Boot animation preview [7/7/10] - Lucky Day

Search This thread

camalot

Retired Recognized Developer
Jul 25, 2007
Hickory Hills IL
de.codeplex.com
This is a tool for windows that will allow you to preview a boot animation (bootanimation.zip) file before applying it to your device. If you have the SDK in your environment path, it will also allow you to apply the boot animation to the device. I have tested about 50 boot animations and only had 2 that wouldn't load, and they didn't load because there was an invalid line in the desc.txt file.

Requirements

• .NET Framework 4.0
  • Windows XP or later
  • Android SDK added to Environment path (to set the boot animation on the device, if you don't have it in the path, you just cant set it from the app)
  • Boot Animation files to open (you can pull one off your device @ /system/media/bootanimation.zip)

bapscreen.png

export.png

This is the dialog to create an animation, it takes a directory, analyzes the "parts" and creates the desc.txt from the values entered in the property grid. Then asks where to save the animation and names it based off the name of the folder.

createanimation.png

The other feature that BAP offers, is the ability to export a boot animation as an animated GIF. It will try the best it can to create a gif that will do the animation justice. The export can take some time, and can be somewhat large, depending on the number of images, parts, and "loops" of the boot animation.

Below is an export of the CyanogenMOD 5.07-test2 boot animation

cm.gif

supernova-small.gif

Here is the download for this boot animation, I do not remember where I found to, so if you created it please let me know and I link to your thread instead.

if your interested in more boot animations, here is my skydrive with all the boot animations I have. there may be some dupes in there.

Attachments

• bapscreen.jpg
    bapscreen.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 1,160
  • BootAnimationPreview.1.5.zip
    180.9 KB · Views: 18,250
Last edited:

camalot

Jul 25, 2007
Hickory Hills IL
de.codeplex.com
I've made some updates to the application. It now gives you more control when exporting to a gif, you can set the quality and set how many times the "infinite loop" section should loop (if there is one that loops forever). These settings can decrease the size of the file, plus the amount of time it takes to create the animated gif. The better the quality, the longer it will take to process, also the more loops, the longer it will take and the gif will be larger.

See OP for new download.

PeRRiiN

Apr 5, 2010
CA
Is it possible for you to upload the boot animation of the green android on the second GIF? I loved it and i would like to put it on my phone without flashing CM 5.0.7 (i have 5.0.6 already)

thank you.

May 26, 2010
Raleigh, NC
I may just be misunderstanding how to operate this, but I unzipped the .exe to my sdk tools folder (where adb is located) and ran it from there, opened a random bootanimation, and then hit the phone icon. windows requested permission to run adb, so it appears to have found it, but when I rebooted the phone, my animation was unchanged.

Do I need to have the phone booted into recovery for this to work or have the .exe extracted elsewhere?

TheSSJ

Feb 25, 2010
OnePlus Nord
AWESOME! It's been an eternity of searching until I finally found this tool allowing me to export zip contents to gif! Thank you!!!

dancer_69

Jan 2, 2007
Is this for android 2 and newer versions, or it works and for 1.5, 1,6?

Last edited by a moderator:

jakijal

Feb 18, 2010
colorado
sorry, im gon bump this also, but i sent an animation to my phone and it works. but when i flash new roms with diff animations... the animation doesnt change.
i want to know where it gets stored when its sent via the program. i searched in /system/media but the animation in there is the one from the recently flashed rom, and not the one i sent using the program.
so im kinda stuck and wondering now...

JAguirre1231

sorry, im gon bump this also, but i sent an animation to my phone and it works. but when i flash new roms with diff animations... the animation doesnt change.
i want to know where it gets stored when its sent via the program. i searched in /system/media but the animation in there is the one from the recently flashed rom, and not the one i sent using the program.
so im kinda stuck and wondering now...

I would try checking /data/local/, as far as I am aware that is the only other place it can go.

jakijal

Feb 18, 2010
colorado
I would try checking /data/local/, as far as I am aware that is the only other place it can go.

well, i forgot to mention that... but i used 'astro' and 'andexplorer' but nothing was inside /data folder. so dunno whats up with that. dunno if its the app that doesnt actually show the files or what.
i havent really used adb to check it tho, cuz im not 2 sure how to do it either but... i dunno...

JAguirre1231

well, i forgot to mention that... but i used 'astro' and 'andexplorer' but nothing was inside /data folder. so dunno whats up with that. dunno if its the app that doesnt actually show the files or what.
i havent really used adb to check it tho, cuz im not 2 sure how to do it either but... i dunno...

