[Root] NookManager - graphical rooter for 1.2.x and beyond

Search This thread

jeff_kz

Nov 4, 2012
This is a graphical, interactive rooting system with the ability to create/restore backups and factory settings.

This has been tested on systems 1.1.5, 1.2.0 (US/UK), and 1.2.1. It will probably work on earlier versions and should be safe to use on future versions. For best results, however, you should be on 1.2.1 before using this tool.

If you've tried rooting your nook unsuccessfully with another utility, it's best to do a factory restore (from NookManager, choose the "Rescue" option and then "Restore factory.zip") and, if your nook came with older firmware, upgrade to the latest 1.2.1 firmware.

Features:
  • Root your Nook
  • Backup/Restore
  • Restore to factory settings
  • Disable B&N Apps
  • Custom plugins

How to root:

1. Download NookManager.

2. Unzip the file you downloaded and write the NookManager.img file to an empty SD card. On Windows, you can use disk imager. Linux and mac users can use dd.
Use a real SD card adapter when writing the image, DO NOT USE YOUR NOOK AS THE SDCARD ADAPTER.

If possible, you should use a dedicated SD card for the NookManager image (so you can easily restore from a backup should you ever screw up your Nook). A 512Mb card is big enough for the NookManager image plus a backup of your Nook.​

3. Power off your Nook, insert the SD card and power on.
You should see the NookManager boot screen followed within 15 seconds by the welcome screen.​

4. Choose "No, continue without wireless"
the wireless option is for advanced users looking to connect directly to their device​

5. Make a backup using NookManager! Choose "Rescue" then "Backup" then "Format remaining space on SD card" and finally "Create backup"
Because NookManager cleans the empty space on the Nooks' internal partitions and compresses the backup, it will take at least 15 minutes (and up to 45 minutes) for the backup to complete. Be patient. The final backup file can be as small as only be a few hundred megabytes, depending on the number of downloaded or sideloaded books you have.​

6. Copy the backup image to your computer. Connect your Nook to your computer using the USB cable. Copy the 'backup.full.tgz' and 'backup.full.md5' files from the NookBackup drive to your computer.
This is your backup in case anything happens to your SD card. This backup is tied to your individual Nook so keep it safe. It's important to copy this file while your Nook is still booted from the SD card because Windows will normally hide the NookBackup partition on the SD card. If you ever need access to the NookBackup partition again, just boot your Nook using the NookManager SD card and connect the Nook to your computer with the USB cable.​

7. Root! After your backup, press "Back" and "Back" to return to the Main Menu. Press "Root" and then "Root my device"

8. That's it! After rooting, pres "Back" and then "Exit". Remove the SD card and put it someplace safe, in case you need to restore to your backup later.

After rooting, you can install Google Apps using straygecko's excellent NTGAppsAttack package if you want to use Google Market/Gmail/Calendar/etc.
[/LIST]

Technical stuff:

The actual rooting function is minimal and as non-invasive as possible:
  • uRamdisk is patched to enable ADB
  • the internal database setting is changed to allow installation of non-market apps
  • the DroidSansFallback font is replaced with the updated font from jellybean to add support for extended characters
  • the su/Superuser binary/package is installed
  • Relaunch is installed
  • ADB Konnect is installed for enabling/disabling ADB over wireless
  • on systems running firmware 1.2+, the ModManager jars and package are installed
  • on 1.2+ systems, the PackageInstaller.apk from the 1.1.2 firmware is installed to resolve issues with package installers
  • and, finally, the Amazon appstore is installed just to have some easy way of downloading new apps. You can uninstall it using ReLaunch if you don't use it.

The uRamdisk patching is done with scripts rather than copying pre-compiled binaries, so this should be safe for all existing versions of the Nook firmware and (hopefully) will be forward compatible with any new releases.

The rooting procedure is non-destructive and can be run multiple times without causing problems.

Under the hood, this is a minimal linux environment with the nook drivers/binaries and a few core android binaries. The display is generated with imagemagick and written directly to the framebuffer.

If you're connecting to NookManager wirelessly over SSH, the username/password is root/root

Wherever possible, the parts of this system are compiled from source including the Linux kernel, uBoot, and all of the buildroot utilities. The hardware drivers and associated binaries are extracted from the 1.2.0 upgrade package.

The source for the project, including an automated buildscript is available at GitHub.

Support for custom menu items and scripts is documented here.

Last edited:

mobamoba

Aug 16, 2007
Thanks for the work on this - it was easy and worked great. And if you're planning to update, maybe add ES File Explorer or Titanium Backup in the pre-installed apps; that would make it easier to install apks directly from your SD card instead of having to do it over wireless adb. But thanks regardless.

remlap

Oct 23, 2003
Wales
Can confirm no refresh works great. Installed FBReader, Opera Mobile, ES File Explorer and Kindle app. Great

I just came from a firmware that had the ability to change the hardware buttons for page turning, any chance of this being added?

Last edited:

Gvr4-330

Apr 2, 2011
Thanks for this! Giving it a try.

