[Q] Twrp w/fastbot

Search This thread

nty123

Feb 9, 2014
xdaforums.com
i am trying to install twrp through fast boot because i think that is the only way.

cd "android tools"
Harrys-MacBook-Pro:android tools HarryShowerman$ ./fastboot flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.0-m7vzw.img
ERROR: could not get pipe properties
error: cannot open 'openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.0-m7vzw.img'

can any help me with this? thanks!

santod040

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Nov 7, 2008
NorCal
i am trying to install twrp through fast boot because i think that is the only way.

cd "android tools"
Harrys-MacBook-Pro:android tools HarryShowerman$ ./fastboot flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.0-m7vzw.img
ERROR: could not get pipe properties
error: cannot open 'openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.0-m7vzw.img'

can any help me with this? thanks!

Maybe this will help, Info Link

In other words, update your fastboot.

nty123

Feb 9, 2014
xdaforums.com
I thought it's supposed to be 'fastboot flash recovery *.img'

tried that but still same thing. it as if when i connect my phone via usb it all the sudden "cannot open" because i tried the command without my phone plugged in and it said waiting for device. once i plugged it in it gave me "cannot open".
is there any other way to install a custom recovery without fast boot? or a computer?

santod040

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Nov 7, 2008
NorCal
You can use a crutch yes.
It's called Flashify. It's in the Play Store.
Problem with that is at some point you are gonna need fastboot.
Trying to learn how when you are in a critical position, such as your phone is completely wiped or can't boot to OS, isn't the time to try and figure it out.
So I suggest even if you use flashify, that you figure out how to get fastboot working.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

cmlusco

Nov 20, 2010
Michigan City, IN
tried that but still same thing. it as if when i connect my phone via usb it all the sudden "cannot open" because i tried the command without my phone plugged in and it said waiting for device. once i plugged it in it gave me "cannot open".
is there any other way to install a custom recovery without fast boot? or a computer?

You could use a usb-otg cable and a usb drive to flash recovery as a PN07IMG.zip in hboot also. You can also flash firmware, ruu's, or any other system img that way. As long as your s-off that is.

Crawshayi

May 7, 2012
It sounds to me like it's your usb cable. Are you using the original one that came with your phone?

Gizmoe

Do I just rename the file .zip?

What OS are you on?

The fastboot command is as follows and I usually just rename the image to recovery.img so that's what I wrote below but you can name it whatever you want.

Code:
 fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

Also you need to be in the same directory in cmd prompt. So if the file is in c:\platform-tools then in cmd prompt you should see.

c:\platform-tools>

If not type

cd c:\platform-tools

Or whatever directory you need to reach.
To make sure the file is there type dir and you will get a list of files within the directory you are in.

Other than that you may need to sort out your fastboot drivers especially if using Windows 8

Last edited:

cmlusco

Nov 20, 2010
Michigan City, IN
Do I just rename the file .zip?

For ruu's and firmware yes you just rename it, but for .img files they need to be packed into a zip and named exactly PN07IMG.zip. The usb drive needs to be formated fat32, and the file placed on it in no folders. Then with the usb attatched, boot to hboot. After a few secs hboot should find the file automaticly and prompt you to wether you want to install it or not. Here is a pre zipped twrp 2.7.0.1 you can use http://vzw1files.dyndns.org/RECOVERIES/twrp/TWRP_2.7.0.1_RUU_Mode.zip

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You can use a crutch yes.
    It's called Flashify. It's in the Play Store.
    Problem with that is at some point you are gonna need fastboot.
    Trying to learn how when you are in a critical position, such as your phone is completely wiped or can't boot to OS, isn't the time to try and figure it out.
    So I suggest even if you use flashify, that you figure out how to get fastboot working.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk