[Q] CyanogenMod Installer Update Issues

Search This thread

emike09

Aug 4, 2011
Hey all,
I apologize if there is a thread for this already. I have the Sprint GS3 that I made the terrible, terrible mistake of upgrading to the stock 4.3 to give it a try and see if I like it.

After some scary moments trying to go back to the beloved CyanogenMod and bricking the device, I found I could install Cyanogenmod using their self-installer after restoring the phone to stock in Kies.

I'm running Cyanogenmod now, but there is an update available and when I try to let it update, it reboots into recovery, gives the sad broken android graphic, and reboots. I've not been able to install anything ROM related since.

Is Knox preventing the update, and is there a workaround to get the update to install without wiping the device back to stock?

Mr. Struck

May 20, 2013
Longmont, Colorado
Hey all,
I apologize if there is a thread for this already. I have the Sprint GS3 that I made the terrible, terrible mistake of upgrading to the stock 4.3 to give it a try and see if I like it.

After some scary moments trying to go back to the beloved CyanogenMod and bricking the device, I found I could install Cyanogenmod using their self-installer after restoring the phone to stock in Kies.

I'm running Cyanogenmod now, but there is an update available and when I try to let it update, it reboots into recovery, gives the sad broken android graphic, and reboots. I've not been able to install anything ROM related since.

Is Knox preventing the update, and is there a workaround to get the update to install without wiping the device back to stock?

I will give you my two cents. First, rooting and installing custom ROM's should not be done using magical wonderful "one click" processes or apps that will do it for you. The Cyanogen Installer was a huge disservice to the rooted community in my opinion. Users need to get their hands dirty when rooting, so that they know how to work through problems forwards and backwards. That being said, I would highly recommend following this procedure to make sure your phone is rooted properly and running the correct recovery (Philz Touch, which is unbelievably awesome); my friend @goku2778 did a very nice job putting this tutorial together:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2596697

After that, just download the ROM (or ROM's, I like to run various ones at any given time) from the proper sources, and flash them yourself.

emike09

Aug 4, 2011
I'm against one-click stuff myself. I've been rooting and running custom roms since my original Evo 4g.

If bricking my device after trying to roll back to a custom rom after Knox did it's business, and then recovering back isn't getting my hands dirty, then I don't know what is. I've spent plenty of time in adb. This issue though has me boggled. Why can the installer put a custom rom on when attempts to flash a custom rom (usually run nightlies) brick the device?

Thanks for the link, I'm taking a look into it now.

Reactions: Mr. Struck

Mr. Struck

May 20, 2013
Longmont, Colorado
I'm against one-click stuff myself. I've been rooting and running custom roms since my original Evo 4g.

If bricking my device after trying to roll back to a custom rom after Knox did it's business, and then recovering back isn't getting my hands dirty, then I don't know what is. I've spent plenty of time in adb. This issue though has me boggled. Why can the installer put a custom rom on when attempts to flash a custom rom (usually run nightlies) brick the device?

Didn't mean to imply that you weren't getting your hands dirty in general, just the way I word that rant every time I give it! My understanding is that there are compatibility issues between the CM installer and Knox, so yes, that is probably the basis of your problem. The combination of Philz Touch recovery and SuperSU that @goku2778 uses in his tutorial should solve your problems, it is the combination I have been recommending to VM and Boost users on Android Forums for a while now, with great success.

Jan 22, 2014
Great Falls, SC
Didn't mean to imply that you weren't getting your hands dirty in general, just the way I word that rant every time I give it! My understanding is that there are compatibility issues between the CM installer and Knox, so yes, that is probably the basis of your problem. The combination of Philz Touch recovery and SuperSU that @goku2778 uses in his tutorial should solve your problems, it is the combination I have been recommending to VM and Boost users on Android Forums for a while now, with great success.

If memory serves there is a zip out there somewhere that flashes Knox apps away. Furthermore if it's a Boost or VM device you have to edit the updater script to make a Sprint ROM flash successfully.

Reactions: Mr. Struck

Mr. Struck

May 20, 2013
Longmont, Colorado
If memory serves there is a zip out there somewhere that flashes Knox apps away. Furthermore if it's a Boost or VM device you have to edit the updater script to make a Sprint ROM flash successfully.

The DeSamsungnizer zip is part of the tutorial by @goku2778, but keep in mind that this just takes care of the Knox apps, the actual bootloader is never ever going away unfortunately. And yes, for any users of VM or Boost who are reading this, there is extra work involved once the custom recovery has been installed and root has been successfully achieved.

ericandbailey

Jun 2, 2014
Galaxy s3 on Virgin Mobile running cm11

I recently upgraded my s2 which was running cyanogenmod 11. I rooted and flashed everything myself with no difficulty. But after I switched that phone to an s3 I have had a ton of issues. My s3 was for Virgin Mobile (sgh-I747M) and nothing supported it. I was able to root and install clockworkmod with a little bit of difficulty. It wasn't until I tried installing cyanogenmod that it got really tough. Flashing would fail and at that point I didn't have an os so I thought I downloaded stock but was wrong when I hard bricked my phone. Anyways to the point. I ended up using the cyanogenmod installer which worked perfectly fine but now I can't update or download any nightlys. I'm not sure if it is because cyanogen had to install a custom kernel or not. When I go into system updates it says "your system is up to date. There is only one button that just checks for updates. Does anyone know how to fix this and allow me to install nightlys?

- Eric

surajmajumdar

Aug 10, 2014
Coimbatore
Will CM installer work on S3-i9300(Int) version with 4.3 already installed?

Hi,
I am using the International version of SGS3- GT i9300. I dont know any of the process of rooting or installing a new version of android. But recently i have come across the cyangonmod installer app which i heard does all the work for us. I want to ask this doubt is that will the installation cause any problem if my S3 is already updated to 4.3 version? I am hearing people saying the KNOX might cause error. Should i wait for the CM 11 stable version or just give it a try ?

Thanks.

unonice

Apr 15, 2011
Dirtysouth@GA
I recently upgraded my s2 which was running cyanogenmod 11. I rooted and flashed everything myself with no difficulty. But after I switched that phone to an s3 I have had a ton of issues. My s3 was for Virgin Mobile (sgh-I747M) and nothing supported it. I was able to root and install clockworkmod with a little bit of difficulty. It wasn't until I tried installing cyanogenmod that it got really tough. Flashing would fail and at that point I didn't have an os so I thought I downloaded stock but was wrong when I hard bricked my phone. Anyways to the point. I ended up using the cyanogenmod installer which worked perfectly fine but now I can't update or download any nightlys. I'm not sure if it is because cyanogen had to install a custom kernel or not. When I go into system updates it says "your system is up to date. There is only one button that just checks for updates. Does anyone know how to fix this and allow me to install nightlys?

- Eric

did you figure out how to get nightly updates, from cyanogenmod installer ? I want to try the cyanogen installer to get cm 11 on my gs2 and gs3 (my specific devices are not on the cyanogenmod devices list, so i'm hesitant ) .. please respond .. anyone who can help ..

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.