[Q] Large File Transfers - Phone freezes

Search This thread
Jun 14, 2010
Apparently if I transfer a large amount of files or say a single large file >4GB from my phone to the computer - the phone will freeze up.

Some times it will become responsive later but is pretty unstable since going to Chrome will usually cause it to freeze and I will have to reboot.

I have tried transferring a large amount of anime/tv shows and it will consistently freeze/lock up.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Reactions: Chikel
X

x102x96x

Apparently if I transfer a large amount of files or say a single large file >4GB from my phone to the computer - the phone will freeze up.

Some times it will become responsive later but is pretty unstable since going to Chrome will usually cause it to freeze and I will have to reboot.

I have tried transferring a large amount of anime/tv shows and it will consistently freeze/lock up.

first try another device to transferring from that usb port u used for phone
this problem is similar to unstable connection
and unstable connection can have different cause
ROM, micro-port, pc-port, cable, storage of phone or pc & etc
if problem solved after rebooting so it was maybe because of cache or an error in device storage

Jun 14, 2010
first try another device to transferring from that usb port u used for phone
this problem is similar to unstable connection
and unstable connection can have different cause
ROM, micro-port, pc-port, cable, storage of phone or pc & etc
if problem solved after rebooting so it was maybe because of cache or an error in device storage

it will happen when i try to transfer over WiFI to a network share using ES File Explorer (no cables) or even when i transfer to a meenova sd card reader via StickMount/USB OTG.

The problem is not often solved with rebooting..

sometimes not letting the phone sleep will allow it to continue the transfer successfully.

skyo12

Apr 13, 2012

I have the same issue. It took forever transferring photos from my PC to the N5 when i first got the phone due to constant crash and it's the same deal when I made a nandroid backup and trying to transfer to my Win8.1 PC.

I read of the same issue for some people and I wonder if there's a fix? This happens as OP said when you're trying to transfer rather large files using USB. I'm using Airdroid as an alternative, but it's VERY slow.

Last edited:

bblzd

Nov 6, 2013
Toronto
Anandtech review noted that at around maximum transfer speeds the phone would become unresponsive temporarily.

X

x102x96x

it will happen when i try to transfer over WiFI to a network share using ES File Explorer (no cables) or even when i transfer to a meenova sd card reader via StickMount/USB OTG.

The problem is not often solved with rebooting..

sometimes not letting the phone sleep will allow it to continue the transfer successfully.

i didn't use for 4GB over wifi! (it will get lots of time!)
but ~2GB i did
there might be bug in ROM for it
anyone check this on custom rom of N5?

SoulkeepHL

Mar 22, 2007
Chicago
Same problem here, when transferring many files to my Nexus 5, after a few moment the file transfer freezes... Wonder if there is any fix for it :(

Huh, so I'm not going crazy. Now the better question is whether or not it's better that I'm not alone in having my My Nexus 5 hang on file transfers. I use FolderSync to keep my all of my Android devices sync'd/backed up to network shares/webdav over WiFi, and the remainder of my devices work beautifully, and the Nexus 5 locked up nightly until I disabled the sync.

bblzd

Nov 6, 2013
Toronto
What transfer speeds are you getting? Anandtech noted very high transfer speeds (about 150mbps) was causing the phone to lock up in their tests.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

L

lombas

This problems still occours even on Android M 6.0 Marshmallow.
nexus 5 is a beta product. I have no doubt about it.
One thing that seems to avoid the freeze up, is first copying from the phone to the PC and latter deleting the contents, instead of cutting and pasting.

radzfoto

Feb 17, 2016
I had a 3.95GB file on my Nexus 5 and transferring using MTP to my PC kept freezing the phone. Tried different cables and different computers, but no luck. Out of desperation, because I really needed this file (it's for a project), I put the phone on airplane mode, and then tried the transfer again. It worked! I have no idea if I just got lucky. My thinking was that putting the phone in airplane mode would turn off all the wifi and cellular data transfers that might happen in the background as well as stopping or putting to sleep some Android services. Again, I don't know if this is a real fix or if I just got lucky. Just thought I would share my result.

Reactions: shadowdevil

fcecin

Dec 21, 2018
Airplane mode didn't work (at least not by itself), so I tried rebooting into Safe Mode. You hold the power button, and when "Power Off" shows up on screen, you press and hold it instead of just tapping it. Then it will show the option to boot in Safe Mode.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I had a 3.95GB file on my Nexus 5 and transferring using MTP to my PC kept freezing the phone. Tried different cables and different computers, but no luck. Out of desperation, because I really needed this file (it's for a project), I put the phone on airplane mode, and then tried the transfer again. It worked! I have no idea if I just got lucky. My thinking was that putting the phone in airplane mode would turn off all the wifi and cellular data transfers that might happen in the background as well as stopping or putting to sleep some Android services. Again, I don't know if this is a real fix or if I just got lucky. Just thought I would share my result.