Those aren't very goof apps to be using as that is the problem. I suggest using something like Root Explorer or SUFBS instead, they are root file explorers.

camalot

Jul 25, 2007
Hickory Hills IL
de.codeplex.com

sorry, i dont check this thread that often. Yes, it puts it creates /data/local/bootanimation.zip

If you cant find it using any file explorers for your phone, from a command line you can do

adb shell rm /data/local/bootanimation.zip

camalot

Jul 25, 2007
Hickory Hills IL
de.codeplex.com
Boot Animation Preview 1.5 uploaded and added to OP. This has some minor fixes in the animation algorithm and other little tweaks.

The main feature added is the ability to take a directory and turn it in to an animation. It will read the directory, and the "parts" in there. Then it generates the desc.txt from the values entered in the dialog, like FPS, size etc. Then it zips up the directory to a file named after the base directory.

createanimation.png

connyosis

Jul 12, 2010
Any chance of a Linux version of this program (Or at least one that runs in Mono)?

Ok, so it seems that since the application is targeted towards .net 4.0 which so far only SVN Mono supports. Is there something specific in .net 4.0 you are using in your app, or could it be compiled for .net 3.5 so it would (potentially) work in Mono as well?

Last edited:

Niksac

Aug 21, 2009
Thx a lot - great Programm!

Opening the same animation which is already loaded will cause the program to crash :(

I need this BootAnimation you created a gif from - the one with the big android in the middle and the lightshow in the background =) where can i find it ?

Nik

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a tool for windows that will allow you to preview a boot animation (bootanimation.zip) file before applying it to your device. If you have the SDK in your environment path, it will also allow you to apply the boot animation to the device. I have tested about 50 boot animations and only had 2 that wouldn't load, and they didn't load because there was an invalid line in the desc.txt file.

Requirements

• .NET Framework 4.0
    • Windows XP or later
    • Android SDK added to Environment path (to set the boot animation on the device, if you don't have it in the path, you just cant set it from the app)
    • Boot Animation files to open (you can pull one off your device @ /system/media/bootanimation.zip)

bapscreen.png

export.png

This is the dialog to create an animation, it takes a directory, analyzes the "parts" and creates the desc.txt from the values entered in the property grid. Then asks where to save the animation and names it based off the name of the folder.

createanimation.png

The other feature that BAP offers, is the ability to export a boot animation as an animated GIF. It will try the best it can to create a gif that will do the animation justice. The export can take some time, and can be somewhat large, depending on the number of images, parts, and "loops" of the boot animation.

Below is an export of the CyanogenMOD 5.07-test2 boot animation

cm.gif

supernova-small.gif

Here is the download for this boot animation, I do not remember where I found to, so if you created it please let me know and I link to your thread instead.

if your interested in more boot animations, here is my skydrive with all the boot animations I have. there may be some dupes in there.
    Green Android found at last!

I am a complet noobie and this is my very first post.

Thanks camalot for the great Boot Animation Preview app.
    I checked out Your "here is my skydive" link and found the
    little green android everyone has been asking for.

I have attached the file below. And as camalot stated at
    the beginning of this thread "If you created it, please let
    me know and I will link to your thread instead."

I have the HTC EVO and finally decided to root it.
    Started research two days ago and now I'm rooted with
    unrevoked running SetCPU, System Panel, Super Manager,
    JuiceDefender, Startup Cleaner, Titanium Backup, Astro,
    Wireless Tether, Uninstaller for Root, eFile, and
    Superuser Permissions. I also now have a new splash screen
    and boot animation. I have tried to test all my apps thorougly,
    and everything seems to be running stable.
    Very fortunate as I only had a few minor problems getting
    to this point and did not have to post any request for help.
    A true testament to how much useful information can be found
    in the xda forums if You are willing to do a bit of searching.

SUPER THANKS to all the GREAT DEVs for doing all the really
    hard work, and making it SOOOOOO easy for us Nooobs.
    Can someone zip a file for me I've tried everything but I cant figure out how this BootAnimationPreview works.
    I can try to Attach file I dont know if I'm allowed to.
    Pm me so I can send U my files it is about 4mb 200pic
    EDIT: never mind U found a issue. I forgot to chose store in stead of normal ;)

Pls read this before making your own boot animation zip file:http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/33932-bootanimation-zip-file-explained.html
    You have to create a NORMAL zip file with the allowed format.
    In your zip file, i think there are some mistakes in set the folder name (part0, part1 for android and part1).
    Then in the desc.txt there are mistake too, this file outlines how the animation progresses and a sample is as follows:
    512 256 30
    p 1 0 part0
    p 0 0 part1
    '512' is the width of the animation
    '256' is the height of the animation
    '30' is the desired fps of the animation
    'p' defines a animation part
    '1' how many times this animation part loops
    '0' defines a pause (max 10)
    'part0' is the folder name where the animation images are
    'p' defines another animation part
    '0' defines that it loops forever (until android starts)
    '0' defines a pause
    'part1' is the folder for the second animation part.