Prevent unauthorized shutdown on Nexus 4

Search This thread

chainer22

Jan 29, 2013
Hi all,

i am a relatively new nexus 4 owner. loving the buttery smoothness and amazing battery life with stock rom, loving it more with sentinel rom.

so the thing is, i wish to protect my device against theft. in the case it does happen, i would want to be able to retrieve it.

read online reviews about cerberus and find it wonderful! just the app i need...until i realized something. what if the first thing the thief did was to power off the nexus 4 instead of attempting to crack the pin? wouldn't that kinda render the anti-theft app useless? still pretty new with this so please correct me if i am wrong :)

having said that, is there a way to prevent unauthorized shutdown of nexus 4? like prompting of pin before user will be allowed to shut down the device.

Misledz

Jun 1, 2011
Cebu City, Philippines
He can shut it down all he wants. But he won't be able to boot it up to use it. You'll have enough time to take a picture of him using the app by then.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

chainer22

Jan 29, 2013
He can shut it down all he wants. But he won't be able to boot it up to use it. You'll have enough time to take a picture of him using the app by then.

what if, for some reason, the thief decided to not use it but just keep it (weird thief i know), he can just power down and there will be no way the cerberus will be able to take a pic through the "wrong pin" method.

so there's no way one can pin lock the power down, reboot processes?

Misledz

Jun 1, 2011
Cebu City, Philippines
what if, for some reason, the thief decided to not use it but just keep it (weird thief i know), he can just power down and there will be no way the cerberus will be able to take a pic through the "wrong pin" method.

No one steals a phone to make it an expensive paperweight lol. But you're being too paranoid on it, he probably isn't that smart if he's stealing a smartphone knowing that it can always be traced. If not by cerberus, then by Google device admin.

Reactions: chainer22
D

Deleted member 1349438

I've thought about the same thing when a friend of mines phone was stolen. Couldn't call or locate it cuz it was turned off. Use uXylon ROM (4.2.2), Dirty Unicorns ROM (4.2.2), or PAC ROM (4.3). They have a power menu option that let's u hide the power off and reboot options during the lock screen.
uploadfromtaptalk1377796011994.jpg
Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: badboy47

failly

Jul 17, 2012
I've thought about the same thing when a friend of mines phone was stolen. Couldn't call or locate it cuz it was turned off. Use uXylon ROM (4.2.2), Dirty Unicorns ROM (4.2.2), or PAC ROM (4.3). They have a power menu option that let's u hide the power off and reboot options during the lock screen.
View attachment 2221603

Cool feature BUT if the thief just holds down the power button a few more seconds it shuts down :p.

D

Deleted member 1349438

Cool feature BUT if the thief just holds down the power button a few more seconds it shuts down :p.

True, nerds like us know about the hard reset. But average cell phone user wouldn't think of that. They'll hold the button till something happens, of which the power menu will pop up. They'll likely won't keep holding it.

failly

Jul 17, 2012
True, nerds like us know about the hard reset. But average cell phone user wouldn't think of that. They'll hold the button till something happens, of which the power menu will pop up. They'll likely won't keep holding it.

You got a point there mate!

chainer22

Jan 29, 2013
View attachment 2221603

that's awesome! i might give it a try. i became paranoid ever since my i9305 got stolen last week and i failed to install any form of protection on it.

tothinator

Mar 11, 2010
I'd be interested in being able to not have the Power Menu come up on the lock screen too... I'm just on rooted stock right now.

Yes it might make me feel a little better about it getting stolen, but I do understand about the long hold which will still work.

Mostly I'd just like to prevent my own pocket shutdowns... seems like that's happened a handful of times to me.

D

Deleted member 1349438

Anyone know which, if any, 4.4 kit kat ROMs have continued this option setting? I'm still rocking PAC 4.3.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

No one steals a phone to make it an expensive paperweight lol. But you're being too paranoid on it, he probably isn't that smart if he's stealing a smartphone knowing that it can always be traced. If not by cerberus, then by Google device admin.

D
    Deleted member 1349438
    uploadfromtaptalk1377796011994.jpg