[MOD]TabletUI on Stock JSS15Q Odex/DeOdexed (root)

Search This thread

Caldair

Dec 28, 2008
Old School TabletUI On The Bleeding Edge of Android Builds!

This mod is intended for Stock build JSS15Q. It requires your device to be rooted.

Check it out:
attachment.php

(Nova Launcher as default launcher - Read why below)
attachment.php

Prerequisites:
>> You must be running STOCK build JSS15Q.
>> Your device must be rooted.
>> You must be using a custom recovery.

Instructions:
1. MAKE A FULL NANDROID BACKUP!! This works for me, and I assume it will work for you. I will not be responsible for your device getting all messed up, with no way to go back, so just make a backup first, OK?:)

2. Download the correct flashable zip for the build you are running. There is a corresponding Restore zip as well that you can flash to get back to stock: Update: Added mods that contain scrosler's Advanced Power Menu mod, because you can't flash each separately.
>>>If the links above aren't working try here.<<<

* The Advanced Power Menu is all the work of @scrosler! If you use it be sure to pop over to his APM thread and click his Thanks Button! Thanks again scrosler!!:highfive:

3. Reboot into recovery and flash the file you just downloaded. (I used CWM recovery, but this should work the same in all custom recoveries. If you have any issues see Step 1!)

4. Boot up your tab and enjoy the TabletUI!!

4.1. You will notice that the home screen with the stock launcher is all messed up. Install a third party launcher from the Play store and it should fix this. I am personally using Nova.

Issues: This mod is based on my AOSP tabletUI patches in the Auto-Patcher and I will assume brings with it all the same caveats:
Multi-User: If you use multiple user profiles on your tab then this mod is not for you! Notifications from your other, inactive user profiles will be seen in your active profile.
Device Encryption: It was reported that enabling encryption in conjunction with tabletUI will lead to boot loops. Do not use this mod if your device is encrypted or you intend to encrypt it!
Persistent Notifications: Some persistent notifications, like the alarm clock when you have an alarm set, will not be seen.
P.S. The Quick Settings panel, with the tiles, is gone in TabletUI mode. There is a limited settings panel that can be flipped to by tapping the header of the notification panel popup. Please don't ask me to modify this settings panel, I have tried before without success.​

Thanks/Credits:
barrmulio - for all his original work on TabletUI.
scrosler - for his handy empty flashable zip, that I made use of.
and scrosler again! - For his Advanced Power Menu Mod that I integrated with this mod!
majdinj - for his DeOdex/Odex tool
teshxx - for his Deodexed Factory Image that the deodexed files are based on!
Asus - for this awesome device
and last but not least...
Google - for leaving in the old TabletUI framework, even though they don't use it anymore!:mad:

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-08-24-13-18-59.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-08-24-13-18-59.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 35,696
  • Screenshot_2013-08-24-13-17-27.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-08-24-13-17-27.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 33,559
Last edited:

Caldair

Dec 28, 2008
Changelog

2013/08/24
  • Initial JSS15Q Odex TabletUI release.
  • JSS15Q Odex Stock Restore.

2013/08/25
  • Deodexed JSS15Q TabletUI and Restore added.
  • Integrated scrosler's Advanced Power Menu mod with Odex & Deodexed TabletUI mods!

Last edited:

Caldair

Dec 28, 2008
This is Great! Can you make one for Deodex?
Here are the Deodexed Stock TabletUI zip and a zip that will Restore all Deodexed Stock files in case you decide TabletUI is not your cup of tea.

THESE FILES HAVE NOT BEEN TESTED - AT ALL - MAKE A FULL BACKUP BEFORE FLASHING ANYTHING!!

... ahem, Now that is out of the way. These are based on teshxx's Deodexed Factory Image - JSS15Q. Thanks @teshxx!

If someone will confirm this working I will add them to the OP and modify the title accordingly.

Thanks in advance... ...make a backup!:)

EDIT: Thanks to mssam for testing and confirming this works!:good:

Links added to OP.

Last edited:
Reactions: farukb

mssam

Feb 10, 2012
yeah, it works in tablet ui on clean 1.5 deodex, but it knocks out the advanced power menu. Still tinkering around tho...

Reactions: Caldair

Caldair

Dec 28, 2008
yeah, it works in tablet ui on clean 1.5 deodex, but it knocks out the advanced power menu. Still tinkering around tho...
Thanks for testing! :D

And yeah, it will definitely knock out the advanced power menu because this replaces framework-res.apk and android.policy.jar, the 2 files where the magic happens for advanced power menu. :(

Reactions: beloero

Caldair

Dec 28, 2008
I just updated the OP with links to zips that will enable both TabletUI and @scrosler's Advanced Power Menu!

I am runing the Odex version and everything is working awesome here. Its amazing how much you miss that reboot to recovery when it's not there!

The Deodexed version is as yet untested, so exercise some caution.

Big thanks to scrosler for being so damn cool!!:D:highfive:

Reactions: mssam

mssam

Feb 10, 2012
I just updated the OP with links to zips that will enable both TabletUI and @scrosler's Advanced Power Menu!

I am runing the Odex version and everything is working awesome here. Its amazing how much you miss that reboot to recovery when it's not there!

