Resizing system partition to get more space

Search This thread

x714x

Sep 10, 2012
Phoenix
WebOS is a different animal compared to Android. And Im sure this wont be possible with a locked bootloader. Messing with the partitions is dumb imo, thats the easiest way to hard brick a device.

Hutch89

Jun 3, 2012
Kansas City, Mo
Guys I came from an LG nitro and we had several issues with modified system partitions really screwing things up. Messing with your system partition is the fastest way to end up with a shiny paperweight. Don't do it.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using xda app-developers app

provolinoo

Nov 19, 2010
Milano
Guys I came from an LG nitro and we had several issues with modified system partitions really screwing things up. Messing with your system partition is the fastest way to end up with a shiny paperweight. Don't do it.

I can agree with you but it's a total nonsense that I bought a 32gb G2 version and available disk space sis just 24gb... hope lg will release some kind of fix/workaround soon

Reactions: SupriseMadaafaca

ruvort

Aug 4, 2010
I can agree with you but it's a total nonsense that I bought a 32gb G2 version and available disk space sis just 24gb... hope lg will release some kind of fix/workaround soon

Why would they? Its partitioned that way to hold the size of their default software...

Sent from my LG G2 using Tapatalk

souleman

Aug 9, 2010
Montrose, MI
The system partition is 3.2 GB. It isn't like you can go from 24 to 31 GB free. If your that desperate over an extra gig, you might need to reevaluate what you have on your phone, or invest in a microsd usb card reader.

Also, 200 MB is most likely the size of the zip file, you are using to install the rom. That is compressed size. Mahdi rom (I have on my pc at moment so could check), is 208 MB compressed.. The actual install size is 351 MB. That doesn't include gapps, which also installs to the system partion. The core gapps package is 18MB but installs to be 30 MB. And that is assuming you are using core, the full packages are MUCH larger.

So theoretically, you could free up maybe 2.7GB. Is it really worth a good chance at bricking your phone for that?

Last edited:

khaytsus

Apr 8, 2008
Central Kentucky
This might sound dumb, but I'll say it anyway...

There is media in /system/media, not sure about songs, but certainly ringtones etc

I wonder if one could dump a few gigs of mp3's into /system to make better use of the space, and less use of the media drive (/sdcard).

Xyriin

May 21, 2012
Virginia Beach
It would be nice to be able to shrink the system partition. I've attached a sample screen of my G2 that is running CM11 nightlies.

But yeah, dropping the system to 1GB would leave plenty of room and boost the 24.1GB up by about 2.2GB to 26.3GB (a 9% increase which is fairly significant).

As others have mentioned though there is the issue of the bootloader.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-01-02-18-17-14.png
    Screenshot_2014-01-02-18-17-14.png
    93.3 KB · Views: 588

Xyriin

May 21, 2012
Virginia Beach
On a second thought...I recall the unroot/unbricking flash tool causing some issues for people related to phone storage sizes.

I wonder if someone creative might be able to create an image with custom partition sizes via this method.

SupriseMadaafaca

Mar 3, 2013
If u cant resize the partitions, IT would be kind a awesome to create a custom recovery like safestrap or boot Menu Manager which can create multiple System Slots so that u have multiple Systems on ur g2. So Let's say a aosp rom and a modded Stock rom at da same time.

Like so that devs See that.

Sent from my LG-D802 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: Andrew-droid

fma965

Nov 20, 2011
cyanlabs.net
Does any one have any clue on how to resize the /system? I have been researching on how it's done on other devices but no luck using the same methods.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andrew-droid

Andrew-droid

Apr 2, 2011
Rio de Janeiro
I would also apreciate that. Having a 16Gb phone with just 10Gb free is a waste of space.

Stock Roms may be 3.2Gb compressed and inflate to 6GB uncompressed, but I am running on CM11, which only should be 500MB at most, when uncompressed.

Also this phone not having a micro SD card really kind of messes it up.

didhiy

Mar 29, 2011
Jakarta
i have 2 galaxy s variant (epic4g sprint usa & sc-02b docomo japan) both have long journey in development history from cm7 to latest cm-11 :)
the partition size was change several times to accommodate bigger system files in newer version
afaik it can be set in kernel source for both device on mtd samsung onenand driver
I don't know about g2 because I just own this device for 2 days :D lol

I have 16gb, so find a dev who works on this will be a great news for me :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Would definitely love for more free space especially since i'm running cm11 and the rom is practically a little over 200MB.
    I would also apreciate that. Having a 16Gb phone with just 10Gb free is a waste of space.

Stock Roms may be 3.2Gb compressed and inflate to 6GB uncompressed, but I am running on CM11, which only should be 500MB at most, when uncompressed.

Also this phone not having a micro SD card really kind of messes it up.

If u cant resize the partitions, IT would be kind a awesome to create a custom recovery like safestrap or boot Menu Manager which can create multiple System Slots so that u have multiple Systems on ur g2. So Let's say a aosp rom and a modded Stock rom at da same time.

Like so that devs See that.

Sent from my LG-D802 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app