[Q] Firmware Upgrade Error

Search This thread

rmurray1975

Jun 30, 2014
Sorry if this is answered on another thread; I couldn't find any answer that helped me, so I am opening this thread.

My Galaxy S3 I9300 is stuck with the error: "Firmware Upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies & try again."

But when I try to upgrade using Kies I get the error message "This device's version cannot be updated." I get as far as entering my model number and S/N.

I cannot enter recovery mode on my S3, only download mode, so I am unable to perform a hard reset.

My phone is not compatible with Kies3 so I am using Kies.

Any suggestions?

rmurray1975

Jun 30, 2014
How can I tell?

make sure your phone is not rooted,otherwise kies becomes unvailable.

How can I tell if the phone is rooted? I got the phone second hand last week, and I don't know if it had previously been rooted.

In download mode, I see the following:

ODIN MODE
PRODUCT NAME: GT-I9300
CUSTOM BINARY DOWNLOAD: No
CURRENT BINARY: Samsung Official
SYSTEM STATUS: Official

I am guessing this means it hasn't been rooted?

nikctsh

Jan 15, 2011
How can I tell if the phone is rooted? I got the phone second hand last week, and I don't know if it had previously been rooted.

In download mode, I see the following:

ODIN MODE
PRODUCT NAME: GT-I9300
CUSTOM BINARY DOWNLOAD: No
CURRENT BINARY: Samsung Official
SYSTEM STATUS: Official

I am guessing this means it hasn't been rooted?

Download root checker from google play

nikctsh

Jan 15, 2011
This may seem a stupid question but on what am I supposed to download Root Checker? I cannot access my S3 (the reason for this thread).

So why don't you provide us more details on why your phone stuck with that error message so that we can help you. You say you just got the phone second hand last week, so apparently the phone still works when you first get your hand on it. You must have done something to it, causing it to stuck with that error?

rmurray1975

Jun 30, 2014
This is how I got it

So why don't you provide us more details on why your phone stuck with that error message so that we can help you. You say you just got the phone second hand last week, so apparently the phone still works when you first get your hand on it. You must have done something to it, causing it to stuck with that error?

This is the state I got the phone in. I had taken a quick check on the internet to see how to resolve the issue, and thought it would be worth the cost of the phone (40 Euros) to try to fix it myself. Guess I was wrong!

nikctsh

Jan 15, 2011
This is the state I got the phone in. I had taken a quick check on the internet to see how to resolve the issue, and thought it would be worth the cost of the phone (40 Euros) to try to fix it myself. Guess I was wrong!

I'm not sure whether this can help, but try mate.
1) Enter download mode and install stock rom using ODIN (preferred)
If this doesn't do the trick, try another EXPERIMENTAL alternative way,
2) Enter download mode, root your device using CF root using ODIN, flash a custom recovery using ODIN, boot into your custom recovery, flash a custom rom (risky)

I never encountered this before so I have no idea whether this can actually help or not, so do this at your own risk.

Reactions: rmurray1975

rmurray1975

Jun 30, 2014
You are a star!

2) Enter download mode, root your device using CF root using ODIN, flash a custom recovery using ODIN, boot into your custom recovery, flash a custom rom (risky)

I never encountered this before so I have no idea whether this can actually help or not, so do this at your own risk.

You are my new hero!!!

I flashed the stock rom in Odin 3.09 and it worked a treat! I have a working telephone!

Thank you very much!!!:D:D:D

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Flash stock ROM via Odin ;) Download at http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/ ;)