How to replace HTC Mozart glass / digitiser

Search This thread

hsclater

May 29, 2006
I can't find any info on this, but it looks like it could be tricky to replace. I cracked my glass by dropping it onto stone, still works OK. You can pick up digitisers pretty cheap on ebay (£20 UK) but does anyone know how to replace? I read that they can be glued to the LCD?

Thanks

yardie.spike

May 24, 2008
Devon
Google for the fixit website, if someone has done it there will be a tutorial, or you could follow the guide on here to upgrade your sd card....only because you have to take the phone fully apart. You need to check if the lcd is glued or like the iphone 4 resin. If they are a sealed unit you'd be better off getting the lcd/digitizer combo on ebay. trying to separate an lcd from the digitizer is asking for trouble imho.

hsclater

May 29, 2006
I have ordered a digitiser, really hope the digitiser is not glued to the LCD, there is a big price difference. I'll let you know how I get on.

MellerLE

Dec 6, 2010
I bought a Mozart with wrecked digitizer and also want to repair it. The digitizer is on its way, so in a week i could tell you how difficult or maybe easy it is.
If you are faster, please post your experience.

I found this thread on xda.cn, and it seems that the lcd isnt glued on the digitizer, so lets hope so :)

hxxp://xxx.xda.cn/newshow.php?snid=2167

EDIT: sorry cantpost links, so must change the x's to t's and w's

Last edited:

hsclater

May 29, 2006
I have got my digitiser now, looks brand new. Just need to find the time to replace, might upgrade the SD card at the same time.

hsclater

May 29, 2006
Done

I did this with Andy's guide to help: http://lifeinthefastlaneok.wordpres...-7-mozart-sd-card-memory-upgrade/#comment-225

I used this guide to replace my digitiser (the glass) which I smashed. The good news is that the digitiser is not stuck to the LCD at all. I just bought a grade A digitiser off ebay for £20 which was pretty much perfect - glass was perfect with a couple of small marks on the back case, but basically like new.
There were a couple of differences to this guide:
- Had to replace a speaker type thing at the top of the digitiser that was not present on the new one. Came off quite easily, just stuck in.
- Had to remove the USB port of the old case back (if you are replacing that too) but that was just a couple of screws
- You dont have to split the PCB off if doing this, you just take off the black clips to take it apart and then remove the orange ribbon cable, it is a little tricky to get the new one in but OK.

I now have a phone as good as new, I didn't replace the SD at the same time but probably will do at some point when I can stand loosing all my data.

MellerLE

Dec 6, 2010
Found time today to replace the digitizer. I also used Andy's videos for instruction. And it's really not that hard. Pretty easy for someones first mobile phone repair.

hsclater

May 29, 2006
Well done, I would add for anyone else needing to do this, be very careful not to touch the inside of the digitiser or the LCD when you have it apart! Also have a glasses cloth handy for removing any dust particles just before you put it back together.

I do have one strange thing however - before I had intermittent issues where I could not slide the screen up when locked for 10 seconds or so. No I have a slightly different issue when unlocking - it doesn't always let me press on the right hand 3 numbers on the PIN screen! So it seems the unlocking issue some people have is due to a hardware issue. My digitiser was second hand so I might ask for a replacement, but I can change my pin so that it is not an issue.

kendallj

Feb 28, 2011
My Mozart touch-screen hardly works at all plus my wife's Mozart has a cracked digitizer glass (still working fine).

So silly me I took the plunge and ordered three cheap replacement digitizers via eBay (from Hong Hong). They arrived today and all are s**t useless.

When I opened the box I smelt the rat when I spied the HTC logo on each was blanked out on the outside of the plastic zip-lock bags (with what looked like black felt pen), plus each glass has minor blemishes/scratches. Comparing each with the digitizers I removed from my and my wife's phones, they have a different design of ribbon cable conductor layout plus there are indications the plastic moulding isn't as well finished in a couple of places. Either these are factory rejects or knock-off copies. Lesson learnt :-(

Anyway, I now need to buy genuine HTC parts.

Any pointers toward reliable sources appreciated, thanks.

KJ

hsclater

May 29, 2006
I have bought some off ebay. The problem is that these are almost always from returned Mozart's which may well have been returned due to non responsive screens, which seems to be a very common problem.

I have had 2 off the same chap now, one is OK but not perfect, the other one didnt work at all.

I would just keep returning them until you get one that works.

Sometimes you will find new combined digitiser/LCD's on ebay too, these would be a better bet but cost more.

poolielad

Nov 12, 2011
Can someone who as changed a screen on this phone using Andys guide, please tell me how easy or hard it was, and how long does it take??

And would be grateful if someone could give me a link to the correct digitizer for this phone....

I am in the UK and have been qouted 50 pounds at a phone shop for the to supply and fit screen...

hsclater

May 29, 2006
Did you see my post?

There were a couple of differences to this (Andy's) guide:
- Had to replace a speaker type thing at the top of the digitiser that was not present on the new one. Came off quite easily, just stuck in.
- Had to remove the USB port of the old case back (if you are replacing that too) but that was just a couple of screws
- You dont have to split the PCB off if doing this, you just take off the black clips to take it apart and then remove the orange ribbon cable, it is a little tricky to get the new one in but OK.

The most tricky thing for me was getting all the dust off the LCD and the digitsier, as soon as you get it apart things start sticking to it like crazy. Have a clean glasses cloth around.

It takes about an hour on your first go. The main thing is to get the orange ribbon cablle in fully, it can be tricky - you need to get a good grip on it (fold it a little) and push it home quite hard, otherwise you get it all back together and find it doesn't work.

I have had 2 dodgy screens off ebay, £50 sounds OK if it is a brand new original HTC screen.

Or just search for 'htc mozart digitiser' on ebayt there are loads.

kendallj

Feb 28, 2011
I have bought some off ebay. The problem is that these are almost always from returned Mozart's which may well have been returned due to non responsive screens, which seems to be a very common problem.

I have had 2 off the same chap now, one is OK but not perfect, the other one didnt work at all.

I would just keep returning them until you get one that works.

Sometimes you will find new combined digitiser/LCD's on ebay too, these would be a better bet but cost more.

Thank you for that. A close look at the ones I bought from china I'm sure now are removed from phones with faulty digitizers, then repackaged as new. One of the three had significant dust and dirt on the inside of the digitiser screen. I've requested a refund via PalPal disputes.

I've ordered some digitizers from ecell in the UK. I'm led to believe by them that these are genuine HTC factory supplied spares.

KJ

hsclater

May 29, 2006
Last edited:
Reactions: poolielad

kendallj

Feb 28, 2011
My new digitizers arrived today from the uk. Horray they are genuine HTC spare parts properly packaged. The downside is they don't include the frame the glass sit in and is adhered to.

So I watched the official HTC Mozart disassembly video on youtube to see how to remove the existing digitizer glass from the frame - got it apart ok after heating the unit to soften the adhesives but it didn't come away entirely cleanly i.e some of the adhesive foam broke away and was left on the underside of the glass.

So... check on eBay and found sellers selling refurbished screen frames ready for a new glass to be attached.

Will update on progress once they arrive.

KJ

jacksprat

Jan 20, 2008
London
www.adrianlovell.co.uk
Did anyone find a reliable supply in the end? I just cracked my digitiser so looking to replace it...

--edit--

Also, how much have others paid? Don't want to be ripped off for some sub-standard part.

Last edited:

fx.lagwagon

Jan 26, 2012
Louvain-la-Neuve
Hello everybody,

I m trying to replace the digitiser of a HTC Mozart too.

It is really easy to do, even the part where you have to take off the digitiser from the plastic frame.

But I have an issue, it is the second digitiser I am using ( from the same ebay shop ) and the digitiser is working inverted vertically! Really strange but it is like that.

As the mobile phone is started up, when I push on a left buton, it push on a right button ! On the key board, when I press on "P" it press on "A" ( i m using an Azerty layout, I assume it should be "Q" on your layout ).

It is really anyoing of course.

It is the second screen I received from the Ebay shop and same issue, I don't think the problem come from my side, but I just want to ask to you all if somebody have an idea or the same issue once.

gauge41

Oct 4, 2009
Hello everybody,

I m trying to replace the digitiser of a HTC Mozart too.

It is really easy to do, even the part where you have to take off the digitiser from the plastic frame.

But I have an issue, it is the second digitiser I am using ( from the same ebay shop ) and the digitiser is working inverted vertically! Really strange but it is like that.

As the mobile phone is started up, when I push on a left buton, it push on a right button ! On the key board, when I press on "P" it press on "A" ( i m using an Azerty layout, I assume it should be "Q" on your layout ).

It is really anyoing of course.

It is the second screen I received from the Ebay shop and same issue, I don't think the problem come from my side, but I just want to ask to you all if somebody have an idea or the same issue once.
Mate, I had the same problem. However it seems no one was able to help me either.
I also purchased a digitizer from Ebay for my Mozart - the exact same inverted issue occurred with me. I wasn't able to find a solution.

I'm in Australia with a T8697 model. The digitizer I received from Ebay had a circle around the windows button at the bottom - This was not on my original screen.

In the end, I purchased a digitizer from an Australian business. Cost double the Ebay digitizer did, so I hope it works... Haven't received it yet, but I'll let you know when I put it in.

What model Mozart do you own?

Top Liked Posts