[ROM][JB][4.1.2] Haier W910 moded port from Acer S500

Search This thread

zatycz

Apr 11, 2012
Brno
Hi zatycz - if you get a chance perhaps you could outline the difference between the bundled messaging (SMS/MMS) app in this ROM and the stock version available as a CWM ZIP from the first post? Did you or somebody else make some changes to the stock on and bundled the modified version with the ROM?

As I have said before this ROM runs really well for me so far. I have had just a few small quirks so far which I'll list here in case it's of any help to anybody:

1. After correctly configuring the APN for my carrier I also had to enable National data roaming in GravityBox under Telephony settings to get carrier data working on my network (which happens to be an MVNO in case that's relevant)
  2. I get a couple of default APNs (for internet and MMS) which I cannot delete but this may be down to my SIM and not the ROM?
  3. Occasionally the phone rings for an incoming call but the phone lags really badly and does not present the dismiss/answer call screen until after several seconds sometimes too late to take the call. This has happened a few times but is very sporadic.
  4. In call volume control seems a bit hit and miss - sometimes very loud and sometimes too low and sometimes the volume keys and/or on screen volume control don't seem to adjust it accurately.
  5. Long (non Unicode) SMS messages get split into separate parts in my sent messages list but arrive at the destination as combined/long SMS messages OK. Also I can receive but not send MMS messages. I have not yet tried the stock messaging app CWM ZIP in the first post to see if this helps.
  6. Cannot select the text of a number in the dialer screen for the purposes of copy/paste.
  7. Not a ROM issue but CWM backups seem to get the wrong date (e.g. 1970!). I haven't yet tried restoring a backup but hope it works! :laugh:
  8. I'm a bit unclear about how storage is managed on this ROM - e.g. mounts, internal storage, internal "sd", external sd, and what goes where by default. Maybe somebody can explain?
  9. Ringer/notification volume sometimes erratic? I had a notification sound assigned to incoming messages and it was working fine but then went very quiet and I had to switch to another that I could hear! But this could easily be something other than the ROM itself...
  10. For some reason No Lock (from the Play Store) does not seem to work after a reboot even though enabled and I have to manually run it again (and it says Locking disabled) and leave it for it to take effect.
  11. At one stage I thought that K9 Mail notification LED was not taking effect after a reboot and had to be manually enabled but I think I was mistaken and it seems to work OK now.
  12. TIP: as mentioned above if carrier data is not working but you are sure that your APN is correct then try enabling national data roaming in GravityBox Telephony.
  13. TIP: if you don't like losing screen real estate to on screen buttons then try Auto Hide Soft Keys app from the Play Store.

2. You can delete default APN's by deleting or freezing /system/app/PreloadNetworkSettings.apk

3. Yes, it sometimes lags for few seconds, after screen on. I dont know why, but it has someting to do with msm-dcvs governor. With ondemand governor i didnt see it for seven days. But, afaik, msm-dcvs governor is more optimized for Krait cores and spare some battery power and i noticed higher temperature while playing game with ondemad. Download No Frills CPU controll and set governor to ondemand and check apply on boot.

4. I did some tweaks to call sound settings, but it looks like it is worse, than default. Ill repair it and upload zip with update.

5. If you want to send MMS, use stock SMS/MMS app. Download link in first post.

6. Dont know how to repair it :(

7. Its CWM issue, nothing to do with ROM

8. Internal 8GB memory is splited into:
619 MB /system partition
1,58 GB /data partition (for apps and their settings)
5,19 GB internal memory mounted as /mnt/sdcard0
External microSD card is mounted as /mnt/sdcard1. Apps use internal memory (sdcard0) for their files, mostly in Android/data/ folder, but somethings it saves files randomly in root folder and make mess in memory. Some apps can select, where to install app/game data, download files, save photos and video etc.
There is a way to mount external SD card as internal memory (sdcard0) and internal memory as external sd card (sdcard1). Just download and flash this http://goo.gl/AdS1Of, but before this, copy Android folder from sdcard0 to sdcard1 (im using Total Commander) and move all apps from Phone storage to Application storage in Settings-Apps, or you will lost all apps data files and all apps moved to internal memory.

9. I dont have problem like this

10. Ill install this app and try to find solution.

Last edited:
Reactions: mumayi

dalyer

Jun 24, 2013
Dublin
Hi zatycz - thanks for the reply and tips. Much appreciated.
Let me try some of those suggestions and also try to get more detailed info about any outstanding issues (e.g. volume issues etc.).
Just to clarify - by and large the ROM runs really well for me and any issues are far from being showstoppers. :D

dalyer

Jun 24, 2013
Dublin
(2) I managed to get carrier data working. In System settings > Wireless & networks > Mobile networks > Data enabled and Data roaming were checked (the latter because it's often required with MVNOs operating on another carrier's platform). However this did not work. But eventually I installed the Xposed Framework and GravityBox using the bundled installer app. Then I went to GravityBox > Phone tweaks > Mobile data > National data roaming and checked that. This kicked the data connection into life. Even if I disable Data roaming in the regular Android settings.
Odd - I just updated from the originally bundled GravityBox 2.8.4 (?) to 2.9.2 and now that National data roaming option is no longer presented. But my carrier data connection still works all the same... :)

dalyer

Jun 24, 2013
Dublin
Well in the first post zatycz says that it's his "final" version of this ROM so I for one would not expect any updates...

Anybody else ever try the Qualcomm Snapdragon BatteryGuru app on the Haier W910?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.xiam.snapdragon.app

I did and found that my battery performance was worse and BatteryGuru was taking about 10% of the overall power usage!
I've uninstalled it and battery life has improved again. So much for that! :(

Last edited:

Diomorgan

Jul 11, 2011
Rome
With latest two rel of this rom i got reboot when I turn on wifi thethering...sooooo bad I'mtraveling a Lot andI need It :(

dalyer

Jun 24, 2013
Dublin
With latest two rel of this rom i got reboot when I turn on wifi thethering...sooooo bad I'mtraveling a Lot andI need It :(

Ha ha! Switching it on worked fine for me. But when I attempted to connect using my Windows 7 64 bit laptop the laptop blue screened after I entered the wifi AP security key to connect! I'll try it again later with other devices and see if/how it goes... I wanted to post an update on the issues that I have found using this ROM for the past few months anyway.

Diomorgan

Jul 11, 2011
Rome
Sorry, bat latest rom is full of bugs, very slow/laggy compared to firts releaes (the one with camera bravo on).no tethering (that use to happen even before...even in the spanish rom that was NOT a port of the acer, so maybe our phone will neverwifi tether, tried even some app from appstore, same results:reboot).
Some random reboot, battery is VERY hot with both on demand and other governor.battery life decreased drastically.
It lags on phonecalls, even on hardbutton wakeup.I'll try switching back to ol spanish rom and see.my bf has the spanish rom and, exluding the thether issue, has no problem at all!
Anyhow, maybe using it as primary phone stressed battery and hardware too much.
Maybe link2sd too contributes to lags even if I have a samsung32gb class10 ui micro sd.
But i can find lag even in non linked apps...
I'm so sad haier won't release kernel source code and we won't never see 4.3 or 4.4.
[OT] i'm on 4.4.2 on my y300 and it's simply Amazing, but screen/plastic/pictures/speaker quality are worse than w910... :(

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

Last edited:

dalyer

Jun 24, 2013
Dublin
Sorry, bat latest rom is full of bugs, very slow/laggy compared to firts releaes (the one with camera bravo on).no tethering (that use to happen even before...even in the spanish rom that was NOT a port of the acer, so maybe our phone will neverwifi tether, tried even some app from appstore, same results:reboot).
Some random reboot, battery is VERY hot with both on demand and other governor.battery life decreased drastically.
It lags on phonecalls, even on hardbutton wakeup.I'll try switching back to ol spanish rom and see.my bf has the spanish rom and, exluding the thether issue, has no problem at all!
Anyhow, maybe using it as primary phone stressed battery and hardware too much.
Maybe link2sd too contributes to lags even if I have a samsung32gb class10 ui micro sd.
But i can find lag even in non linked apps...
I'm so sad haier won't release kernel source code and we won't never see 4.3 or 4.4.
[OT] i'm on 4.4.2 on my y300 and it's simply Amazing, but screen/plastic/pictures/speaker quality are worse than w910... :(

Odd - I am using the ROM linked from the first post in this thread and don't have these problems.
In particular

- I have had the odd lag but not often enough to be a big problem
- Ditto for reboots
- Generally no lags on calls or wakeup
- Haven't noticed battery getting hot habitually - only on stuff like continuous YouTube etc.

The hardware isn't that weak so using it as a daily phone is reasonable in my view (and experience!).
I haven't used link2sd so maybe that does make a difference?
I came from a Huawei G300 so am still pretty happy with how the Haier performs on this ROM. :)

I still need to collate my few issues/quirks and post about them in case they are of interest to anybody but by and large this ROM works really well for me so I'm surprised your experience seems so negative in comparison...

Diomorgan

Jul 11, 2011
Rome
Looks like reverse engeneering on kernel is SO diffucult and I wonder wy haier (or acer) doesn't release the source code.
Anyhow, I'm on elbuit v5.5 , run fine, even i MUST use link2sd, I have a lot of apps...
And its looks like any 4.1 rom can do wifi tethering.
No matter what settinsg or encryption, 3rd party tethering tools makes phone reboot!!!
Edit: bluetooth tethering neither...
Battery increased a lot on elbuit to.
Actually, I love this phone, but with no edited kernel we can use only a little of his power! :(

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    OK, here is my final version of JB 4.1.2 ROM for Haier W910. Its based on EN/CN port from Acer Cloudmobile S500 repacked by elbuit from here http://www.movilesdualsim.com/threads/rom-4-1-2-stock.47032/page-3#post-443577
    I added some multilang strings from bassrockers mod from needrom and merge it with my complete CZ translation. Some app are EN/CZ only (FMradio, Voice Recorder)

What was added

Radio image from 4.0.4 factory ROM
    Support for init.d scripts
    CPUgovernor set to MSM-DCVS (best for Snapdragon chips) on startup
    Cache for internal memory and SD card set to 2048 on startup
    Automatic TRIM(fstrim) /data partition on boot.
    Some build.prop tweaks for best app compatibility and better performance. Some of them are maybe placebo :)
    Universal ODEX script from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2162413
    AdAway with pre-set hosts file
    Xposed installer - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1574401
    Gravitybox modul for xposed framework by CECO http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2316070
    Xperia Honami keyboard - I like it. Has very good swype writing and autocorrection, nice look and some configurability
    Font SegoeWP - imho much better font than Roboto
    Camera and Gallery from Android 4.3
    SMS from z CyanogenMOD with Quickreply and strip unicode ability
    Sounds from Xperia phones
    Total Commander
    Viper4Android - great music fx app and setting http://vipersaudio.com/blog/

What was removed

All google apps, that can be installed from Play Store (youtube,gmail,gmusic,gbooks etc)
    All apks for testing (EM...)
    Boot sounds and boot animation.
    MusicFX.apk because Viper4Android is much better.

Installation

0. Make backup of apps, sms and any other important things that you cant miss.
    1. You need to have CMW recovery installed
    2. Copy zip to memory card.
    3. Boot into CWM recovery: Hold volume down while turning on phone
    4. Make wipe data / factory reset
    5. Install zip from sdcard -> Choose zip from sdcard -> choose zip with ROM.
    6. DO NOT wipe data now, because some apps are installet to /data/app and wipe will delete them.
    7. Reboot system now.

If you want to use Xposed Framework, run Xposed Installer, install framework and reboot.

