New Kernel fo G2!!

Search This thread

Ace42

Jul 20, 2009
USA
Moto G Power
Motorola Edge
Had a few issues on mahdai 6-28 with D800 LGD:
1. On 1st boot fauxclock was gone, no clue if this is from updating to 6-28 or from the kernel
2. There was a weak constant vibration as well, it stopped after a reboot. Think this is from the high temp, it was suppose to turn off I think, however it didn't start the shut down
3. After installing fauxclock again the changes I make in the app aren't working. I want to limit GPU to 200, but it shows it at 320mhz instead.

Edit: Cleared cache & now faux is working

Everything is swell now, running smooth & happy I don't have to use interactive. I love mahdi but never-ever was a fan of interactive.

Also any chance for the hotplug & thermal settings to be exposed to Trickster mod?

Last edited:

Raagh

Jun 12, 2013
I don't know if Mahdi supports ART but...

its not working here for me on 28/06 build
Was anyone able to make ART working with this kernel?
Art is working. If you have an app that its not compatible it ll not switch. So please clean install then switch to art:)

Sent from my D806

Reactions: 1ceb0x

reas0n

Dec 23, 2010
Google Pixel 6
Art is working. If you have an app that its not compatible it ll not switch. So please clean install then switch to art:)

Sent from my D806

nope, it'll switch anyway. Velur Icon Pack works(worked) only with Dalvik, i installed it on Dalvik and applied the icons to Nova so I could convert to ART and still have them. The apps like Velur will just not open.

Raagh

Jun 12, 2013
nope, it'll switch anyway. Velur Icon Pack works(worked) only with Dalvik, i installed it on Dalvik and applied the icons to Nova so I could convert to ART and still have them. The apps like Velur will just not open.
Not all the time sorry. I was using xposed, remove it and art simple ll not switch. Clean install same build same apps without xposed same gapps, art switch okey.

Sent from my D806

1ceb0x

Jun 25, 2010
The Earth
that's the thing... i have fresh install :). the only difference is using this kernel. i will try to use dr87 kernel, switch to art and then switch to this kernel again. prolly it will work.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

1ceb0x

Jun 25, 2010
The Earth
@RenderBroken
I have JDI panel on my G2 802.
am not sure it advisable to use your Kernel Render-Kernel-AOSP_d802-07-01-BR3-LGD right?
or what u advise Thanks.

please move this question in the new thread posted by Render up above your post. You are advised to wait for his official release. it will contain a way that you'll not need to worry sbout your panel anymore. idk how it is currently implemented.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys,

First off. Mahdi rom is Amazing! I love all the features and it had just the right amount of features for my new G2! Thanks Doc for maintaining this for us!

Second, I am a kernel dev and am working on my own kernel for the G2. I have essentially made my base Savoca's Furnace Kernel (With his permission of course) and will be adding in features as I go. Currently I build for the Moto G but wanted to buy a higher end device and love this phone. I have the D800 (AT&T) so as it stands I only have a test kernel for the D800/JDI. You may be able to use Savoca's new panel tool that you flash after flashing the kernel to swap screen support. I would love for some others to test it out and let me know. I will be bringing a different perspective to kernel Dev'n than normal. I like to be hands on about the process and to instigate discussion so others can learn. Let me know if anyone is interested.I will be building for all variants that Furnace kernel supports.

Note to ALL: I will open an official thread when I am satisfied with testing. Thanks for your interest! Hope I can bring something new to the G2!

Right now I have added:

Custom Hotplug from Blechd0se (Moto G) Falcon Hotplug - Ultra simplified and efficient.
    Sl(auo)b optimizations
    frandom
    ETC
    Check source for more indepth info!

Just pm me if you are interested. Everything looks to be going pretty good so I should be opening a thread pretty soon. Remember this is still in Beta. Still I would love to hear from others out there. Thanks!

Render-Kernel-AOSP_d800-06-29-BR3-JDI.zip

Render-Kernel-AOSP_vs980-06-29-BR3-LGD.zip

Render-Kernel-AOSP_d800-07-01-BR3-LGD.zip

Render-Kernel-AOSP_d802-07-01-BR3-LGD.zip

Kind Regards,
    Render

Source
    kk-test is my active branch right now
    I just did a clean flash of latest mahdi. So its time to test your kernel. Also this may be useful http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2800626

Edit: flashed kernel,boots okey.

Everything seems smooth,no fc, sound is okey,ART is working, till now no issues at all. Ll continue reporting.

Fantastic!! Very glad to hear. Def keep me posted.

Holy moly! Makes Mahdi even smoother, curious about batterylife, but will test both for a few days first (just flashed mahdi and the kernel). But i needed to reinstall some apps cuz of force closing (Notifier Pro, Faux kernel enhanchment), no biggy, just sayin'

Are FC's typical when flashing a new kernel over and existing install? Just curious. I am trying to learn all the ins/outs of the G2.

Battery Life "should" be better. I noticed with Stock Mahdi Freqs stay at about 1GHz (Don't remember exact freq) This one uses a new, simple, and efficient hotplug that I use on my Moto G kernel. Its very simplified and scales according to the governor. Its really cool how it works. SO instead of using the hotplug driver to handle performance 100%, now the onus is on how well the governor is setup. Currently I have interactive set as default and have special settings et for it. It actually changed depending on workload. If you get a chance look at me init.render.post_boot.sh file. Yall can see some of the initial settings I have set up and see just how cool interactive is setup.

