[MOD][4.2.1/4.2][JOP40D/JOP40C] Tethering/Wifi Hotspot for the Nexus 7 3G

Search This thread

phonic

May 30, 2008
Florida
The tethering function work but I got a problem that I can't use check in in Facebook and cannot use GPS navigation in Google map at 4.21

The framework hack in the OP is for 4.2. If you installed the 4.21 OTA, it would have aborted since framework was modified. If you reverted, flashed the OTA update and applied the modified framework in the OP on top of that, you probably broke a lot of stuff since the framework was modified in the 4.21 update.

You shouldn't mix and match mods/kernels/etc. across different versions of the OS.

chung0816

Feb 21, 2008
The framework hack in the OP is for 4.2. If you installed the 4.21 OTA, it would have aborted since framework was modified. If you reverted, flashed the OTA update and applied the modified framework in the OP on top of that, you probably broke a lot of stuff since the framework was modified in the 4.21 update.

You shouldn't mix and match mods/kernels/etc. across different versions of the OS.

Thanks.......

shamilsh

Jan 4, 2006
We're off topic here but just to point out, if it's a radio hack then part of the challenge is finding radio firmware for a comparable device that does have phone functionality enabled. On the Samsung devices, many of th em have parts in common that made it easy to cross flash radios.

Asus has not released very many phones as they have concentrated on the tablet market. Neither of the Padfones uses a Tegra 3 so I wouldn't imagine the radios would be cross compatible.

I think ASUS Padfone & Padfone 2 have hints. These devices have Voice call Function even they are Tablet mode. And of course they have Tegra 3 CPU. But unfortunatly I have no Padfones. Anybody has them?

massimo299

May 19, 2011
Info

Excuse me, can i know why this fix doesn't work on the Nexus 7 wifi-only version? because i need the wifi rooter option, obviously i can't share my connection because i do not have one, but i really need rooter wifi to develop an application. Let me know, thanks.

phonic

May 30, 2008
Florida
Excuse me, can i know why this fix doesn't work on the Nexus 7 wifi-only version? because i need the wifi rooter option, obviously i can't share my connection because i do not have one, but i really need rooter wifi to develop an application. Let me know, thanks.

Because the purpose of this mod is to allow your N7 to share it's 3G connection as a wi-fi hotspot. There is no capability to have it be a client and an AP at the same time on wi-fi only.

And it's spelled "router". Unless of course you want your N7 to help fix your backed up toilet.

massimo299

May 19, 2011
Because the purpose of this mod is to allow your N7 to share it's 3G connection as a wi-fi hotspot. There is no capability to have it be a client and an AP at the same time on wi-fi only.

And it's spelled "router". Unless of course you want your N7 to help fix your backed up toilet.

I need only that my N7 wifi become an AP, and not a client at the same time. There's no way to activate the router wifi function in this way? in practice i need that some other phone can connect to my N7 and send me something with wifi, than my application handle this data.

phonic

May 30, 2008
Florida
I need only that my N7 wifi become an AP, and not a client at the same time. There's no way to activate the router wifi function in this way? in practice i need that some other phone can connect to my N7 and send me something with wifi, than my application handle this data.

Why don't you use bluetooth?

If you don't need routing functionality, there might be some way of making your tablet into a wifi AP only, but I'm not sure since I never tried to do this.

bj.maverick

Dec 1, 2012
3g dongle to wireless hotspot???

Why don't you use bluetooth?

If you don't need routing functionality, there might be some way of making your tablet into a wifi AP only, but I'm not sure since I never tried to do this.

I have a HUAWEI 3g USB, and i connect it to my WIFI Nexus 7 to use its 3g internet. Cant i use this or something else that can create a wifi hotspot that makes my 3g dongle wireless through my n7? Although the PPP widget doesnt work with wifi on but i just wanted ask if someone had a solution to this.

phonic

May 30, 2008
Florida
I have a HUAWEI 3g USB, and i connect it to my WIFI Nexus 7 to use its 3g internet. Cant i use this or something else that can create a wifi hotspot that makes my 3g dongle wireless through my n7? Although the PPP widget doesnt work with wifi on but i just wanted ask if someone had a solution to this.

I don't know, but typing it in larger font doesn't help.

Reactions: ProfMozz
Jul 9, 2007
OK I don't know what I'm doing but I also really want this functionality.

So am I to unlock the boot loader, root, backup my stock image and if I don't flash a custom ROM I can load this zip and still receive OTA updates?

Am i close? Cold, warm, hot?

Sent from my Nexus 7 3G using XDA Premium HD app

tedr108

Dec 3, 2011
Los Angeles area, CA
So am I to unlock the boot loader, root, backup my stock image and if I don't flash a custom ROM I can load this zip and still receive OTA updates?

Am i close? Cold, warm, hot?

You are right for pretty much everything, except the OTA updates. I'm fairly certain that the framework mods will make the OTA error off -- please someone correct me, if I am wrong. As I'm sure you are aware, there are simple ways to work around this.

Last edited:

phonic

May 30, 2008
Florida
You are right for pretty much everything, except the OTA updates. I'm fairly certain that the framework mods will make the OTA error off -- please someone correct me, if I am wrong. As I'm sure you are aware, there are simple ways to work around this.

You are correct.

Any change to major files in /system (and framework certainly is one) will break future OTA updates.

You should ALWAYS backup anything you modify if you want to be able to replace them to get updates working down the road.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    PLEASE USE WITH CAUTION AND ONLY IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING. I WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR BRICKED DEVICES.

You may have noticed that the Nexus 7 3G does not have the tethering options enabled by default.

I couldn't live with that (that was partially the point why I got the 3G version), so have patched the framework to enable those options. Partial credits go to PaulOBrien@MoDaCo who has fixed the apktool for Android 4.2 .

To get it to work just flash the ZIP below. It will only work on the JOP40D and JOP40C releases, and obviously only if you have a 3G device. Please do not try it on the WiFi-only Nexus 7 :) .

Please note that it doesn't do a backup of the original framework-res.apk, so you can either make one yourself, or you can reflash the factory system image if you want to go back to stock later.

4.2.1 (JOP40D):
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/oti37qsc265me8t/enabletether-JOP40D.zip

4.2 (JOP40C):
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/9tswcvz50op8rfu/enabletether-JOP40C.zip
    I really would appreciate flashable zip to enable tethering for 4.3.:sly:
    Thanks in advance !

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

Hi i just pulled the file decompressed it and it works for me i will aditionally put a small guide here:

after pulling framework-res.apk and decompiling modify the following lines in /res/values/arrays.xml

<array name="config_tether_usb_regexs" />
    <array name="config_tether_wifi_regexs" />
    <array name="config_tether_wimax_regexs" />
    <array name="config_tether_bluetooth_regexs" />
    <array name="config_tether_dhcp_range" />
    <array name="config_mobile_hotspot_provision_app" />
    <array name="config_tether_upstream_types" />

to

<string-array name="config_tether_usb_regexs">
    <item>rndis\\d</item>
    </string-array>
    <string-array name="config_tether_wifi_regexs">
    <item>wlan\\d</item>
    </string-array>
    <array name="config_tether_wimax_regexs" />
    <string-array name="config_tether_bluetooth_regexs">
    <item>bnep\\d</item>
    </string-array>
    <array name="config_tether_dhcp_range" />
    <array name="config_mobile_hotspot_provision_app" />
    <integer-array name="config_tether_upstream_types">
    <item>0</item>
    <item>1</item>
    <item>5</item>
    <item>7</item>
    </integer-array>

recompile the framework-res.apk sign it and u are ready to go.

Here are the links for the stock framework and the tether mod:

Stock Framework 4.3
    Tether enabled

U can flash them with sideload and i recommend a cache wipe after it.

HF
    Hi Folks,

as far i could tell there are no diferences in the stock framework-res.apk but i think i fixed the bootloop error on first install and i made a new enable tether file for jwr66y anyways hf flashing.

Enable Tether jwr66y
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B94bfpTec3GpdWpjclNteGhOQmM/edit
    Successfully flashed this over 4.2.2
    Worked on first boot without problems. Currently tethering over wifi.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium
    bootloop even with 3rd try :(

Try this version. It's works for Me.

8953c95366caf1e9ab6a9f50f7337f1e thether-JDQ39.zip

Flashed via TWRP without any problems, bootloops.