[Q] Yellow screen tint?

Search This thread
D

Deleted member 4173854

I returned my first galaxy nexus because it had a 3mm horizontal black bar on a black screen.

The new one (black bar replacement) has a reddish tint on the upper half just like enaybee's. the bottom half replicates true color and the color balance is spot on.

The reddish tint is extremely noticeable when the screen displays dim whites and light to medium grey. I can even notice it when the backlight is maxed out and looking at the same tones mentioned.

Ive only had this phone for a week and the problems with the amoled display seems widespread.

Does any one know if I can get a replacement for a replaced galaxy nexus? The reddish screen effect isnt a total deal breaker but, when i buy something new, i expect perfection and wouldnt want to hold onto a blemished (slight defect screen) for two years.

I've gotten four phones so far... All slightly better than the previous one. The one I have now has a slight pinkish tint in the upper left and yellowish towards the bottom/mid right. I don't know how Samsung thought these issues were okay enough to ship devices. Verizon treated me very rudely when I asked them to replace this phone (I might try calling support or something), and basically pretended they couldn't see the issue. I'm also afraid I will get a worse looking phone as a replacement... And I really cannot keep exchanging this thing forever.

neok44

May 19, 2009
Florida
don't do that!! as blue amoled is the one dies the quickest and make it brighter will kill it even faster.

and what is even faster? 100 years?

these LEDs have an insanely long life, i doubt that that boost would do much of anything.

i just tried it out, and though the +5 to blue does help in a few of the apps that i noticed the yellow, overall i don't like it since it adds blue to blacks.

honestly, the only app that i've really noticed the yellow is Hextacy, everywhere else looks amazing, even videos have their right colors. but a few apps have the yellow. found it kinda strange, and annoying, but i've just dealt with it. Still have my N1 around so i can always play hextacy on that.

Last edited:

cosine83

Apr 2, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
www.grathwohl.me
Pretty much anytime the screen has a majority of white displayed (browser, GMail, etc.) there's a very heavy yellow tint to the screen. I'm considering swapping out at my VZW store unless there's a way to change color profiles properly.

neok44

May 19, 2009
Florida
Pretty much anytime the screen has a majority of white displayed (browser, GMail, etc.) there's a very heavy yellow tint to the screen. I'm considering swapping out at my VZW store unless there's a way to change color profiles properly.

just finally noticed that mine does have the tint and it's the same here, if theres lots of white you can see the tint, but in very colorful or dark screens theres nothing.

i saw in a post on page 3 that possibly someone is working on some sort of fix.

i have the GSM version, and i don't feel like dealing with negri to get a replacement. and honestly, it's bearable and 90% of the time it looks just fine IMO.

bigsnack

Feb 5, 2011
Odd when I was in store playing with one I noticed there was more of a blueish hue to things, and the Coke Cola site looked more orange than red. Oddly enough the Droid Razr, which also is of the AMOLED variant rendered the site more correctly than the Galaxy Nexus and the the HTC Thunderbolt and Rezound with their S-LCD displays.

chrisexv6

Nov 14, 2010
SuperCurio handled creating the Voodoo stuff for the Fascinate (Voodoo Color, Sound, etc) and various other phones. He is currently working on the Note AFAIK.

I believe he said he would look at the GNex if there was enough interest which Im guessing there is.

Once he has it ready to go, it will make the screen color temp issues a whole lot better. I believe he interfaces directly into the controller for the AMOLEDs so we might have a better shot at fixing the warm tint without introducing blue into pure black.

Crazy CS

Jun 25, 2008
Melbourne
Anyway we can make enough noise so he notices that there are enough people that need this?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

alias3800

Jul 26, 2010
I had this problem up until yesterday, when I exchanged the phone for a new one. Luckily, I have the CDMA version and was able to do that at Verizon. Samsung has serious issues with their qc and this proves it. Unlike others, I didn't have to through several replacements, as this phone I received now DOES NOT have the tint. In other words, if you can, don't accept it and exchange it. That yellow tint had me up he wall and wanting to not read anything on the phone. Shifting the phone 10 degrees would grant me a blue tint and looking at it straight on produced a yellow-orange tint. Hated it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

bigsnack

Feb 5, 2011
How does the Coke site look to people who don't have the color issue? What about to those with the tint issue? Thanks.

Crazy CS

Jun 25, 2008
Melbourne
SuperCurio going to assist us improve our screens? I'm sure we would all chip in and give him something for his work?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

The Gingerbread Man

Sep 4, 2010
Gloucester
when I first got my gnex one if the first things I thought was how yellow the screen seemed compared to my old Xperia x10, I dont seem to notice as much now but if I use another phone and go straight to my nexus I notice it again. Really hoping supercurio will bring us some mods, the above poster might have a point if we were to raise a bounty in hope he might be able to do something for us.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

ph00ny

Aug 10, 2008
New York
My GNex has a yellow tint

None of my other SAMOLED based devices have this issue including the S2 and Note

G

--GNex--

I got it too and it makes me angry ! It look very terrible ! Google should change that ! I flashed CM9 and now i can change the settings....but that shouldnt be a soloution!

illr

May 4, 2012
Carlsbad, Ca
I had a ugly yellow tint too! im running trinity kernel and my etc/init.d/900colorcontrol-b50 settings are -10 0 -10 and 129 162 207 try it out! it looks alot nicer and whites are whites with a very small blue but bright. every screen is diff i knw but hey, it doesnt hurt to try!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I don't really know what to say, but let me give you my 2 cents.

First, AMOLED screens are all different for some reason, and I can vouch for this as I replaced my Nexus one 9 times for power button and various other issues, and each time the color temperature was different. Some were warmer (with a red tint) while others were cooler (blue tint). If you swap it, you might get a better tint, maybe even white if you're lucky.

Second, the Nexus S also had a tint problem (yellow tint) just like yours. The two display models at my BestBuy both are VERY YELLOW compared to my HTC Sensation and look really bad, but it might be because their screens were ruined from being on for so long. There was a post on XDA in the Nexus S forums who said he swapped until he got a "white tint" but then Google actually updated the Nexus S with different Color Settings and totally washed out his screen, while yellow tinted ones actually got better. If Google releases a color patch, you might not like it, but I don't think they will after the backlash from the Nexus S one.

tl;dr Get it swapped, it's a hardware issue. Swap until you get one you like, you paid for it, you deserve it. :)
    Oh geez here go again, i thought the yellow tint was going to die with the galaxy s ii, guess not, it's alive again on the galaxy nexus , i swapped my galaxy s ii because the yellow tint was too distracting, in low "backlight" the white looked yellow :mad: , the one i got is less yellow but the colors dont pop as much as on the first galaxys ii i had :(

You're going to want LCD if you want perfection, but you'll give up great blacks and thinness+battery life, not to mention the phone entirely.

Keep swapping, took my 9 tries but it was worth it for my Nexus One :D