Galaxy 8.9 - Discontinued?

Search This thread

Royaltiger

Jan 24, 2012
I have heard from a lot of sources (many corporate) that the Samsung Galaxy 8.9 will not be continued by Sammy any further. They are focusing on 7" and 10.1" size in the US looking at the mediocre sales 8.9". Due to this reason the next generation of Galaxy tablets i.e., Tab 2 is strictly 10.1" and 7".

The Galaxy 8.9 32GB has already been deleted from many retailers' system after it was all sold. And 16GB continues till the stock depletes.

So if you are interested in Galaxy 8.9, time is running out. FYI!

desantim

Jan 5, 2010
Oregon
I have heard from a lot of sources (many corporate) that the Samsung Galaxy 8.9 will not be continued by Sammy any further. They are focusing on 7" and 10.1" size in the US looking at the mediocre sales 8.9". Due to this reason the next generation of Galaxy tablets i.e., Tab 2 is strictly 10.1" and 7".

The Galaxy 8.9 32GB has already been deleted from many retailers' system after it was all sold. And 16GB continues till the stock depletes.

So if you are interested in Galaxy 8.9, time is running out. FYI!

I got on the 8.9 wagon myself, and am pretty disappointed I did. I think my best option would have been to hold out for the Sammy Note, and go with a 10.1" otherwise. The 8.9 has little support and it isn't nearly as useful IMO. It's like the awkward duckling.

Ah well, we live and we learn.

~m

tuktukscotty

Aug 17, 2010
Bridlington
Google Pixel 4
I love my 8.9. I had the 10.1 but found it too big, tried out the HTC flyer 7 inch but it was too small IMO. I use my 8.9 everyday and can honestly say that it's perfect for what I want it to do. My laptop hardly ever gets turned on anymore!.

brusko1972

May 3, 2008
Brampton
I love my 8.9. I had the 10.1 but found it too big, tried out the HTC flyer 7 inch but it was too small IMO. I use my 8.9 everyday and can honestly say that it's perfect for what I want it to do. My laptop hardly ever gets turned on anymore!.

Same here. My netbook only gets turned on probably one's a month. I am glad I bought the 32GB 8.9 tab since sammy wont be making 8.9 tabs anymore

Reactions: swa2k4

giant22000

Oct 2, 2011
Google Pixel 2
How disappointing. I originally bought the samsung galaxy tab 7 +. It was too small and also didn't have that great developmental support. The samsung galaxy tab 8.9 is perfect for me. The quality fit and finish also feels much better on the 8.9. The only thing that I felt that it was lacking was a micro sd card slot. I'm just glad that I bought one before they are discontinued.

DBBGBA

Apr 9, 2010
New York
I wonder how much more successful the 8.9 would have been if it had a SD Slot?

SD slot, better screen, faster software and maybe 100$ less than the 10" then it would have been a hit. Even with these problems I found it much more comfortable than other tablets. The size is really perfect and if you look at it maybe it's because it's closer to the one of the ipad or a medium size book.
Plus the GPS is a killer, that thing locks on satellites like nothing I have ever seen, it beats an Asus Transformer (not the prime)!!!

Jameslepable

Jul 13, 2011
Liverpool
I think this tablet is massively under rated, it is a perfect size. It's replaced my netbook when I go to university. It's small and practical at the same time.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 using Tapatalk

FloridaPhil

Jul 17, 2011
Tampa Bay
The mediocre sales were due to limited outlets carrying the 8.9. As far as I know, it was limited to Best Buy for the longest time. Dumbest move ever. It really is the sweet spot tablet size wise. An SD slot would have made it killer.

Jnn1

Nov 10, 2010
Another vote for the 8.9!

I've been through the 10.1, 7.0 and this 8.9, and no doubt this is the best. -size and weight, portability and usabilty are superior! If sales were low, its mainly cause most people don't even know let alone have tried it.

I was a bit dissapointed there was no mention of galaxy tab 2 8.9, but the tab 2 series are minor refreshes so I am hoping an overhaul later this year or next brings exynos quad super amoled plus 8.9s! :D

Royaltiger

Jan 24, 2012
Another vote for the 8.9!

I've been through the 10.1, 7.0 and this 8.9, and no doubt this is the best. -size and weight, portability and usabilty are superior! If sales were low, its mainly cause most people don't even know let alone have tried it.

I was a bit dissapointed there was no mention of galaxy tab 2 8.9, but the tab 2 series are minor refreshes so I am hoping an overhaul later this year or next brings exynos quad super amoled plus 8.9s! :D
That will be awesome but I doubt it.

I got to play with the Tab 2 10.1 today in the store. Frankly I wonder how well it will do. The only improvement is microSd slot. I believe to keep the price low, Samsung decided not to go for quad processsor. They even took the flash
out from the rear camera.

Quite frankly, whoever is in charge of Galaxy product development is trying to compete on price rather than the product. That's stupid.

Jnn1

Nov 10, 2010
That will be awesome but I doubt it.

I got to play with the Tab 2 10.1 today in the store. Frankly I wonder how well it will do. The only improvement is microSd slot. I believe to keep the price low, Samsung decided not to go for quad processsor. They even took the flash
out from the rear camera.

