ICS Updates (Not) Fixing Random Reboot and Other Problems

Did the new ISC update fix the random reboot problem for you?

• Total voters
Search This thread

goosegrease

Feb 25, 2012
After ICS updates I had daily reboots and Asus logo freezes (stock, unrooted, tried factory resets). Then I disabled wifi in sleep mode and I haven't had a single reboot in 2 weeks. I even tried leaving it in sleep mode without waking it for 4 days straight, and it did not reboot. I'm reasonably happy with it now :) (of course there's still the issue of choppy hd video playback)

habylab

Dec 3, 2010
Just install Guvenors test kernel 14 or 15, perfect for me. Not one single reboot since.

HOWEVER: Still get no audio randomly on some boots.

lchiu7

Mar 2, 2010
After ICS updates I had daily reboots and Asus logo freezes (stock, unrooted, tried factory resets). Then I disabled wifi in sleep mode and I haven't had a single reboot in 2 weeks. I even tried leaving it in sleep mode without waking it for 4 days straight, and it did not reboot. I'm reasonably happy with it now :) (of course there's still the issue of choppy hd video playback)

I had just started to notice the random reboots on the Transformer and didn't think too much about it since it's my wife's machine and she doesn't use it much. But then I noticed it had rebooted while I looked away from a minute.

The machine is on ICS (updated a couple of months) and there might have been some updates since then.

It's on

IML74K.WW_epad-9.2.1.17-20120312

and is a Asia Pacfic model if that makes any difference.

It also is stock.

I am going to try the suggestion above to see if the reboots go away.

karlr30

May 17, 2011
Quebec, Qc
I'm starting to be completely tired of waiting for that update that will address the ics problem.
I always see people talking about the reboot problem, But what about the other issues like vpn, browser lag, and gps connection that seems less good than with hc? I did not had any of these problem before ics.I'm starting to think about an rma.
Anyone has sent back their tf101 for repair about ics ?

shawt

Nov 12, 2008
Prague
Every two days reboot...battery dead....can I go back to Honeycomb somehow?

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using xda premium

farsight73

Dec 29, 2010
Selangor
Updated to ICS and really happy with it, but RR and SOD comes right after..
Since I see there's no real proven working ICS stock or update can cure this persistent problem. I installed wakelock and there it goes.. no more RR and SOD.
Though this wake lock do is prevent your TF101 from deep sleep but I see it's not really consumed much battery either.
It has been running almost two days without RR or SOD.

Note: my transformer is B60 and run ICS build.17, rooted with CWM installed..

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using XDA Premium HD app

fldude99

Oct 13, 2010
Updated to ICS and really happy with it, but RR and SOD comes right after..
Since I see there's no real proven working ICS stock or update can cure this persistent problem. I installed wakelock and there it goes.. no more RR and SOD.
Though this wake lock do is prevent your TF101 from deep sleep but I see it's not really consumed much battery either.
It has been running almost two days without RR or SOD.

Note: my transformer is B60 and run ICS build.17, rooted with CWM installed..

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using XDA Premium HD app

Yes, for the stock unrooted user, wake lock app is the 100% rock solid workaround for now.

Steven_nl

Mar 27, 2009
The Hague
hmm haven't had any lockups reboots or drains for a few days. I wonder if an app was causing the problems and it was fixed in an update.

Steven_nl

Mar 27, 2009
The Hague
May be you can check or investigate which app have updated in the last few days, so we can narrow down the culprit and kill it... or murder it.. :D

I dunno man. I just did the standard updates from Google market. So everybody is getting the same updates if it is app related.

I did shut down the Tegra NVIDIA app though. Not sure if it is better after that or it was allready better.
Couple of days without any problems. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

farsight73

Dec 29, 2010
Selangor
I dunno man. I just did the standard updates from Google market. So everybody is getting the same updates if it is app related.

I did shut down the Tegra NVIDIA app though. Not sure if it is better after that or it was allready better.
Couple of days without any problems. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

You meant the Tegra Nvidia app that launch to search for games and apps??
You shut down it, freeze it or uninstall ?