Just curious though... I'm trying to create the backup of the device and it seems to take forever to format the free space. It also took forever to find the wireless network and I eventually just rebooted it. How long does it usually take?

I'm using a NST on 1.2.0 and have tried a 2GB Sandisk and a 8GB Dane-elec microsd card.

Gonna try redownloading and re-installing the image.

asprin

Oct 23, 2007
Krefeld
Install apk

Hi, i successfully root my NGL(1.2.0) but, if i try to install apk (Cool Reader) i got an error window "Out of space" and i'm almost sure it must be enough space to install, may someone can help with this ?

jeff_kz

Nov 4, 2012
maybe add ES File Explorer or Titanium Backup in the pre-installed apps

Good suggestion, I've added ES File Explorer

it seems to take forever to format the free space..and wifi

Thanks for reporting this. There was a glitch with the script that formats the SD card and with the wifi loading. Both issues have been fixed in the latest release.

if i try to install apk (Cool Reader) i got an error window "Out of space"

How are you trying to install the apk? I'm also using Cool Reader it installed with "adb install" and runs just fine. For best Nook compatibility, use coolreader 3.1.2-27 (12/11/2012 build) or later.

osowiecki

Feb 21, 2012
Poznań
Last edited:

jeff_kz

Nov 4, 2012
You get this error when you try to install application from an .apk file on sdcard or when you try to update
I'm not able to replicate this: I can copy coolreader to my sd card, and install it from there with no problems using ES File Explorer or ReLaunch. Maybe you really do have a disk space issue. Try openinng an adb shell and run "df -h" to see disk usage on your mounted partitions.

maybe add ES File Explorer

I use Rhythm Software - File Manager

It turns out you can install apks using the file browser in ReLaunch, so I'll be removing ES File Explorer in any future versions.

asprin

Oct 23, 2007
Krefeld
I'm not able to replicate this: I can copy coolreader to my sd card, and install it from there with no problems using ES File Explorer or ReLaunch. Maybe you really do have a disk space issue. Try openinng an adb shell and run "df -h" to see disk usage on your mounted partitions.
It turns out you can install apks using the file browser in ReLaunch, so I'll be removing ES File Explorer in any future versions.
Thx for respond, mate, I tried install with file browser in ReLaunch from sd card, and i cant imagine that can be space issue cause i just start procedure after factory reset and rooting, anyway, thanks for tip, will try tomorrow install new build, and adb install. In general great work you did :good:

osowiecki

Feb 21, 2012
Poznań

df :

/dev: 116452K total, 0K used, 116452K available (block size 4096)
/sqlite_stmt_journals: 4096K total, 0K used, 4096K available (block size 4096)
/rom: 16116K total, 227K used, 15888K available (block size 512)
/system: 285583K total, 210922K used, 74661K available (block size 1024)
/data: 824424K total, 304344K used, 520080K available (block size 4096)
/cache: 237987K total, 4179K used, 233808K available (block size 1024)
/media: 245484K total, 40K used, 245444K available (block size 4096)
/sdcard: 31149680K total, 6924320K used, 24225360K available (block size 16384)

Are you using UK or US Nook?
I'm on US Nook FW 1.2 + v176 kernel

jeff_kz

Nov 4, 2012
I'm able to reproduce the apk install problems now. The "Not enough free space" error is what android throws when the internal PackageManager can't create the temporary apk file. In this case, it turns out that it's a permissions-related read error from the sdcard. I don't know if this is a matter of the internal PackageManager not running with elevated permissions, or if it's that the sdcard is mounted too restrictively.

If I re-mount the sdcard without the restrictive permissions, I can install apks from the sdcard without any errors:
Code:
umount /sdcard
mount -t vfat /dev/block//vold/179:17 /sdcard

If anyone else has any ideas for making this work, I'm open to any suggestions. In the meantime, "adb install" works just fine for installing packages.

Reactions: RAFK

Gvr4-330

Apr 2, 2011
Thanks for reporting this. There was a glitch with the script that formats the SD card and with the wifi loading. Both issues have been fixed in the latest release.

Thanks for the quick update. I'm going to try it out now and will report back. I'm very excited :)

It works! Thanks so much for this! Very easy way to root and backup.

Last edited:

winstonma

Nov 24, 2005
With your tool now I use this to read comics, RSS and books. First I need to say thank you.

I installed "D7 Google Reader" and "Google Drive" which requires Google Login. How could I use this software? Thanks

Also I installed version 0.2, I saw 0.3 comes out. Can I just update 0.2 to 0.3 directly? Thanks

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a graphical, interactive rooting system with the ability to create/restore backups and factory settings.

This has been tested on systems 1.1.5, 1.2.0 (US/UK), and 1.2.1. It will probably work on earlier versions and should be safe to use on future versions. For best results, however, you should be on 1.2.1 before using this tool.

If you've tried rooting your nook unsuccessfully with another utility, it's best to do a factory restore (from NookManager, choose the "Rescue" option and then "Restore factory.zip") and, if your nook came with older firmware, upgrade to the latest 1.2.1 firmware.

