[HOWTO] Greatly improve AT&T data speeds (if you are experiencing poor ones)

Search This thread

uskr

Feb 12, 2011
As of right now I am thinking the results a spotty. Some people had their speeds improved, some didn't. I wonder if it has anything to do with the upgrades AT&T is doing on their network right now.

I will leave mine as it is, I doesn't matter the time of the day, if I remove those fixes, the speed drops drastically. And immediately goes back up with them applied.

mchimney

Aug 15, 2010
Just tried this.
I have 2 Bars at my house, there seems to be almost no difference in data speed, it might have even made it slightly worse. I went from an average of 300kbps down to 100 and less. Upload is hanging anywhere from 15kbps - 50.

otester

Jan 25, 2010
Some of you seem to be missing the point here, this merely makes sure your device is performing at it's best, actual speed is largely determined by the mast.

Most ROMs have these settings by default, by removing them you are unoptimising.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA Premium App

mchimney

Aug 15, 2010
Some of you seem to be missing the point here, this merely makes sure your device is performing at it's best, actual speed is largely determined by the mast.

Most ROMs have these settings by default, by removing them you are unoptimising.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA Premium App

I didn't remove anything. I added those lines. I just went out into the backyard with another SGS2 in hand. Mine was getting 1mbps download 1 up on 4 bars, the ohter SGS2 was getting 4.5down 1 up. I even deleted the changes i made and i'm still getting less

otester

Jan 25, 2010
I didn't remove anything. I added those lines. I just went out into the backyard with another SGS2 in hand. Mine was getting 1mbps download 1 up on 4 bars, the ohter SGS2 was getting 4.5down 1 up. I even deleted the changes i made and i'm still getting less

1. Did you reboot your phone after adding the lines?

2. Both phones on same carrier?

uskr

Feb 12, 2011
I will add "for those having problem" on the thread label.

You guys are missing the point, this is not to increase your speed if you are already at 6mbps download 2mbps upload. This is fix, not a magic.

For some people the fix did work. For me it's pretty clear when I add the fix to when I remove it. Anytime, anywhere I tested, if I remove, I go to really low (as in 1mbps download) speeds. If I add them, I get better speed.

I am currently using a "4g sim card" (I am not sure if it has anything different from a regular card) with a 4g unlimited data plan (grand-fathered) on ATT. I am currently on VA, close to DC area.

xxmwxx

Jul 21, 2008
I will add "for those having problem" on the thread label.

You guys are missing the point, this is not to increase your speed if you are already at 6mbps download 2mbps upload. This is fix, not a magic.

For some people the fix did work. For me it's pretty clear when I add the fix to when I remove it. Anytime, anywhere I tested, if I remove, I go to really low (as in 1mbps download) speeds. If I add them, I get better speed.

I am currently using a "4g sim card" (I am not sure if it has anything different from a regular card) with a 4g unlimited data plan (grand-fathered) on ATT. I am currently on VA, close to DC area.

That might be the reason I'm seeing such poor speeds with full bars on H+ with AT&T (1-1.5 down, 1-2.5 up), I'll call them up tomorrow to get them to upgrade my data to 4G (it's probably still set for the unlimited iphone plan - did they upgrade yours without an extra charge?)

uskr

Feb 12, 2011
That might be the reason I'm seeing such poor speeds with full bars on H+ with AT&T (1-1.5 down, 1-2.5 up), I'll call them up tomorrow to get them to upgrade my data to 4G (it's probably still set for the unlimited iphone plan - did they upgrade yours without an extra charge?)

Yes, no extra charge. Same price, grand-fathered. Sim card was free too. Just went into an AT&T store and asked for a 4g sim card and to change my iPhone Unlimited plan to 4g Unlimited.

wonderwout

Mar 17, 2010
Remember people, even if a mast can output 21Mbps on a given channel, the maximum channel bandwidth will be limited to the maximum of the slowest connected device's maximum speed (3.6./7.2/14.4 etc.) due to modulation.

This lowest common denominator approach is how multiple access over WiFi works. UMTS networks operate in another way, various terminals or even session on one terminal can use various channels and modulations concurrently on the same site. The assigned channels and speeds are determined by; service required, terminal capability, network capability (and settings), available capacity and signal quality.

I think the parameters modified here are used to communicate to the network the maximum capabilities of the terminal so the network can decide on the best channel and modulation of the channel. Tweaking these parameters beyond the terminal capability will not help much I think. But if the phone reports lower capabilities 'per default', then overriding them might make sense.

Last edited:

otester

Jan 25, 2010
Yea i rebooted. Both phones are on AT&T. However, one phone is on an iphone data plan (the faster speed phone).

Could well be prioritizing, wouldn't put it past them.

This lowest common denominator approach is how multiple access over WiFi works. UMTS networks operate in another way, various terminals or even session on one terminal can use various channels and modulations concurrently on the same site. The assigned channels and speeds are determined by; service required, terminal capability, network capability (and settings), available capacity and signal quality.

I think the parameters modified here are used to communicate to the network the maximum capabilities of the terminal so the network can decide on the best channel and modulation of the channel. Tweaking these parameters beyond the terminal capability will not help much I think. But if the phone reports lower capabilities 'per default', then overriding them might make sense.

Assuming 2 phones on 1 channel, 1 phone of the phones is 7.2 the other 14.4 and the channel is capable of 14.4, would that not limit the total bandwidth of both to 7.2?

Also do you have a link regarding this because others have mentioned it and I want to read up on it so I don't come across as a dumb***? :p

xxmwxx

Jul 21, 2008
Yes, no extra charge. Same price, grand-fathered. Sim card was free too. Just went into an AT&T store and asked for a 4g sim card and to change my iPhone Unlimited plan to 4g Unlimited.