Thanks VIPER520 and ZhuHang for great app Viper4Android http://vipersaudio.com/blog/?page_id=31
    Here you can download package with preset Impulse Response Samples http://xdaforums.com/showthr ... ?t=2216193
    If you want to use other sound FX combined with ViperFX you need to turn on Compatibility mode in Viper4Android FX

If you want to odex apps and framework (ODEX script), run Terminal Emulator and type:
    Code:
    su
    dexo -all
    Reboot :)

Download

Latest release:
    Haier_W910_4.1.2_multi-13122013.zip https://docs.google.com/a/zaty.eu/file/d/0B1sK6kF3ugoFcndJLU80anJyejA/edit

Changes:
    Added facelessone's tweaks to better call sound
    Repaired init.d scripts for setting sd cache and io governor
    Added /system/bin/fstrim and run it on /data at each reboot
    Some tweaks to log service, maybe fix for some wakelocks
    Increase entropy read threshold wakeup at boot

Original stock SMS/MMS app http://d-h.st/Cip

If you dont like builtin switches in notification, or want customizable switches, here is update zip with modified SystemUI with switches hidden. You can then use Power Toggles from Play store, to create great customizable notification switches http://goo.gl/UV8XeS Im using it and its stable and fully working.

If you got too many wakelocks from EventLogService install https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ccc71.pmw and run it. Select Startups, find and select Google Service Framework and here unselect checkin.EventLogService$Receiver and checkin.EventLogService and restart phone.

Old releases:
    Haier_W910_4.1.2_multi-05122013.zip http://goo.gl/h4yGKl

If you like my work, feel free to buy me a beer and donate on my paypal with DONATE TO ME button :)

Credits for:
    C3C076 for Gravitybox module
    rovo89 for Xposed framework
    MatrixDJ96 for Universal Odex Script
    VIPER520 and ZhuHang for Viper4Android
    and many more of moders and developers for some tweaks and documentations that allow to understand how android works.
    Update on this...

(1) I'm assuming that my wifi issue will be sorted by disabling the "avoid poor connections" option. If not I'll post back.

(2) I managed to get carrier data working. In System settings > Wireless & networks > Mobile networks > Data enabled and Data roaming were checked (the latter because it's often required with MVNOs operating on another carrier's platform). However this did not work. But eventually I installed the Xposed Framework and GravityBox using the bundled installer app. Then I went to GravityBox > Phone tweaks > Mobile data > National data roaming and checked that. This kicked the data connection into life. Even if I disable Data roaming in the regular Android settings.

(3) I had a weird one when I composed a text message of a few lines and the messaging client sent it as several different messages with no obvious logic about where it split it. It wasn't a crazily long text or anything. I reckon it should have fit into a single SMS... I'll keep an eye on this.

(4) When running the stock browser I sometimes get garbage/artifacts in the notification/status bar. I'll post a screenshot later.
    Hi zatycz - thanks a lot for the reply.

By all means feel free to cite the Gravitybox "national data roaming" tweak in case it helps others (on MVNOs?) to get carrier data working. I don't claim any major kudos for that. I just stumbled across it having tried lots of other combinations of APN settings etc. :eek:

I was using the stock browser although previously on my Huawei G300 I was using Dolphin. I'll try the tweak that you mention but may just switch to a non stock browser anyway.

I'm not sure about the SMS issue - I'm sending texts in English so no "extended" Unicode characters. However again I will try the tweak that you mention. I'd just prefer to see "long" texts presented in their consolidated form rather than split into separate 160 char chunks.

Otherwise the ROM runs very well for me so far. Setting the in call volume can sometimes work a bit odd using the volume keys or on screen slider but I haven't really figured it out.

Otherwise no major issues so far - thanks a lot for a great ROM and hope the token payment from me will cover the cost of a beer! :laugh:
    I'm not sure about the SMS issue - I'm sending texts in English so no "extended" Unicode characters. However again I will try the tweak that you mention. I'd just prefer to see "long" texts presented in their consolidated form rather than split into separate 160 char chunks.

You can try to flash original stock SMS app from first post. Some users had problem with sending MMS and original app solved it. Maybe it will solve with spliting sms too.

