call for warranty repair.

Lexso

Feb 20, 2009
Hy,

Today, i've the same issue. Nothing to do, i tried a lot of things like you.

Can't wipe cache or data, always failed to mount /cache.
My nexus was on stock rom locked, no root.

I'll go to the store, hope they can repair or change it quickly.

Lexso

D

Deleted member 3231153

Same here in middle east.
I also saw similar post several days ago.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2644981

Anyway, I have exact the same symptom as you guys; locked bootloader and couldn't pass that stage.
I sent it to dubai for a RMA. Hope they will fix it and send it back to me ASAP.

donatien

Jul 12, 2007
Exactly the same thing just happened to me right now. The tablet restarted itself and do not pass the Google Logo. I did not unlock or whatever else my tablet.

In fact a week go i got a system update and since, my tablet is freezing or restarting without reasons. But that time it is for good. Is the ASUS warranty international ? Cause I bought my tablet in France (I am french) but I am living in Czech Republic.

D

Deleted member 3231153

Exactly the same thing just happened to me right now. The tablet restarted itself and do not pass the Google Logo. I did not unlock or whatever else my tablet.

In fact a week go i got a system update and since, my tablet is freezing or restarting without reasons. But that time it is for good. Is the ASUS warranty international ? Cause I bought my tablet in France (I am french) but I am living in Czech Republic.

Yes, it is global warranty. There must be a ASUS local service partner in Czech Republic.
Contact http://vip.asus.com/VIP2/Services/QuestionForm/TechQuery
and the customer service will let you know where you should contact.

I bought my N7 at Italy, but I'm fixing it in middle east.

Bobbi lim

Dec 22, 2012
Singapore
You try unlocking its bootloader manually and don't use and program to do so

---------- Post added at 09:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 PM ----------

If you return the device back for warranty , you'll come back with a reconditioned device.
So I'm hoping that you try unlocking its bootloader manually yourself.

Boot the nexus into fastboot and type into fastboot (cmd) : fastboot oem unlock
Than it'll unlock the device than use the factory images with the links I provided earlier to flash them

rohanjoshi

Feb 17, 2014
Are you adverse to completely wiping it?

If you aren't then maybe hard reset it, fastboot oem unlock, and then flash it with Kit-Kat?