Exnor

Jan 9, 2012
LX
GT-i9250
Nokia Lumia 820
I resolved my problem by turning off the TF when im not using it looool.

Now seriously, im getting pissed at Asus for not solving this!

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using XDA

goosegrease

Feb 25, 2012

Of course, as soon as I proclaimed "I no longer have the problem!" it had to happen again. At least it's not as frequent as it was before. Maybe it rebooted during the short period the wifi's still on after it went to sleep?

cottinghamm

May 2, 2006
Got this reply from Asus UK on twitter this morning:

ASUS (UK) ‏ @AsusUK
@murt_c Fix is on the way soon. We will announce an exact date when we have one.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have been checking for firmware updates daily since Asus posted the news that they were going to release another update fixing the random reboot problem we've been experiencing.

True to their promise, I just got an update from Asus on my transformer. Downloading it right now. Will let you guys know the firmware number once it's done updating. Hopefully this update fixes the random reboot for good.

Update:

I have a US B90 Transformer.

Android version remains at 4.0.3.
    The updated kernel version is 2.6.39.4.
    Battery Usage is fully functional now after the update, showing individual app usage.

So far so good I would say.

Update 2:

Seems like the update did not fix the random reboot problem for everyone. I started a poll here to get an idea of how well the update worked in terms of fixing RR.
    Please give it some time after installing the update before participating in the poll.

Update 3:

9 hours after installing the update, I just saw the dreaded Asus loading screen... Well... quite disappointed to report that the update did not fix the random reboot issue for me.

Update 4: (4/25/12)

24 hours after installing the 2nd update, saw one random reboot, but no hang on boot screen. I say it's an improvement. I don't mind living with a device that reboots on its own once in a while during sleep, as long as it doesn't hang and drain all the battery.

Update 5: (4/26/12)

Just saw the dreaded boot hang... I guess I'm back to Wake Lock again...
    So why do you feel the need to try to discredit every post in which someone says they haven't fixed their issues by doing factory reset?
    Do you seriously believe that just because it does work for you, it must work for other people?

He's nothing but a troll, infecting every thread about this subject and discrediting people.

Mr. Horndroid, go look at the output of the tool that ASUS provided to some people on the stickied thread. Do you see that the device crashes when it tries to resume from pm_suspend (if you even know what this means)? There is a bug in the firmware and it IS affecting some devices. A factory reset does not help in this case. If your tablet is working fine, just get the hell outta here and don't look back.

Man, i can't believe how arrogant people can get...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA
    So why do you feel the need to try to discredit every post in which someone says they fixed their issues by doing factory reset?
    Do you seriously believe that just because it doesn't work for you, it must not work for other people?

So why do you feel the need to try to discredit every post in which someone says they haven't fixed their issues by doing factory reset?
    Do you seriously believe that just because it does work for you, it must work for other people?
    I'm probably the guy you are referring to. I didn't say that the Uptime setting wasn't accurate in ICS, but that it had been not fully accurate in prior Android OS, and that I long since had stopped using it as a reference, after I found the free Reboot Logger app, which provides a listing of time stamped references of actual boot times, and can discriminate between reboots and system shutdowns.

I personally find that approach much easier than digging out the uptime reading in Settings, and calculating approximately when that reboot occurred.

I'm sorry if I didn't make myself as clear as I could have. I was trying to suggest a useful alternative method, not generate any controversy.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    Just let me know where do i find it and its yours in a few minutes!
    Rooted US Transformer with ICS :)

Download the update but do not reboot the tablet.
    Install this app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jackpal.androidterm

And then open it and type the following command:
    Code:
    cp /cache/dlpkgfile.zip /sdcard/
    followed by enter. If the app can't find the file, write /cache/dlpk followed by the "TAB" button and the terminal should find it for you.

Then delete it (else when you reboot the tablet, the update will be installed):
    Code:
    rm /cache/dlpg*

Then just upload the file you copied to /sdcard/, which is the internal memory of your device.