Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

LordBattleBeard

May 27, 2012
b764f67181.jpg

Code:
http://www.facebook.com/sonymakeforget

This page is for people disappointed by S/Fonys (formerly Sony Ericsson) decision to pull the Xperia Play from the ICS update list, several months after committing to it.
For those Xperia Play users our there, make sure Sony knows you won't forget this and won't just be walked over.

Join the boycott. #SONYmakeforget

Last edited:
Reactions: athlonpower

LordBattleBeard

May 27, 2012
0b0e1d6187.jpg

Umm, it's a little late for that. They got your money for the Xperia Play, and since there are few enough of us Play users, our boycott will not many any bit of a difference to Sony.
Just because they already got our money for the Xperia Play doesn't mean we can't deny them any future custom.
If its a choice out of doing something but failing or doing nothing and being a doormat, I choose the former. Each to their own.

mustbepbs

Nov 19, 2011
Its posts like these that help me understand why companies get away with half of the antics they currently get away with. Damn fanboys :rolleyes:

What's with this sense of entitlement? You bought a product. You didn't sign a contract. Sony can make any call they want. As much as you don't like it, Sony did it to help xperia users. You'd probably want to boycott Sony if they released ICS and it was worse than gingerbread. Just cut the crap with these stupid threads.

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk 2

LordBattleBeard

May 27, 2012
I bought the xplay on the commitment given by sony that the phone would see the ICS update. Sure, no contract but definitely covered under consumer law here in the UK.
As much as you don't like it, not everyone believes every word Sony says as if its holy scripture. Nor does everyone believe that they put enough effort into fulfilling their commitment to update the device.
To answer your last comment; no.

The Alpha Gamer

May 7, 2011

Erm......no! Grow up. So we don't get one meaningless update. Why is this bothering people so much? If Sony didn't announce that we were getting it, people wouldn't care. There's still gonna be custom ICS roms, so what's the problem?

What's worse are the babies who say they're never buying Sony phones again. Over one update? Ok, by all means give up on the best make of phones over one little update.

CTU_Loscombe

Apr 4, 2010
Sunderland
Yes Mr Wolf, boycott.
I am not boycotting Sony, but ppl who do have reason, the Other OS PS3 thing, the X10 eclair/froyo thing, and now this.

Sent from my Xperia Play using Tapatalk 2

Other OS on PS3 annoyed the hell outta me. Due to not having a laptop at the time my PS3 became my desktop. Then they removed it...Then my PS3 broke

Then I started using OnLive instead :) well, abusing the 30min Free Trials XD

Still, I'm not boycotting. Sony have a good reason for not updating. However, I do think they should release the code that they have now so that devs can work on it some more for people who want it.
Me, I'm sticking to Gingerbread...Makes my games work :)

LordBattleBeard

May 27, 2012
Boycott???

Please, grow up.
Always bound to hit a nerve with some fanboys. Come again :)

Erm......no! Grow up. So we don't get one meaningless update. Why is this bothering people so much? If Sony didn't announce that we were getting it, people wouldn't care. There's still gonna be custom ICS roms, so what's the problem?

What's worse are the babies who say they're never buying Sony phones again. Over one update? Ok, by all means give up on the best make of phones over one little update.
If your fine with the news, good for you, im glad. As it happens, some of us aren't, that's ok also... see how that works?
You need to realize that not everyone shares your every opinion or view on some things, deal with it :rolleyes:

Yes Mr Wolf, boycott.
I am not boycotting Sony, but ppl who do have reason, the Other OS PS3 thing, the X10 eclair/froyo thing, and now this.

This. Though you forgot to mention the YLOD on the original phat PS3s.

Other OS on PS3 annoyed the hell outta me. Due to not having a laptop at the time my PS3 became my desktop. Then they removed it...Then my PS3 broke

Still, I'm not boycotting. Sony have a good reason for not updating. However, I do think they should release the code that they have now so that devs can work on it some more for people who want it.
No ones forcing anyone to join the boycott mate. Your entitled to your own views on the matter and I respect that.
As for Sony releasing their source for it, I'd say there is more chance in Syria stop killing their own people. Not very likely in other words.