Cool. Gotta love AT&T, just called them up and they keep insisting I give them the IMEI for the device because it's new and they need to see it will even work on their network etc. I think I'll just go to a service point and get them to do it there.

wonderwout

Mar 17, 2010
Assuming 2 phones on 1 channel, 1 phone of the phones is 7.2 the other 14.4 and the channel is capable of 14.4, would that not limit the total bandwidth of both to 7.2?

Also do you have a link regarding this because others have mentioned it and I want to read up on it so I don't come across as a dumb***? :p

No, the maximum capabilities of one terminal in a cell will not directly limit the maximum bandwidth of another terminal in a 3G WCDMA cell as it does on WiFi. They will use shared resources like back-haul transmission capacity of a site and transmission power of the used carrier. So they can and do impact each other in high load situations.

Scheduling and resource management in 3G WCDMA networks is very complex and hard to understand and explain, and I was in no way implying you where dumb. I work as an engineer for a 3G operator and after many years I still don't fully understand all the mechanisms for managing resources.

If you are interested, all specifications are public through 3GPP but it is hard to filter through this information. This links to a book which explains some WCDMA principals:

http://books.google.nl/books?id=yN5...Ag#v=onepage&q=UTRAN shared resources&f=false

Last edited:

otester

Jan 25, 2010
No, the maximum capabilities of one terminal in a cell will not directly limit the maximum bandwidth of another terminal in a 3G WCDMA cell as it does on WiFi. They will use shared resources like back-haul transmission capacity of a site and transmission power of the used carrier. So they can and do impact each other in high load situations.

Scheduling and resource management in 3G WCDMA networks is very complex and hard to understand and explain, and I was in no way implying you where dumb. I work as an engineer for a 3G operator and after many years I still don't fully understand all the mechanisms for managing resources.

If you are interested, all specifications are public through 3GPP but it is hard to filter through this information. This links to a book which explains some WCDMA principals:

http://books.google.nl/books?id=yN5...Ag#v=onepage&q=UTRAN shared resources&f=false

I just felt like I had a massive gap blown in my knowledge lol.

Thanks for the link.

Just got hold of "WCDMA for UTMS - HSPA Evolution & LTE" (4th Ed. - Wiley), so I'll read that as it is more complete than the Google link.

wonderwout

Mar 17, 2010
I just felt like I had a massive gap blown in my knowledge lol.

Thanks for the link.

Just got hold of "WCDMA for UTMS - HSPA Evolution & LTE" (4th Ed. - Wiley), so I'll read that as it is more complete than the Google link.

Wiley is good, the link I send you was just a first relevant hit in Google to give an indication this stuff. I have information in my head and in many specific documents, but didn't have an obvious link providing information at this level

otester

Jan 25, 2010
Wiley is good, the link I send you was just a first relevant hit in Google to give an indication this stuff. I have information in my head and in many specific documents, but didn't have an obvious link providing information at this level

I would like to read it but the books near £70 lol. :eek:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ah, I remember writing about this back in the old HD2 forums. Here's the reference thread I found a while back that explains what each of the settings does for those interested:

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=5123531&postcount=46

Should test these again myself and see what works best on my network.
    A few people were complaining about 3g/4g speeds on AT&T network here in the USA.

I am on AT&T myself and decided to play a little bit to see if I could get any improvements.

In fact, after a lot of tests, I ended up getting between 100% and 200% increase (that's correct, double/tripple increase) adding the following parameters to /system/build.prop:

ro.ril.enable.dtm=1
    ro.ril.gprsclass=12
    ro.ril.enable.3g.prefix=1
    ro.ril.hsdpa.category=28
    ro.ril.hsupa.category=9
    ro.ril.hsxpa=3

Your mileage may vary. I would recommend you to play with ro.ril.hsdpa.category and ro.ril.hsupa.category values. Both are set to the maximun value possible as it is. In theory the "correct" values to use for ATT 4g on this phone would be hsdpa.category=20 (21mbps) and hsupa.category=6 (5mbps), but I had a significant performance gain by using the values I am using (28 / 9).

Give it a try and see if anything changes for you.

Here is two ways to add those values, if you never edited build.prop before.

"Safest" way would be to:

1. adb pull /system/build.prop
    2. make a backup copy of it
    3. edit with your preferred editor and add those lines to the end of the file
    4. adb shell (then su to root)
    5. mount the /system partition as read/write
    6. quit adb shell
    7. adb push build.prop /system/build.prop
    8. reboot your phone

Or the "easiest" way, if you have Root Explorer:

1. adb pull /system/build.prop (this will be your backup copy of the file)
    2. Open Root Explorer on your phone
    3. open /system folder and click on "mount r/w" option
    4. open the build.prop file on Root Explorer (you can edit the file right there)
    5. Add those lines at the end of the file
    6. Save and quit Root Explorer
    7. reboot your device.

Either way is fine. Using Root explorer will leave a .bak file on your /system, you can delete the .bak later on. Just make sure you have a copy of the original file somewhere, like your sdcard.

Root is required to do that, by the way.
    1306807287035.jpg

1306807385985.jpg

Of course we all know HSPA+ is not 4G, Only referred as by U.S. providers to market their silly nonsense.
    Lol, Yeah. A two year old, a two month old and my girl is sick with cancer. (doing well though) It gets a little hairy here from time to time.
    There are a few settings on the Inspire that are not in the APN options on the GS2, I just skipped them. Let me know if you see any difference.

These look to be standard AT&T APN settings..

Sounds like ya have your hands full there mate.. Best wishes with your situation there!