Otherwise no major issues so far - thanks a lot for a great ROM and hope the token payment from me will cover the cost of a beer! :laugh:

Yes, it covers cost of 4 beer and already consumed ;)
    OK, here is my final version of JB 4.1.2 ROM for Haier W910. Its based on EN/CN port from Acer Cloudmobile S500 repacked by elbuit from here http://www.movilesdualsim.com/threads/rom-4-1-2-stock.47032/page-3#post-443577
    I added some multilang strings from bassrockers mod from needrom and merge it with my complete CZ translation. Some app are EN/CZ only (FMradio, Voice Recorder)

What was added

Radio image from 4.0.4 factory ROM
    Support for init.d scripts
    CPUgovernor set to MSM-DCVS (best for Snapdragon chips) on startup
    Cache for internal memory and SD card set to 2048 on startup
    Automatic TRIM(fstrim) /data partition on boot.
    Some build.prop tweaks for best app compatibility and better performance. Some of them are maybe placebo :)
    Universal ODEX script from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2162413
    AdAway with pre-set hosts file
    Xposed installer - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1574401
    Gravitybox modul for xposed framework by CECO http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2316070
    Xperia Honami keyboard - I like it. Has very good swype writing and autocorrection, nice look and some configurability
    Font SegoeWP - imho much better font than Roboto
    Camera and Gallery from Android 4.3
    SMS from z CyanogenMOD with Quickreply and strip unicode ability
    Sounds from Xperia phones
    Total Commander
    Viper4Android - great music fx app and setting http://vipersaudio.com/blog/

What was removed

All google apps, that can be installed from Play Store (youtube,gmail,gmusic,gbooks etc)
    All apks for testing (EM...)
    Boot sounds and boot animation.
    MusicFX.apk because Viper4Android is much better.

Installation

0. Make backup of apps, sms and any other important things that you cant miss.
    1. You need to have CMW recovery installed
    2. Copy zip to memory card.
    3. Boot into CWM recovery: Hold volume down while turning on phone
    4. Make wipe data / factory reset
    5. Install zip from sdcard -> Choose zip from sdcard -> choose zip with ROM.
    6. DO NOT wipe data now, because some apps are installet to /data/app and wipe will delete them.
    7. Reboot system now.

If you want to use Xposed Framework, run Xposed Installer, install framework and reboot.

Thanks VIPER520 and ZhuHang for great app Viper4Android http://vipersaudio.com/blog/?page_id=31
    Here you can download package with preset Impulse Response Samples http://xdaforums.com/showthr ... ?t=2216193
    If you want to use other sound FX combined with ViperFX you need to turn on Compatibility mode in Viper4Android FX

If you want to odex apps and framework (ODEX script), run Terminal Emulator and type:
    Code:
    su
    dexo -all
    Reboot :)

Download

Latest release:
    Haier_W910_4.1.2_multi-13122013.zip https://docs.google.com/a/zaty.eu/file/d/0B1sK6kF3ugoFcndJLU80anJyejA/edit

Changes:
    Added facelessone's tweaks to better call sound
    Repaired init.d scripts for setting sd cache and io governor
    Added /system/bin/fstrim and run it on /data at each reboot
    Some tweaks to log service, maybe fix for some wakelocks
    Increase entropy read threshold wakeup at boot

Original stock SMS/MMS app http://d-h.st/Cip

If you dont like builtin switches in notification, or want customizable switches, here is update zip with modified SystemUI with switches hidden. You can then use Power Toggles from Play store, to create great customizable notification switches http://goo.gl/UV8XeS Im using it and its stable and fully working.

If you got too many wakelocks from EventLogService install https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ccc71.pmw and run it. Select Startups, find and select Google Service Framework and here unselect checkin.EventLogService$Receiver and checkin.EventLogService and restart phone.

Old releases:
    Haier_W910_4.1.2_multi-05122013.zip http://goo.gl/h4yGKl

If you like my work, feel free to buy me a beer and donate on my paypal with DONATE TO ME button :)

Credits for:
    C3C076 for Gravitybox module
    rovo89 for Xposed framework
    MatrixDJ96 for Universal Odex Script
    VIPER520 and ZhuHang for Viper4Android
    and many more of moders and developers for some tweaks and documentations that allow to understand how android works.

Has anyone attempted to port MIUI V5 on Hair w910 ? Any development work you guys have done ?
    Have you tried porting from MIUI V5 present for Xperia T, HTC one s?