[Q] Htc One S (S4) performance and USB issues

Search This thread

lcmpX86

Dec 19, 2013
Aveiro
Hello,

I don't know if this is the correct place to write this, but if not please advise me as I'm new in this fields.

Some time ago I decided to root my Jelly bean HTC One S (S4). To do that I used the HTCDEV method and follow this post step-by-step witch I thank to all developers involved: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1583427

It worked well and the only thing I done different was installing TWRP 2.6.3 recovery instead CWM.

Lately I decide to install a custom kernel (Bulletproof 1.4), essentially because I wanted to fix refresh rate/crash of HDMI output among other good things that this kernel provide. Here started my problems. I download the zip file, file copy it to phone memory through usb and then restart the phone to bootloader, enter in recovery and flash it with TWRP. After that my phone don't boot and was stuck in bootloop.

As I previous made a backup of my system through TWRP I thought it would be enough to restore it, but then my sdcard was unreachable and I found no way to access it. At this point I had also the copy of the backup I done with recovery in my laptop. With the phone in bootloader screen (witch I'm still able to reach) I can see the phone in devices although not accessible. So the only way I found to fix my phone was format the sdcard though windows copy the backup to sdcard via and then make make a restore via TWRP. It somehow worked and I was able to back to system.

I checked the kernel and it changed to bulletproof 1.4+. Nevertheless the performance of the phone decreased at the point that he almost freezes sometimes (no restarts) and also can't acess phone storage via usb in windows. When I plug it to computer it beeps as a normal device inserted and htc one s device appears but I can't see any of the contents inside it.

After some days, I decided to install Busybox app and somehow that app makes some miracle and the phone got something better in terms of performance, but never as it was before the installation of the kernell. Even know the phone has some freezes, but Can someone help me recovering the normal phone performance?

more info:
I'm factory unlocked
HTC ONE S (S4)
HBoot 2.15
S-ON
RADIO 1.11.50.05.28
TWRP 2.6.3

Thanks a lot in advance and sorry my bad English.

null0seven

Oct 1, 2013
Iasi
You have you're stock rom?
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2082451

Download rom. Open it.
Copy "boot.img" to computer. (Because you're S-ON)
1.save you're data from phone to PC.
2.put the rom from above link in SD CARD
2.reboot bootloader
3.factory reset
4.wipe all except SD CARD.
5.flash rom from recovery
6.reboot bootloader
7.Fasboot USB will apear when you conect to PC
8."Fastboot flash boot boot.img" with command promt. (without this you're phone wont start)

Last edited:
Reactions: lcmpX86

lcmpX86

Dec 19, 2013
Aveiro
First of all thanks for your quick reply and sorry the later answer...

I have some backups of all the system done with TWRP made immediately after rooting the phone and before flash the custom kernel. One of those backups I used to help me bring phone again to life however in the end with performance and usb problems I mention before. Can I use this? If yes should I take some specific step? (I watched the files of the TWRP backup and they are all .win and .md5, is this normal? can I use it as you mention?)

If I use some of the rom you point me (or eventually my backup) in the end flash boot.img I will be replacing the custom kernel I installed right? If so and if everything goes right I will still be rooted but with stock kernel right? I watched the roms available from the link you gave me how do I choose from them, I suppose will be some of the Europe, probably Ville_Europe_3.16.401.8_OTA_UPDATE_Stock_Rooted_ODEX, however how do I know if those match with my radio/Hboot version version which are 1.11.50.05.28 /HBoot 2.15.

I know I probably did some stupid questions, but as you may noticed I'm a lot "green" here.

lcmpX86

Dec 19, 2013
Aveiro
Thanks a lot man for the help, it worked...

Had some issues with the OTA installation as in the first try phone stuck on HTC boot screen, but on second try it worked, thanks a lot!!

Have on more question, if possible, now I'm again on stock kernel which as mhl hdmi problems (phone outputs 1080p 24hz which makes it slow and some times freezes)... so would you recommend me some custom kernel? just want to fix that. The buletproof 1.4 was ok in that point but last time I flashed it phone enters in bootloop and the rest you already know.

Can you tell the correct steeps to install a custom kernel, should I flash it through recovery, clear all cache in recovery and then flash the boot.img file of the kernel via fastboot? or should I use some market app like "kernel manager" or "flash image gui"

lcmpX86

Dec 19, 2013
Aveiro
Hi, is there any ROM's like the ones you point me already with Heartbleed vulnerability fix from HTC? I mean a stock, odex, rooted rom's made after the update release from HTC? With those ones how can I apply the fix?

thanks in advance.

lcmpX86

Dec 19, 2013
Aveiro
Hi,

About my last post (the heartbleed issue), I don't know If it was the best solution but still on 4.1.1 and used the patch from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=51830870, tested it with the heartbleed detector and look like it's ok now.

After that I flashed again the bulletproof 1.4 now with Flash Image Gui, not via recovery (my previous try I used twrp, but as I'm s-on probably boot.img wasn't flashed well or flashed at all, and probably from there started my problems). After this try phone runs good and fluid most of the time. However I noticed that when use a browser (chrome/dolphin or even the stock browser) or turn on gps and mobile data after been some time without connection he becomes very slow (not all times but somehow frequent).

After that I flash the last bulletproof 2.1 (again with Flash Image Gui), thinking it might be due to the fact that version 1.4 still have some problems.
After installation and in the beginning the system was fluid, but then again even with this version sometimes lags a lot when browsing. Do you know what may cause that?

About hdmi with this kernel, if the phone isn't passing for a period o lag I mention before it runs very fluid in 720p 60hz.

thanks advance for for your time!

Top Liked Posts