[Q] Moving app data from internal sd to external

Search This thread

gamerka

Oct 29, 2009
Moscow
Motorola Razr 5G
Hi! I have an 8 gb hummingbird, and I wonder if thete a way to move or even install apps or just some apps' data from internal sd to external one. For example, I installed Asphalt and now can't install Real racing because have about 500mb left.
Do I need to make some sdext partition on my sd? Basic sd swap seems like a little extreme and unreliable.
I'm running emmc cm10.1 stable.

Sent from my BN Nook HD using xda app-developers app

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
Hi! I have an 8 gb hummingbird, and I wonder if thete a way to move or even install apps or just some apps' data from internal sd to external one. For example, I installed Asphalt and now can't install Real racing because have about 500mb left.
Do I need to make some sdext partition on my sd? Basic sd swap seems like a little extreme and unreliable.
I'm running emmc cm10.1 stable.

Sent from my BN Nook HD using xda app-developers app
You need to go to my HD/HD+ CWM thread linked in my signature and read item 4. I have flashable zips there that will swap the internal and external SDs. After you flash it and reboot all new apps data like those game files will get stored on the external SD.

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using XDA Premium HD app

gamerka

Oct 29, 2009
Moscow
Motorola Razr 5G
After you flash it and reboot all new apps data like those game files will get stored on the external SD.
And then I'll need to move all the data from internal to external?
Also "For these swap zips to work, your SD must be formatted to fat32. " I have exFAT 64gb card, so there's a broblem.
And finally does "A 16. Swapping Internal and External Media Storage" from "Nook Color Tips Thread" will work on NookHD?

And what about CWM backups and flahable zips then, how can I backup and install zips from external sdcard?

Last edited:

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
And then I'll need to move all the data from internal to external?
Also "For these swap zips to work, your SD must be formatted to fat32. " I have exFAT 64gb card, so there's a broblem.
And finally does "A 16. Swapping Internal and External Media Storage" from "Nook Color Tips Thread" will work on NookHD?

And what about CWM backups and flahable zips then, how can I backup and install zips from external sdcard?
Yes, you must move old data from internal to external if you want it automatically available to apps.

You will have to reformat it to fat32. Use SDFormatter free on the web.

And no, that nook color technique does not work on the HD/HD+.

And the swap does not effect CWM. But CWM has an option to use the external SD (for both backups and flashable zips).

Last edited:

gamerka

Oct 29, 2009
Moscow
Motorola Razr 5G

And the swap does not effect CWM. But CWM has an option to use the external SD (for both backups and flashable zips).

OK, SDFormatter formats only in exFAT, windows cant format volumes more than 32gb in fat32, so when I find right foematting tool I think it will be all.
Also CWM does not understand exFAT, so FAT32 will solve that problem too.

Last edited:

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
OK, SDFormatter formats only in exFAT, windows cant format volumes more than 32gb in fat32, so when I find right foematting tool I think it will be all.
Also CWM does not understand exFAT, so FAT32 will solve that problem too.
I'm pretty sure SDFormatter does fat32 unless the 64GB is causing a problem.

Edit: it doesn't.

Try here:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2012001

Sent from my SCH-i705 using XDA Premium HD app

Last edited:
Reactions: gamerka

sammyconigs

Sep 5, 2011
I
Yes, you must move old data from internal to external if you want it automatically available to apps.

And no, that nook color technique does not work on the HD/HD+.

I have Nook HD +. I used the swap sd card zip. It shows internal storage as ext sd card and my sd card as sd card in root browser. But when I download apps they are all going to my external sd card. Am I doing something wrong? I have stock 2.2 rooted.
Thanks

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
I have Nook HD +. I used the swap sd card zip. It shows internal storage as ext sd card and my sd card as sd card in root browser. But when I download apps they are all going to my external sd card. Am I doing something wrong? I have stock 2.2 rooted.
Thanks
Isn't that what you want by using the swap? For downloaded items to go to external SD? They would go to internal SD without the swap.

They are only downloaded to external temporarily until installed, then they are put on internal.

Sent from my SCH-i705 using XDA Premium HD app

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts