[Q] Got my Square card reader today

Search This thread

luvit

This absolutely does not show up in market for me. Even from links on squareup.com.
Who is rooted prior to searching for this and had succeeded to install?
I did obtain an APK, I can't remember from where, but when I click on install button it simply states "not installed"

garfnodie

Apr 2, 2008
Columbia, TN, USA
This absolutely does not show up in market for me. Even from links on squareup.com.
Who is rooted prior to searching for this and had succeeded to install?
I did obtain an APK, I can't remember from where, but when I click on install button it simply states "not installed"

Where are you located, geographically speaking?

As for root vs not rooted, I am rooted and was able to install and use it, my father is not rooted and he was also able to install and use it as well.

Kermee

Sep 1, 2009
Square sent me two of the readers by accident.

Works without issue on CM Nightly 203.

Cheers,
Kermee

Smokeaire

May 11, 2010
Missouri
I received two readers also.
I rooted my Nexus 1 months before I knew about Square, no problems in downloading and installing app. Running CM roms.

player911

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 8, 2006
Cincinnati
www.SnapSiteAdmins.com
Finally got my Square reader

Although it doesn't work.

I downloaded the latest app from the Market so it gets updated and downloaded when I switch roms. I'm using CM6.1. The Program starts up and detects the reader inserted, although when I touch or swivel or look at the reader the wrong way, it vibrates... and on the main screen it says, "Please Swipe Again"

Looks like it kinda goes in and out. The headset icon in the taskbar is steady.

I haven't once gotten it to read my card. I don't know if the reader is bad or if my headset jack is flaky? This is my second N1 due to my first headphone jack freaking out and always thinking it was in headset mode (making calling difficult). This one seems fine. It switches back and forth out of headset mode.

I do have a weird problem with the headset jack in my car keeps freaking out just like this but it is a cheap cable. I just blamed it on the cable being poorly designed. Maybe I have another funky headset jack.

[UPDATE]
I think its my phone :(
My neighbor has a N1 and it works perfectly. I finally got mine to read if I kinda wrap my finger around it and push it forward so it gets a good connection. I also have mine tilted slightly. Once I find the right angle/grip, I can swipe it flawlessly.

I guess I'll be giving Google a call.

Last edited:

the_dza

Mar 23, 2007
Topeka
Need the APK

I have a Novo 7 Paladin that I have updated to Android 4.0.3 but I still have very limited access to Google Play. I'm really hoping that someone can extract and post the Square apk. Links to the market just don't cut it for my poor little Chinese tablet. This is what I get for trying to save a few bucks!

CharlieSummers

Mar 6, 2011
I have a Novo 7 Paladin that I have updated to Android 4.0.3 but I still have very limited access to Google Play.

Not sure it works properly with ICS...the SquareUp.com website suggests it has issues with Honeycomb, although they just released a new version on the Market.

For reasons I don't want to get into, my tablet doesn't have a Google account, and I'd really like to keep it that way, so no Market access. If anyone has a copy of v2.2.7 (current as of March 9, I think) and could make it available, that would be great...my device is supposed to be here tomorrow or Tuesday, and I'd like to test it out.

(Usually, I pull free apps with a rooted AVD and transfer the APK via sdcard, but naturally the emulated device can't see the SquareUp app...)

Edit: Thought maybe I could use the AppBrain Fast Web Install to pull it, but even Play Store app tells me it's "not compatable," just like the SquareUp app. So if anyone knows of the 3.0 version of Fast Web Install APK available, please post a pointer and I'll try that to pull the SquareUp app.

(*sigh*) Wish it wasn't so d*mned difficult not to provide all of your information to everyone for marketing purposes...

Last edited:

thedarlington

Apr 16, 2012
heres one that works (just tried it), but its an older version 1.5 so u might have to look for a newer one soon, well it wont let me post it but if u still want just replace the dots n it should work i also cant get into the android store, if i can ill post a better version soon

www6 dot zippyshare dot com/v/60233538/file.html[/url]

CharlieSummers

Mar 6, 2011
heres one that works (just tried it), but its an older version 1.5 so u might have to look for a newer one soon

Much thanks for the post!

That version will run, but won't connect to Square's servers to process scanned CCs. I've been able to find up to version 2.2 APK on the web, but apparently Square changed things so that _only_ their most recent version (2.2.7 according to APK-search websites) will properly process a scanned CC. Haven't tested manually-input numbers, but there's a pretty big difference in the processing fees for scanned vs. input. For manual inputs, might as well just use the much-hated PayPal.

Edit: Trying everything I can think of short of buying a sacrificial tablet, and can't get the APK. Can't anyone with SquareUp installed on a rooted device pull the APK from /system/app and post it somewhere?

Last edited:

RADRaze2KX

Nov 29, 2007
Tempe, AZ
just got mine ... testing on evo3d, failed my first two dozen swipes...

their website says:
EVO 3D If you encounter any issues, follow these steps:
1) Open the Square Card Reader app
2) Insert the card reader
3) Tap the home button
4) Adjust the phone volume up/down
5) Tap the Square icon to open Square again.

So I tried that... didn't help... so I removed the reader, closed the app, opened it again, and inserted the reader fast-and-furious... now it's working ... :confused: