Cheap ($10) MHL 2.0 to HDMI Review

Search This thread

babyshanks

Oct 28, 2013
Minneapolis
There's been some discussion about MHL adapters recently so I thought I'd share the one I got since it works well and is affordable. It's a VicTsing MHL 2.0 Micro usb to HDMI adapter I got off of amazon for $10 shipped.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ENETITI/ref=cm_cr_mts_prod_img

http://youtu.be/GSetj1ehv5Q

It's the 11-pin version so it supports the Note 3. I had some screen cropping issues at first (not shown in video), but alittle tweaking of the TV settings fixed this. Also you may notice that it disconnected while I initially connected it, but that was because I wasn't pushing it in very much (user error). I've played real racing (tilt steering) without disconnection problems.

v78sbl.jpg

Last edited:

krelvinaz

Feb 20, 2008
Mesa AZ
The amazon listing he provides shows free shipping to me. it is from the seller, not Amazon.

Attachments

• freeshipping.png
    freeshipping.png
    4.4 KB · Views: 377

haza12d

Nov 14, 2007
Gotham
Mine stopped working. It only works now when you plug it in with a power source. :(

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

haza12d

Nov 14, 2007
Gotham
I just did. Hopefully they'll get back to me soon.

I wonder if their stock is all the same. My user manual looks a little different from yours.

CZroe

Nov 13, 2011
Newnan, GA
I just did. Hopefully they'll get back to me soon.

I wonder if their stock is all the same. My user manual looks a little different from yours.

The Apple charger is only 1200mA when used with an Apple device. It's probably outputting 450 or 500mA (USB standard) because it doesn't recognize the charge capabilities of the connected device. Unfortunately, they only support proprietary signaling for Apple device charging capabilities. You should have known considering how notorious Apple is for such things! Granted, a standardized way for microUSB chargers didn't exist when they first needed it, but I doubt they ever added support in any of the revisions. FWIW, the HP TouchPad uses proprietary signaling as well.

I wonder if the MHL adapter is using 100-150mA or if the charger outputs even less than 450mA for non-Apple devices. Apple was notorious for doing just that on Macs back when they wanted to push their IEEE 1394 Firewire iSight camera and it continues today where Macs can charge an iPad but not a 10" Android tablet.

babyshanks

Oct 28, 2013
Minneapolis
The Apple charger is only 1200mA when used with an Apple device. It's probably outputting 450 or 500mA (USB standard) because it doesn't recognize the charge capabilities of the connected device. Unfortunately, they only support proprietary signaling for Apple device charging capabilities.

Ya I remember reading about it but didn't know if the propriety thing was still an issue, I use that Apple adapter as my travel charger for my n3 and still pull 1200mA at least according to galaxy charge current.

Sent from my SM-N900T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: pham818

haza12d

Nov 14, 2007
Gotham
Just heard back from customer service. They say that it is supposed to work with and cannot be used without a power supply. I told them that it worked without a power supply and even showed them the video. They insisted that the unit I received wasn't defective. I'll be returning this and I'm picking up the Samsung one instead.

Chase.XDA

Dec 18, 2013
Phoenix
Just heard back from customer service. They say that it is supposed to work with and cannot be used without a power supply. I told them that it worked without a power supply and even showed them the video. They insisted that the unit I received wasn't defective. I'll be returning this and I'm picking up the Samsung one instead.

The one I received does not work at all, even with the power connected. I'm not sure if I should try and get a replacement or just get a refund since they state it DOES NOT work without power, even though the video shows that it can.

Customer Service said:
Cable must be used with power supply.
Do not support the phone has root ROM.
Not Support Contract Smartphones,Such as the AT&T, Sprint, Verizon Cellphones

babyshanks

Oct 28, 2013
Minneapolis
The Apple charger is only 1200mA when used with an Apple device. It's probably outputting 450 or 500mA (USB standard) because it doesn't recognize the charge capabilities of the connected device. Unfortunately, they only support proprietary signaling for Apple device charging capabilities. You should have known considering how notorious Apple is for such things! Granted, a standardized way for microUSB chargers didn't exist when they first needed it, but I doubt they ever added support in any of the revisions. FWIW, the HP TouchPad uses proprietary signaling as well.

Didn't know that proprietary thing was still an issue, figured it'd be the same since I do get 1200mah (according to galaxy charging current) charging from it using the N3. I'll grab my roommates s2 charger when I get a chance and see if it makes a difference.

The one I received does not work at all, even with the power connected. I'm not sure if I should try and get a replacement or just get a refund since they state it DOES NOT work without power, even though the video shows that it can.

Sorry to hear that guys, guess it's a really inconsistent product. I've had a good experience using it, but I wouldn't have recommended it knowing it had could have such issues.Customer service for me was quick to replace my first one which didn't charge but worked without a power adapter. Also on the product description it says that it works without a power adapter for some phones "Supports use without connecting the charger with some smartphones." so maybe you could use that as an argument if you didn't decide to just return it.

Reactions: pham818

CZroe

Nov 13, 2011
Newnan, GA
I tried the Apple charger and I get 1200mA too. I guess they did add standard signaling for device charge capabilities. Once I even measured 1800mA (immediately went back down to 1200mA)!

haza12d

Nov 14, 2007
Gotham
I just received the replacement and it still needs power to function. I'll be getting my $10 back and grab me the Samsung one. I heard theirs didn't need a power supply.

christianpeso

Sep 20, 2007
I just received the replacement and it still needs power to function. I'll be getting my $10 back and grab me the Samsung one. I heard theirs didn't need a power supply.

100% confirmed that the Official Samsung MHL cable works without an extra power cord.

aznmode

Jun 23, 2007
There's a lot of these circling around eBay. Made to look like Samsung. Even has the Samsung logo and Samsung box. But just like previous mhl it still requires power. Complained to the seller and maybe a few others dud as well so they've taken it off their site. Maybe due to copyright thing as well.

In my review it, it's not a bad unit but some TVs it will only out put 720p but less stutter. At home on my Samsung it outputs at 1080p but stutters.

I wonder how well the OEM version handles 1080p. And I do like that OEM ones do not require power.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    There's been some discussion about MHL adapters recently so I thought I'd share the one I got since it works well and is affordable. It's a VicTsing MHL 2.0 Micro usb to HDMI adapter I got off of amazon for $10 shipped.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ENETITI/ref=cm_cr_mts_prod_img

http://youtu.be/GSetj1ehv5Q

It's the 11-pin version so it supports the Note 3. I had some screen cropping issues at first (not shown in video), but alittle tweaking of the TV settings fixed this. Also you may notice that it disconnected while I initially connected it, but that was because I wasn't pushing it in very much (user error). I've played real racing (tilt steering) without disconnection problems.

v78sbl.jpg
    Amazon does not give free shipping,

Newegg does, not sure it the same one though.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1ZZ0Y42082

Ya it looks the same. Odd that it isn't free shipping for you on Amazon, says free for me.
    Contact them, I had issues with one initially and they sent me a new one free of charge

The Apple charger is only 1200mA when used with an Apple device. It's probably outputting 450 or 500mA (USB standard) because it doesn't recognize the charge capabilities of the connected device. Unfortunately, they only support proprietary signaling for Apple device charging capabilities.

Ya I remember reading about it but didn't know if the propriety thing was still an issue, I use that Apple adapter as my travel charger for my n3 and still pull 1200mA at least according to galaxy charge current.

Didn't know that proprietary thing was still an issue, figured it'd be the same since I do get 1200mah (according to galaxy charging current) charging from it using the N3. I'll grab my roommates s2 charger when I get a chance and see if it makes a difference.

Sorry to hear that guys, guess it's a really inconsistent product. I've had a good experience using it, but I wouldn't have recommended it knowing it had could have such issues.Customer service for me was quick to replace my first one which didn't charge but worked without a power adapter. Also on the product description it says that it works without a power adapter for some phones "Supports use without connecting the charger with some smartphones." so maybe you could use that as an argument if you didn't decide to just return it.