The Deodexed version is as yet untested, so exercise some caution.

Big thanks to scrosler for being so damn cool!!:D:highfive:

Thanks a lot! I just tested the odex TabletUI with the Advanced Power Menu and it worked like a champ! Same thing on CleanRom 1.5. The deodex TabletUI with the Advanced Power Menu works just as good. You are absolutely correct when you say its amazing how much you miss that reboot, or reboot to recovery when it's not there. It just makes things so much more convenient when you have it. Thanks again. I sure others will enjoy it. :good:

Reactions: Caldair
E

EnricoD

Will You provide it also for Stock Android 4.3 and for Nexus 7 2012 wi-fi:silly:?

Caldair

Dec 28, 2008
Will You provide it also for Stock Android 4.3 and for Nexus 7 2012 wi-fi:silly:?
The patches I used are the ones I help maintain for the Auto-Patcher for AOSP roms. The same basic patches for 4.2 are here on GitHub.

I'll attach a diff of the changes I made to JSS15Q as well. If you apply these to your rom you'll be enjoying TabletUI in no time!

Attachments

• tabletUI.patch
    12.7 KB · Views: 84

Caldair

Dec 28, 2008
Does this work with CyanogenMod?

No, but you can use the Auto-Patcher, that I linked to 2 posts above, to automatically produce similar TabletUI mods for CM10.2. It should be working for the latest official nightlies.

Edit: Thanks mmikeee! Beat me to the punch.:good:

Last edited:
Reactions: Jal253

mmikeee

Jan 31, 2012
No, but you can use the Auto-Patcher, that I linked to 2 posts above, to automatically produce similar TabletUI mods for CM10.2. It should be working for the latest official nightlies.

Edit: Thanks mmikeee! Beat me to the punch.:good:

No probs! I was gonna try to do tabletui for cleanrom by manually applying the patches but man those smali edits are confusing hahha

stevo_125

Mar 12, 2009
Hi, I need to remain unrooted for some of the apps I want to use. Can I unroot after installing this mod?
Cheers.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Old School TabletUI On The Bleeding Edge of Android Builds!

This mod is intended for Stock build JSS15Q. It requires your device to be rooted.

Check it out:
    attachment.php

(Nova Launcher as default launcher - Read why below)
    attachment.php

Prerequisites:
    >> You must be running STOCK build JSS15Q.
    >> Your device must be rooted.
    >> You must be using a custom recovery.

Instructions:
    1. MAKE A FULL NANDROID BACKUP!! This works for me, and I assume it will work for you. I will not be responsible for your device getting all messed up, with no way to go back, so just make a backup first, OK?:)

2. Download the correct flashable zip for the build you are running. There is a corresponding Restore zip as well that you can flash to get back to stock: Update: Added mods that contain scrosler's Advanced Power Menu mod, because you can't flash each separately.
    >>>If the links above aren't working try here.<<<

* The Advanced Power Menu is all the work of @scrosler! If you use it be sure to pop over to his APM thread and click his Thanks Button! Thanks again scrosler!!:highfive:

3. Reboot into recovery and flash the file you just downloaded. (I used CWM recovery, but this should work the same in all custom recoveries. If you have any issues see Step 1!)

4. Boot up your tab and enjoy the TabletUI!!

4.1. You will notice that the home screen with the stock launcher is all messed up. Install a third party launcher from the Play store and it should fix this. I am personally using Nova.

Issues: This mod is based on my AOSP tabletUI patches in the Auto-Patcher and I will assume brings with it all the same caveats:
    Multi-User: If you use multiple user profiles on your tab then this mod is not for you! Notifications from your other, inactive user profiles will be seen in your active profile.
    Device Encryption: It was reported that enabling encryption in conjunction with tabletUI will lead to boot loops. Do not use this mod if your device is encrypted or you intend to encrypt it!
    Persistent Notifications: Some persistent notifications, like the alarm clock when you have an alarm set, will not be seen.
    P.S. The Quick Settings panel, with the tiles, is gone in TabletUI mode. There is a limited settings panel that can be flipped to by tapping the header of the notification panel popup. Please don't ask me to modify this settings panel, I have tried before without success.​

Thanks/Credits:
    barrmulio - for all his original work on TabletUI.
    scrosler - for his handy empty flashable zip, that I made use of.
    and scrosler again! - For his Advanced Power Menu Mod that I integrated with this mod!
    majdinj - for his DeOdex/Odex tool
    teshxx - for his Deodexed Factory Image that the deodexed files are based on!
    Asus - for this awesome device
    and last but not least...
    Google - for leaving in the old TabletUI framework, even though they don't use it anymore!:mad:
    I don't know what is up with dev-host, but while we wait for them to get back up and running here is a link to a folder in my dropbox with all the original files:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qnf2v5ihez43akn/j5UADmemIh
    Hello.

Any chance of making an odex/stock version forJSS15R?

THANKS!

Joao Oliveira.
    Does this work with CyanogenMod?

I made one for cm. Its under themes section. Used the autopatcher that caldair maintains
    This is Great! Can you make one for Deodex?
    :laugh:Coincidentally I was just working up the motivation to get my lazy ass off the couch and over to my desk to do just that! Shouldn't be long, deodexed files are a breeze!