[Telus Only][How-To] Root your Fascinate Gingerbread 2.3.3 T959TLKG2

Search This thread
H

harimgs

Telus Fascinate 3G+ recently got updated to Gingerbread and here is how to root it.

Things that you need

1.Speedmod Kernel
2.Stock GB kernel [attatched below]

How?

1. First flash the Speedmod kernel via odin [vol down + connect the usb]
2. uncheck repartion, auto reboot option and flash it
3. go to recovery mod [vol up & down + power button]
4. go to speedmod advanced option menu
5. root your device
6. flash back to Stock Telus GB kernel via odin

Attachments

• T959TLKG2_Kernel.tar
    5.5 MB · Views: 1,811

MrManiacNF

Jul 11, 2011
Newfoundland
This works??? I'm assuming it do since you posted it. God damn, thank you so much. Really. I have so many I use on a regular basis that I couldn't use because I couldn't get root.

In total since yesterday I've reset my phone 7 times from trying different things.
Will those phone boot on this kernel? and is their any advantages over the stock kernel?

Do you know a good, fool proof method I can rip this rom for others?

Thanks Again.
Maniac

H

harimgs

This works??? I'm assuming it do since you posted it. God damn, thank you so much. Really. I have so many I use on a regular basis that I couldn't use because I couldn't get root.

In total since yesterday I've reset my phone 7 times from trying different things.
Will those phone boot on this kernel? and is their any advantages over the stock kernel?

Do you know a good, fool proof method I can rip this rom for others?

Thanks Again.
Maniac

Hey

This is just showing you that how to root. and the stock kernel has nothing its just original kernel.

From my understanding, other sgs and telus fascinate has diffrent bootloader system. And also to create Custom Rom, we need source, but we dont right now. We have to w8 for it.

Thanks,

MrManiacNF

Jul 11, 2011
Newfoundland
Confimed! Works.

Just to confirm for others this works perfect for rooting the 2.3.3 GB stock update for Telus Fascinate. I didn't try booting while I had the speedmod kernel flashed. Happy with root right now.

Kaik541

Jun 26, 2010
Cedar Park, TX
Telus Fascinate 3G+ recently got updated to Gingerbread and here is how to root it.

Things that you need

1.Speedmod Kernel
2.Stock GB kernel [attatched below]

How?

1. First flash the Speedmod kernel via odin [vol down + connect the usb]
2. uncheck repartion, auto reboot option and flash it
3. go to recovery mod [vol up & down + power button]
4. go to speedmod advanced option menu
5. root your device
6. flash back to Stock Telus GB kernel via odin

if you have root, would you mind dumping the firmware? since the telus fascinate is (mostly) a rebranded tmobile vibrant, I'd like to be able to have someone look at the firmware blobs for GPS for use with CM. Can't find an ODIN-able package to tear apart anywhere (haven't looked in a day or so though).

jpmccarthy

Jan 13, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S10
Just to confirm for others this works perfect for rooting the 2.3.3 GB stock update for Telus Fascinate. I didn't try booting while I had the speedmod kernel flashed. Happy with root right now.
Total n00b question, but what do I need to set in Odin to use these files - unchecking repartition and reboot is straightforward - but where do I set up the TAR for the kernel (In the past I have use SGS kernel flasher - but that needs root - hence my predicament LOL).

All help, advice, and fu appreciated.

karmatose

Nov 24, 2008
Ontario
Click on the PDA box in Odin and choose Speedmod Kernel. Uncheck those boxes on the left and then put your phone in download mode.

Click start and pray.

The rest of the directions are pretty straight forward. Follow those same principals for dumping the stock kernel back on the phone.

Like this:
exampled.png

Last edited:
Reactions: pipebrain

jpmccarthy

Jan 13, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S10
Click on the PDA box in Odin and choose Speedmod Kernel. Uncheck those boxes on the left and then put your phone in download mode.

Click start and pray.

The rest of the directions are pretty straight forward. Follow those same principals for dumping the stock kernel back on the phone.
Great - and sorry, how do I get the phone in download mode (read another odin how to, it says a box will turn yellow which happens with just the down vol while connecting the USB).

karmatose

Nov 24, 2008
Ontario
Power the phone off.. Have your usb cable on hand.

Plug the phone in, press vol down + power on. You'll know immediately if it worked. Took me a few tries to figure it out.

Reactions: pipebrain

karmatose

Nov 24, 2008
Ontario
LOL.. Couldn't tell ya. I did mine yesterday afternoon and that seems like ages ago. Heck, I can't remember what I had for breakfast.

Kids, don't do drugs. ;)

jpmccarthy

Jan 13, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S10
LOL.. Couldn't tell ya. I did mine yesterday afternoon and that seems like ages ago. Heck, I can't remember what I had for breakfast.

Kids, don't do drugs. ;)
LOL - I tend to be a bit impatient which causes more problems than not. Odin is still 'File Analysis' so seems to be taking a bit ... not sure how long flashing the speedmod kernel itself should take.

jpmccarthy

Jan 13, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S10
LOL - I tend to be a bit impatient which causes more problems than not. Odin is still 'File Analysis' so seems to be taking a bit ... not sure how long flashing the speedmod kernel itself should take.
No - I was doing something wrong - tried it again from the start and it was super fast applying the changes - and now ROOTED. Thanks so much for the help!!!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Click start and pray.

Like this:
    exampled.png
    Power the phone off.. Have your usb cable on hand.

Plug the phone in, press vol down + power on. You'll know immediately if it worked. Took me a few tries to figure it out.
    that P.S. is your problem.

after you flash the speedmod kernel, unplug the phone and turn it off. now hold down volume up and down, and then while still holding vol up and down, hold down the power button. continue to hold all 3 buttons until you see a green menu. use the volume buttons to navigate to speedmod advanced menu. use the power button make a selection. choose to root. then go back to the initial menu and select to reboot into download mode. now flash the stock kernel back using odin