I may open the official thread this evening. I have had alot of positive feedback and now I believe the kernel is ready for prime time! Thank you beta tester for your help!
    Super Post 2!!

Hello, I've been trying out a few hours your kernel and everything is perfect. Sound, camera, apps .. all in the rom mahdi in art. (I have a D805 and test D802 kernel)
    you could try this, to avoid building a kernel for each type of display.
    http://xdaforums.com/lg-g2/development/4-4-kernel-automatically-detect-panel-t2800626

Greetings from chile.
    Excuse my bad English.

Fan-freak'n-tastic! Thanks for pointing this out to me! I will be using this when I start the offical builds tomorrow! Also I will be opening the Official thread then too! I am thankful to all the testers here!

Kernel running fine with Mahdi at my D802! Great!

Where I can find the init.render.post_boot.sh file ???

Open your File Explorer ( I use ES) Then navigate to "/" So right now when you open the Explorer you are at "/sdcard/here". You should be able to just go back or click "/" at the top left in ES.

Just ran this! working great on the D800. Would it be possible for you to implement fast charge. Im new to mahdi rom. IF you need help PM me.

Sure, I love Fast Charge and use it in my Moto G kernel. I will be bringing way more features that I feel help the G2. I will be Overclocking the GPU as well. Maybe even add more frequency steps if they make sense. Right now there is only 3. This makes using different devfeq governors almost useless if there are only 3 steps. Along with other optimizations. I will be bringing them at a fast pace! I use my own kernel and I personally want these features on my new G2.

I for one would like to test a 4.4.2 kernel on CM11; it's a shame that the world famous CM11 left G2 without a maintainer.
    I know . . . But if its not to big of a pain in the ass I will try to build for it. I just know that PA, CM, Mahdi, and Stock have each their own kernel source that I would have to maintain to build for each one. I am going to try and find a happy medium some how.
    You built your own updater script to fix panel recognition?

No, I used some changes by dr87 that adjusts the kernel real-time without any other zip to flash and regardless of panel type. I am trying to use it but I had a different setup than what was needed. I should have it working now though.

This kernel is great so far. You have 2 cores on almost all the time with 1ghz, 1.4 ghz load (depending on the jobs done) and it ramps up to 2.3 ghz + onlines cpu3 as well to cope with the high load.

Battery seems to be a lot better this way and the smoothness is still there. I personally run it stock so far, just to see how it can be different than Savoca's kernel and so far all i can say is - i think this is my favorite kernel to go when i want AOSP.

Great job Zach!

Great Thanks! Thats what I am shooting for. I am also getting rid of CPU OC. I personally havnet found anythign that the 1.9GHz freq cant handle and 2.3 is overkill. 2.5 just wasteful. Also when Overclocking is enabled it has to up the V-Core regardless if you actually use the OC Freq which in turn raise the CPU Temp. So I feel like I will be killing two birds with one stone. Tomorrow the first official build goes live along with the thread. Thanks for the kind words! Good news is I should also be building for stock roms as well. Just have to make some adjustments to make it work with my modded ramdisk.
    Super Post!

Render, since I cleaned the kernel and left it stock I'm getting the SOD. If I let the screen go off and try to turn the screen back on it just lights up black. Tried and tried but just a black screen. Unfortunately I had to go back for now. Can't wait to try it once it gets cleaned up.

Sent from my LG-D800 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Then it sounds like you don't have LDG like you said but you have JDI.

Link to source ?

I looked at Savoca source and it appeared to have no FM support in audio driver, same as Mahdi now.

I'll copy my post from Mahdi thread, in case your interested in enabling FM:

I've concluded that sound/soc/msm/msm8974.c needs to be patched with the "#ifdef CONFIG_SND_FM_RADIO" code seen here: https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_kernel_lge_msm8974/blob/cm-11.0/sound/soc/msm/msm8974.c

Unless you're up for that, I'll presume I'll try it myself.

Any tips for kernel building for a JDI LS980 ? I built a few Android kernels in 2013, but never even tried flashing them.

That said, I've been doing embedded linux professionally since 1997.

Thanks ! :)

I will go ahead and push the latest changes and post link. Also I am fairly new to the G2 scene and just how fractured the source code is for it. I would love to take a look at this if its simple enough to add in. I am not against trying though. If you could, remind me when I open up the main thrad in the next few days. I am heading to the beach with my wife and son so will not be able to do much in the next 2 days but when I get back and I get some good word about the builds, I will open the thread and kick in to overdrive.

1 question. Why didn't you post the kernel in one of the development sections??

Transmitted via Geass

Just wanted some testers for now. I dont want to open a thread to a million questions about each device yet when I don't have a kernel ready for them. I will be creating a thread very soon.

hi, thank you for supporting our beloved g2 :) we all appreciate it, i just have a request. you see , only the Qremote can control the IR on our device, lg didnt use the real android open source drivers for it . so we cant use apps like smartIR whereas samsung n htc are compatible. im just suggesting if you can try and implement open source IR drivers to the g2 ? so that we can use all these apps that utilize that api :) i know this is gonna be an insanely though part as you'd have to figure out which hw IR we are using and then implement a compatible driver for it. but im just suggesting that this is perhaps the only bad part of the g2 till now :)

I like challenges, I will take a look as soon as I can. Most likely it will be after I get everything completely setup. If you could remind me later when I open up the official thread. Thanks!