Android 4.4.2 [10.5.A.0.230][XZR] - Full Review !

Search This thread

Ramjade

Aug 19, 2011
Hi,

I would like to ask, my phone is on 4.3 rooted with towelroot. Locked Bootloader. If I update OTA, will my root still be kept after update?

halfbloodmutant

Oct 2, 2012
Duliajan Assam India
Hi,

I would like to ask, my phone is on 4.3 rooted with towelroot. Locked Bootloader. If I update OTA, will my root still be kept after update?

Ota will fail if you try it on rooted Rom. I tried but cannot install via Ota as I was rooted. Ota downloads data but installation fails. If you are rooted then pc companion is the only option. You can root again using towelroot again.

Sent from my C5502 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

enfilade

Oct 10, 2013
Hyderabad
Notes Widget issue

Thanks for the review @DoO37.

One issue I noticed in 4.4.2 is with the Notes Widget. The widget shows the contents of the note in focus. But when I switch notes in the widget, I see a blank note. I have to swipe to change to different homescreen and back to the one with widget to see the contents of the note.

Has anyone else seen this issue? Any known solutions or tips?

Othaaxxx

Nov 23, 2010
After Updating to 4.4.2, the EXCHANGE option in the email app by SONY is removed :mad:. Have to install Stock Email App by Google.

EndOfDays-Wildfire

Jul 3, 2011
Androidland
Is the battery drain fixed? I'm not using Maps or Google Now, the update is available but I'm not sure whether I should update.
Do you recommend to upgrade or should I rather wait for the next update? Because 4.3 is running quite good...

Mario.D

Aug 22, 2011
Gothenburg
www.consolemods.se
Is the battery drain fixed? I'm not using Maps or Google Now, the update is available but I'm not sure whether I should update.
Do you recommend to upgrade or should I rather wait for the next update? Because 4.3 is running quite good...

No battery drain are still here :'(
But i dont think you should be affected by the bug if you dont use maps, g-now and keep location reporting off.

Skickat från min C5503 via Tapatalk

Reactions: EndOfDays-Wildfire

usbfreak

Jul 7, 2013
Rollback

Hi, is it possible to rollback to 4.2.2 (10.3.1.A.2.67), my current version is 4.3 (10.4.1.B.0.101) . I updated it OTA...
I have'nt rooted my phone yet, coz its just 1 week old.
I'm missing the Blue LED light up when the call starts (and during the call), or is there any option to switch it on.. ???

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    5_Xperia_ZR_Side_Black_kitkat.jpg

Xperia ZR
    Android 4.4.2 Review
    -----------------

• Sony ChangeLog •
    --------------------

• We’ve been building new Sony experiences on Google’s KitKat release to create some neat / sweet features (if we say so ourselves) – in addition to a few performance tweaks here & there, some of the functionality you can look forward to includes:
    • Google’s Android 4.4; KitKat as standard – bringing improved performance & user interface (UI) optimisation…
    If you’ve got a Sony PlayStation 4, you might recognize our new user interface – we’ve added the same sleek launch animation and live wallpaper across the lock and home screens. You’ll also spot a revamped Status Bar and Quick Settings… now more intuitive and customisable (also with a fresh new look)… cleaned up to ensure you only get the notifications you really need

• As you might expect, we’re also uplifting Sony’s entire native app portfolio to the latest versions bringing tweaked / improved / current experiences for one and all… some of our favourites look like:
    • Messaging – a few UI adjustments here & there, including a slicker “send” animation, and deeper Emoji support for some expressive fun… also worth noting, you’ll find smileys wherever there’s an app with a keyboard :) :)
    • Email – you’ll be able to both load and see more mails… but don’t fret, navigation of said load is easier with a more responsive viewing pane – split screen modes divide info for easy digest… especially useful / works a treat on Xperia Tablet Z
    • Smart Social Camera – our social imaging experience makes its debut on our first Z Series devices; a selection of Xperia Camera apps directly accessible from your viewfinder… including personal favourite “Creative Effect”, and more for download to boot!
    • Battery STAMINA Mode - level-upping our unique power management feature, bringing smarter data management & more for prolonging your juice

• Sony’s Media apps: WALKMAN, Album and Movies, with Sony Entertainment Network cloud service integration* – a more converged and full Sony entertainment experience – Sony Entertainment Network & PlayMemories integration with a more intuitive UI, better download speeds, and more…
    • And proving pretty popular, now totaling over 2 million downloads (!) – our unique custom interface experience: “Xperia Themes”, with downloadable UI packs from Sony Select – skin up to 280 assets across your Xperia smartphone with a variety of styles…
    • Compatibility with our SmartWear Experience; SmartBand SWR10 and Lifelog app – enabling you to record social, physical and entertainment activities and have them all visualised in a beautiful interface… reminisce at that past, make the best of the present and plan for the future
    Source

User Interface
    -------------------

• The Kitkat update brings the Xperia Z2 UI (Sirus UI), Gradient Statusbar & NavigationBar, Live Wallpaper, New Lockscreen effect and much more..
    Note : In Screenshots I'd changed the NavigationBar icons using Xposed Framework, So the stock one is just the default Xperia

• The Gradient Translucent Bars gives you great Fullscreen Experience

• Totally New Notification Drawer with 2 Taps style

• A little enhanced Call Screen with new After-Call Screen

• New Features Added like Printing, managing Notifications, Changing StatusBar Icons

• Camera, it just brings the new Creative effects which replaces Perfect effects
    Sony said that the camera had improved a lot in 4.4, but for me i feel like it's the same as 4.3
    Still 4.1 & 4.2 was faster in taking pics

• New emojis integrated in the Smileys button in the new Xperia Keyboard, You can use them in contact names, Notes..etc

• Immersive Fullscreen Mode (which hides the StatusBar & the NavigationBar to feel the real Fullscreen experience)

To enable Immersive mode in apps that don't support see below in the "Annoyances"

• Sony New Media Apps.. they are not included in the update, but we should receive an OTA update for these apps in this week
    i already received the New Album (will be reviewed when all got the update)

• No What's New app found !
    • No "Clear Apps" in Recent Apps menu !