Features:
    • Root your Nook
    • Backup/Restore
    • Restore to factory settings
    • Disable B&N Apps
    • Custom plugins

How to root:

1. Download NookManager.

2. Unzip the file you downloaded and write the NookManager.img file to an empty SD card. On Windows, you can use disk imager. Linux and mac users can use dd.
    Use a real SD card adapter when writing the image, DO NOT USE YOUR NOOK AS THE SDCARD ADAPTER.

If possible, you should use a dedicated SD card for the NookManager image (so you can easily restore from a backup should you ever screw up your Nook). A 512Mb card is big enough for the NookManager image plus a backup of your Nook.​

3. Power off your Nook, insert the SD card and power on.
    You should see the NookManager boot screen followed within 15 seconds by the welcome screen.​

4. Choose "No, continue without wireless"
    the wireless option is for advanced users looking to connect directly to their device​

5. Make a backup using NookManager! Choose "Rescue" then "Backup" then "Format remaining space on SD card" and finally "Create backup"
    Because NookManager cleans the empty space on the Nooks' internal partitions and compresses the backup, it will take at least 15 minutes (and up to 45 minutes) for the backup to complete. Be patient. The final backup file can be as small as only be a few hundred megabytes, depending on the number of downloaded or sideloaded books you have.​

6. Copy the backup image to your computer. Connect your Nook to your computer using the USB cable. Copy the 'backup.full.tgz' and 'backup.full.md5' files from the NookBackup drive to your computer.
    This is your backup in case anything happens to your SD card. This backup is tied to your individual Nook so keep it safe. It's important to copy this file while your Nook is still booted from the SD card because Windows will normally hide the NookBackup partition on the SD card. If you ever need access to the NookBackup partition again, just boot your Nook using the NookManager SD card and connect the Nook to your computer with the USB cable.​

7. Root! After your backup, press "Back" and "Back" to return to the Main Menu. Press "Root" and then "Root my device"

8. That's it! After rooting, pres "Back" and then "Exit". Remove the SD card and put it someplace safe, in case you need to restore to your backup later.

After rooting, you can install Google Apps using straygecko's excellent NTGAppsAttack package if you want to use Google Market/Gmail/Calendar/etc.
    [/LIST]

Technical stuff:

The actual rooting function is minimal and as non-invasive as possible:
    • uRamdisk is patched to enable ADB
    • the internal database setting is changed to allow installation of non-market apps
    • the DroidSansFallback font is replaced with the updated font from jellybean to add support for extended characters
    • the su/Superuser binary/package is installed
    • Relaunch is installed
    • ADB Konnect is installed for enabling/disabling ADB over wireless
    • on systems running firmware 1.2+, the ModManager jars and package are installed
    • on 1.2+ systems, the PackageInstaller.apk from the 1.1.2 firmware is installed to resolve issues with package installers
    • and, finally, the Amazon appstore is installed just to have some easy way of downloading new apps. You can uninstall it using ReLaunch if you don't use it.

The uRamdisk patching is done with scripts rather than copying pre-compiled binaries, so this should be safe for all existing versions of the Nook firmware and (hopefully) will be forward compatible with any new releases.

The rooting procedure is non-destructive and can be run multiple times without causing problems.

Under the hood, this is a minimal linux environment with the nook drivers/binaries and a few core android binaries. The display is generated with imagemagick and written directly to the framebuffer.

If you're connecting to NookManager wirelessly over SSH, the username/password is root/root

Wherever possible, the parts of this system are compiled from source including the Linux kernel, uBoot, and all of the buildroot utilities. The hardware drivers and associated binaries are extracted from the 1.2.0 upgrade package.

The source for the project, including an automated buildscript is available at GitHub.

Support for custom menu items and scripts is documented here.
    NTGAppsAttack - Google Apps Installer for NookManager

I just posted an addon for NookManager to install Google Apps. The thread is http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2086582 Hope you find it helpful.
    How long does it take to backup using NookManager?

I've selected it to backup (after rooting & restarting), but it's still on the "creating backup image" screen after 15 minutes.

Edit: Guess it's 18 minutes as it just finished.
    The only thing I miss besides gapps (it looks like we have a solution now) are the norefresh and multitouch from the older rooters. These are nice for pdf reading. Is there any alternative for smooth pdf reading or might these mods be upgraded?

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium

Norefresh, FastMode and Multitouch works fine after you upload 'v166' kernel via CWR.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1906507
    straygecko, would it be possible for you to post a fix we could install over ADB? I apologize if you already have, I looked through the posts and I've not seen it.
    Sorry, I got busy with other things and forgot. Attached is the services.jar file with the fix for connecting to the wifi in a Barnes and Noble store. Use ADB or a root explorer like ES File Explorer to put this file in /system/framework. As always, its best to make a backup of your NST first or at least rename the current services.jar on your NST before installing so you can put it back with ADB if you have any problems.