System Update button missing

Search This thread

firefiber

Aug 28, 2012
Hi guys,

I'm on 4.4.2, rooted, and stock. I've been checking for system updates since the beginning of the month.
However, since the last week, my "System Update" button is missing. I have no idea how, or why, it's just not there. I go into "About phone", and it starts from "Status", "Legal Information", etc. I haven't made any system changes to the phone, so I'm pretty stumped as to how this happened.

I just went into the recovery and wiped the cache (didn't think it'd do anything, but tried it anyway. It took ages, and well it didn't do anything.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

firefiber

Aug 28, 2012
In case anyone doesn't get what I'm talking about, here's a screen shot.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-05-24-13-19-02.png
    Screenshot_2014-05-24-13-19-02.png
    219.7 KB · Views: 1,144

firefiber

Aug 28, 2012
Try to delete data for settings.

Tapatalk-kal küldve az én Nexus 5-el

I did this, now my home button doesn't work, and I can't get to the quick settings panel (the three finger swipe doesn't work, nor does the button from the right side of the notification pull down. To get to it, I need to go into the app drawer, and find settings. Oh god. This made it worse. Now I'm screwed.

bitdomo

Nov 3, 2011
Göd
I did this, now my home button doesn't work, and I can't get to the quick settings panel (the three finger swipe doesn't work, nor does the button from the right side of the notification pull down. To get to it, I need to go into the app drawer, and find settings. Oh god. This made it worse. Now I'm screwed.
That should not cause problems like that. Did you tried restart your phone?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

firefiber

Aug 28, 2012
I factory wiped it (I really didn't want to), and this fixed it. I still have no clue how in the world a button could have suddenly gone missing entirely. But bleh. It's fixed now.

Reactions: Destr0y3r

PsychDrummer

Nov 29, 2012
I factory wiped it (I really didn't want to), and this fixed it. I still have no clue how in the world a button could have suddenly gone missing entirely. But bleh. It's fixed now.

I think I might know what the problem was. Unfortunately I didn't see this earlier. There was someone on the google play services thread that said the button disappeared for him when he downgraded his google play services app from the latest update to a previous update. Or he installed an older google play services version after updating to the new one. Did you happen to do that?

Reactions: firefiber

davew41

Oct 4, 2011
Mine is gone also, using the Nexus 5 Experience rom. no biggie when 4.4.3 is out I will just do a factory reset and blow the rom out as well..
All of my google play and gapps are updated. so No idea what caused it..

simms22

Recognized Contributor - R.I.P
Jun 4, 2009
BROOKLYN!
www.androidcommunity.com
Mine is gone also, using the Nexus 5 Experience rom. no biggie when 4.4.3 is out I will just do a factory reset and blow the rom out as well..

you are using a custom rom. you cant update ota when using a custom rom, so it gets removed.

Citizen_Snips

Apr 23, 2012
Google Pixel 8 Pro
Google Pixel Watch 2
you are using a custom rom. you cant update ota when using a custom rom, so it gets removed.

As stated above there was an update to Google Play Services that removed the update button (from stock). He confirmed by uninstalling updates to play services and had his system update button back. I couldn't personally tell you what version does this, but if you read the play services thread in themes in apps, it's there.

firefiber

Aug 28, 2012
Okay so now, I did a factory reset, it works. BUT, I can't sign into Google. Each time I try I get the "There was a problem communicating with Google servers" message. I tried with 2-step AND without 2-step. Doesn't work. So my phone is pretty much unusable now without a Google account. Anyone have any ideas about this?

EDIT: Also, about the Play Services, I did mess with it, but that was a couple of months ago. I tried to do something stupid, and lost the Play Services completely, so I had to manually install the APK for it. The System Update thing went missing only a few days ago.

pakjebakmeel

Apr 26, 2012
Ankeveen
Well I'm on 100% stock and locked boot loader but I was stumped to see the same issue on my nexus last week. Also cleared caches and settings but eventually had to do a factory reset which cured the issue.

PsychDrummer

Nov 29, 2012
Well I'm on 100% stock and locked boot loader but I was stumped to see the same issue on my nexus last week. Also cleared caches and settings but eventually had to do a factory reset which cured the issue.

Did you mess with the google play services app? You don't have to be rooted to install apks and you could have reverted play services to original settings.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

As stated above there was an update to Google Play Services that removed the update button (from stock). He confirmed by uninstalling updates to play services and had his system update button back. I couldn't personally tell you what version does this, but if you read the play services thread in themes in apps, it's there.

I think I might know what the problem was. Unfortunately I didn't see this earlier. There was someone on the google play services thread that said the button disappeared for him when he downgraded his google play services app from the latest update to a previous update. Or he installed an older google play services version after updating to the new one. Did you happen to do that?