Benchmarks
    --------------
    I used Antutu & Quadrant Benchmarks..
    I got 21K Score in Antutu

Battery Life Test
    -------------------

Hard Use Battery Test
    It lasts for ~12h Hard Usage
    ~11h Both WiFi and Data enabled
    5h+ Screen on
    ~1h Voice Calls

Another Hard Battery Usage by @nbrian2012

Lite Battery Usage Test
    Lasts for 2 days, 7 Hours !!
    Thanks to @BobLC

Bugs/Annoyances
    -----------------

• Scroll Lagging in Settings App & Notification Drawer
    FIX : go to Settings>About, and tab on the "Build Number" 5 times to enable Developer Options
    Then go to Settings>Developer Options, Enable "Force GPU rendering"

• WiFi appears to be always on even when i switch it off
    FIX : go to Settings>Wi-Fi>Advanced, Disable "Scanning always available"

• Google Play Services is draining ~50% of Battery
    FIXED : Just install the latest Google Play Services update, and the issue will be solved permanently

• Can't move/delete anything from the external SD Card using third party file managers
    FIX requires root : Install Xposed Framework, and install module called "Handle External Storage"

• Immersive Mode is not working in all apps
    FIX requires root : Install Xposed Framework, and install module called "Force Immersive Mode"

• Keyboard lagging - Needs Confirmation
    It happens because of an update for "Xperia Keyboard"
    Fix/Workaround : Uninstall updates for Xperia Keyboard, just stay with the factory one until next fixed update to be released

Conclusion
    ------------

Sony is really doing a great job not only the User Interface, but also in the user experience and Media Apps..
    Of course a lot better than other Manufactures that only update the android version and nothing more !
    When comparing from Sony Xperia FW JB 4.1 to 4.2 to 4.3 and now to 4.4
    you'll see the big improvement between them..
    I believe that the previous 4.1/4.2 firmwares were more stable/faster (not smoother) ,but still the new updates are recommended !

In this particular time, i think that Sony will focus on fixing all the bugs in the 4.4 Kitkat, since it's the latest Google Android version.
    I hope that we'll receive a bug fix update in the next month
    Thanks Sony for supporting our device

Credits

Big Thanks to @Thibou and @sijav for the Pre-rooted ROMs
    Thanks guys for supporting our lovely ZR :)

Pre-rooted ROMs here : Thinou's Thread & Sijav's Thread

Say Thanks to them guys, they are doing a great work for our device

And of course Thanks to Sony for the update, we got it in May like it said, No Delays !
    Some Battery Stats

My Little Battery Test (Still waiting for your's ;) @DoO37
    A general look on the battery

Playing Asphalt Now All Test will test how 10% of battery would perform

Youtube On 3G I don't have 4G

Watching Monster's University

While watching I felt many wakelocks as if the movies app is forcing the mobile to stay away which causes a 0,1 second lag after an interval of 10 minutes even Wakelock takes more power than the Movies app
    Just flashed 10.5.1.A.0.283
    First impressions: performance is as smooth as the 4.3 update! :D :victory:

Will post battery results over the next few days :) @DoO37
    I think I may have found the solution to the Google Play services power drain problem, I’ve had both Scanning always available and Location Reporting enabled for the past 13+ hours and Google Play services have only consumed 3% of my battery.

I didn’t come up with it, it was shared by Mario Gaudet in the comments section on blogs.sonymobile.com
    I followed it step by step and it worked. Hope it helps others, too. Good luck!

“SOLUTION for the battery drain issue caused by Google Play Services:
    I’m not here to defend Google nor Sony, however the issue is due to a bug that only exists between Google software and third party software like Sony or any other for that matter (that uses location to track your phone if you lose it for example…)
    Anyway, the solution is relatively simple:
    1- Settings -> Apps -> All -> Google Play Services
    2- Clear cache
    3- Click Manage Space, then Clear all data
    4- Back, disable, it will ask you to revert to older version, say YES
    If you have Uninstall Updates, do it.
    If it says you can’t disable because of administrators, click manage administrators and deselect the softwares (for me there were 3, one of them is Sony My Xperia, I disabled it)
    5- Once disabled, restart Xperia phone
    6- You may notice errors etc…, its ok, its only temporary
    7- Once rebooted, go again to apps, and enable Google Play Services
    8- If the phone says you need to update Google Play Services, Update and you are good to go, if not, open Hangouts, and it will tell you to update…
    9- Once the update is complete, you are done.
    10- Make sure you have your location service enabled (because you may have disabled it in the past to preserve battery)

That’s it. I did it on several devices, Xperia ZL 4.4.2, Galaxy S4 4.4.2 and Nexus 5 4.4.2, and it fixed the battery issue on all of them."

The original post: (blogs.sonymobile.com/2014/05/21/new-sony-software-upgrade-including-android-4-4-kitkat-rolls-for-xperia-z-xperia-zl-xperia-zr-and-xperia-tablet-z/)