[Q] Text to American Sign Language Translator App Development Help

Search This thread

Vlasp

Mar 18, 2012
Plano, Texas
I am trying to make an app that allows the user to input text, and then images meaning that word come up on the screen. I already have Eclipse set up on my linux 64 bit box. How would I do this, as I am just starting to learn android development?:confused::confused: I am trying to make this app using this tutorial: https://developer.android.com/training/basics/firstapp/building-ui.html but changing the activity so it shows images in a sequence (kinda like a GIF). Any way to do this?

Last edited:

Rick Clephas

Jul 17, 2014
I am trying to make an app that allows the user to input text, and then images meaning that word come up on the screen. I already have Eclipse set up on my linux 64 bit box. How would I do this, as I am just starting to learn android development?:confused::confused: I am trying to make this app using this tutorial: https://developer.android.com/training/basics/firstapp/building-ui.html but changing the activity so it shows images in a sequence (kinda like a GIF). Any way to do this?

I think you should create an ArrayList with the images and keywords.
Then if you click the search button you have to loop trough all the items and check if the keywords contain your searched text if so then you add the image to your layout else you don't.

Hope this helps ;)

Sent from my SM-N9005 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Last edited:

SimplicityApks

May 26, 2013
Aachen
I think you should create an ArrayList with the images and keywords.
Then if you click the search button you have to loop trough all the items and check if the keywords contain your searched text if so then you add the image to your layout else you don't.

Hope this helps ;)

Agreed, but I think a HashMap<String, Integer> would be better in this case ;).

@OP: I don't get the second part of the question with the GIF, try to start with only an EditText, a Button and an ImageView. Then learn how to get the text which the user entered and set up the hashmap and your image resources.

Rick Clephas

Jul 17, 2014
Agreed, but I think a HashMap<String, Integer> would be better in this case ;).

@OP: I don't get the second part of the question with the GIF, try to start with only an EditText, a Button and an ImageView. Then learn how to get the text which the user entered and set up the hashmap and your image resources.

Yes that would probably be better :thumbup:

Sent from my SM-N9005 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app