[Q] ODIN firmware vs. clean wipe & ROM flash... what's the difference?

Search This thread

CZ Eddie

Sep 27, 2011
Austin, TX
ODIN firmware vs. clean wipe & ROM flash... what's the difference?

I realize the firmware flash will put the modem on the phone also (most ROM's won't).
But is there anything else an ODIN firmware flash will do that a simple clean wipe/format and ROM flash won't do to fix random issues?
Assuming the firmware was stock rooted firmware and the ROM was stock rooted ROM.

crash822

Sep 11, 2011
Can't think of anything off the top of my head. It'll install the default recovery and whatever modem, beyond that I can't think of anything. Boot loader can be changed as well depending on the image.

Reactions: CZ Eddie

hednik

May 31, 2012
Fort Worth

I realize the firmware flash will put the modem on the phone also (most ROM's won't).
But is there anything else an ODIN firmware flash will do that a simple clean wipe/format and ROM flash won't do to fix random issues?
Assuming the firmware was stock rooted firmware and the ROM was stock rooted ROM.

It really depends what's in the odin package. Some con come with bootloaders, modems, stock 3e recovery. Some odin packages will not have bootloaders in them. A will almost always flash the boot.img, system, and apps. It won't have the modem, recovery, or bootlader. At least on the GS3 or GS4. On the Captivate the recovery was included with kernels and roms...so you flashed a new recovery with every rom.

Reactions: Aronuser

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Can't think of anything off the top of my head. It'll install the default recovery and whatever modem, beyond that I can't think of anything. Boot loader can be changed as well depending on the image.

It really depends what's in the odin package. Some con come with bootloaders, modems, stock 3e recovery. Some odin packages will not have bootloaders in them. A will almost always flash the boot.img, system, and apps. It won't have the modem, recovery, or bootlader. At least on the GS3 or GS4. On the Captivate the recovery was included with kernels and roms...so you flashed a new recovery with every rom.