Quite frankly, whoever is in charge of Galaxy product development is trying to compete on price rather than the product. That's stupid.

My guess is the Galaxy Tab line is being turned into the middle range line for the masses - galaxy tab 2 is made to compete with the popular kindle fire and ipad2.

The high end line to compete with the new iPad[3] will probably be the Galaxy Note 10.1 Sammy promised to release. I am just hoping an 8.9 comes comes out in the Note family too! (With quad exynos and s amoled + or s LCD 2 and dedicated stylus and apps!

xxelpmoc

Apr 10, 2011
Long Beach
plus.google.com
Amazon

Of course amazon.com always has stock available but they are 100$ more than the sold out stock on bestbuy.com...i was able to get my hands on a 32gb 8.9 and the size is perfect light thin...I guess the only thing really we could have used was the expandable microsd but with 32 gigs and only paying 350$ for mine last year I guess I cant complain...

Royaltiger

Jan 24, 2012
So true about Amazon exploiting the fact they are few retailers left with 8.9 Galaxy. Last week it was $569.

StarkCity

May 4, 2012
Palm Desert, Ca
www.facebook.com
Yeah, 8.9 is the perfect size. Terrible for it to be discontinued. Luckily our community is pretty strong, great devs doing great work so although it sucks, I'm not sweating the support loss as we support ourselves rather well. Thanks to all that contribute.

7310- AOKPB35_motley v3+ @1.5gh
Droid Charge stock
IPhone 4 and iPod touch jail broken on 5.0.1

Reactions: bionicbee2000

dbpaddler

Oct 19, 2009
Philly

Same here. Had most of the popular 10.1's at some point along with a dell streak 7 and Evo View. The 8.9 is the perfect size to always carry. I toss the keyboard dock in the work bag and my Dell 11z has found a home in my car and hasn't left in ages. It's the 800 res in the 8.9" form factor that does the trick for me. Hope that opens the door for another mfg to step in with that size and maybe add a little connectivity without the dongles.

Maybe if they melded it with the features of the 7.7 it would have a better following.

chongox

Oct 7, 2010
I don't really mind the trends, and i think are some stupid opium for the masses.
but it really get on my nerves when affect the usability of the products.
also when someone have a real oportunity to make somenthing unique and instead just copycat the market leader

lets see tablets
7" too small to read / 10" too big to use with one hand..
10000 variants of a 7"inch
10000 variants of a 10"inch
and samsung stop using the 8.9" factor !!

let see phones
10000000000000000 phones one more similar to the other
but no one seems to do something different like
HARDWARE KEYBOARD?

but is not all lost, everything is always back
is nice at least Samsung going back to the stylus,
rather than following an stupid moron that want me to use my fingers for everything. Hey im not in kindergardeen.
humans find out that they can do somenthingh else than painting with the fingers somethngh like 35.000 years ago ;)

Reactions: bionicbee2000

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Which is too bad... because 8.9 is kind of the sweet spot. Just the right size.

Same here. My netbook only gets turned on probably one's a month. I am glad I bought the 32GB 8.9 tab since sammy wont be making 8.9 tabs anymore
    Yeah, 8.9 is the perfect size. Terrible for it to be discontinued. Luckily our community is pretty strong, great devs doing great work so although it sucks, I'm not sweating the support loss as we support ourselves rather well. Thanks to all that contribute.

7310- AOKPB35_motley v3+ @1.5gh
    Droid Charge stock
    IPhone 4 and iPod touch jail broken on 5.0.1
    I don't really mind the trends, and i think are some stupid opium for the masses.
    but it really get on my nerves when affect the usability of the products.
    also when someone have a real oportunity to make somenthing unique and instead just copycat the market leader

lets see tablets
    7" too small to read / 10" too big to use with one hand..
    10000 variants of a 7"inch
    10000 variants of a 10"inch
    and samsung stop using the 8.9" factor !!

let see phones
    10000000000000000 phones one more similar to the other
    but no one seems to do something different like
    HARDWARE KEYBOARD?

but is not all lost, everything is always back
    is nice at least Samsung going back to the stylus,
    rather than following an stupid moron that want me to use my fingers for everything. Hey im not in kindergardeen.
    humans find out that they can do somenthingh else than painting with the fingers somethngh like 35.000 years ago ;)
    Sad but true, I am indeed an avid Samsung fan, Starting from the S-1, and the now S-3 and also had my hands to 3 different tablets: Galaxy Tab P1000, Tab 7.0 plus P6200 and the now Galaxy Tab 8.9 P7300. All the huge switch from 7.0 plus to 8.9 at first made me thought that i got the best mid sized tablet (of which is true) despite its 1Ghz dual-core, i still picked this brand new unit all for the thought of that this unit will get the proper attention from Samsung despite it's less fame status of now only a few people have this type of tablet that Samsung produced and yet this month we never heard an update from Samsung about the Official ICS firmware (except for the wifi version) of which is overly passed due not to mention most tablets were already on JB. God i begin to hate Samsung's terrible support... I wanted to just move on and accept but i still can't ignore the fact that i made a huge mistake in choosing this tablet and dump my 7.0 plus. I'm Very Disappointed Samsung!