Nocturnuz

May 27, 2012
I'm in on the boat. Quite frankly - if I had known Xplay to not get any update I would consider buying a phone that would or already has like G.Nexus. I thought since X.play will be on par in terms of software why the heck not when I'm getting the gamepad.

What sony did was -dare I say- fraudulent. They have advertised on false information - on the premise of which people have - TRUSTED - and bought their phone. That is a VERY legit reason to be pissed about.

Last edited:
Reactions: LordBattleBeard

Miles Wolf

Jun 6, 2011
Barcelona
Yes Mr Wolf, boycott.

First of all, if we are not getting ICS is not directly Sony's fault:

Let's start from the beginning. The Play, from a pure hardware view, can run ICS. Sony, HTC and other companies are releasing hardware with ICS and lower specs than the Play (Tapioca, Desire C). We've seen that the beta runs mighty fine in the performance department, and it's obvious that the job can be finished if Sony cares to do so.

However, this is a matter of the gaming ecosystem. In short: the only companies Sony cares about are the big names like EA, Gameloft, Rockstar, etc. as they make the big majority of the Play game sales.

However, with regard to development, the Play is not important to those big names: they see it as "the redheaded stepchild Android", because they have to make extra effort to make it work with the game pads, instead of easily deploying the code in it like they do in the whole different platforms they code for (not only mobile phones, but smart TV's, console-related app stores, Steam and so on). Sony bribed those big developers with a lot of cash (remember all those free EA games and temporary exclusives?) so that the Play remained visible.

Fast forward to now. Gingerbread is present in a good 60% of Android Play Store-running hardware. ICS has only like.a 4%. Android is the best selling platform, with, let's say 500 million active devices. If my numbers are not wrong, that gives 300M GB devices 20M ICS ones. Developing with ICS in mind implies higher development costs, because you have to study the new features and use them. And of course, big name developers target wide audiences: by default they'll program with Gingerbread in mind, so they couldn't care less about ICS right now.

Someone mentioned Windows 7 incompatibility with old games: there is actually a Compatibility mode which was mainly designed for the purpose of using older games. Now Steam has taken care of that, which suits MS fine.

With the ICS upgrade, Sony probably contacted their "partners" and asked them to update their software (basically switch from the Sony custom gamepad framework to Google's standard one which Sony probably contributed themselves) for it to work properly in ICS, like they do in Sony gaming platforms. But unlike the PlayStations, it's those big name developers who are in control now, particularly in Android. Therefore, they showed Sony the middle finger.

[...]

TL;DR this is a power struggle between Sony and the big name game developers. The latter have won here, at the expense of the users. Support independent developers but make sure they don't make the "big name" status, because they'll get the need to control everything and screw users like this.

So I don't know why the hell you should boycott Sony, while they where trully wanting to launch the update (there you have the beta as a proof of it).

Second, the Sony that disabled the "Other OS" option on PS3 (Sony Computer Entertainment) is not the same Sony that decided to not launch ICS (Sony Mobile), so don't mix these two things, because it's like saying "OMG that movie from Sony Pictures is horrible, I'll boycott Sony without buying any of their smartphones!". Lol.

Ah, and as last point, the called "YLOD" (Yellow Light Of Death) of PS3 that somebody said is not the same as the red lights of death of Xbox 360. The YLOD was the most of times just a warning from the console, and not a signal of fatal failure. My PS3 showed the YLOD once and after disconnecting and reconnecting it here it is working fine since 2006 when I bought it. ;)

Nocturnuz

May 27, 2012
Interesting statements from Sony:
Back in the early days of Android upgrades, the company decided not to provide the Android 2.2 upgrade to its Xperia X10 phone -- which launched three months after the 2.2 platform's release -- saying that it believed "the features included in the Android 2.1 phone" were "on par with, and in many cases better than, a vanilla installation of 2.2." Um, right.

Sounds familiar?

LordBattleBeard

May 27, 2012
I'm in on the boat. Quite frankly - if I had known Xplay to not get any update I would consider buying a phone that would or already has like G.Nexus. I thought since X.play will be on par in terms of software why the heck not when I'm getting the gamepad.

What sony did was -dare I say- fraudulent. They have advertised on false information - on the premise of which people have - TRUSTED - and bought their phone. That is a VERY legit reason to be pissed about.
Precisely this. I suspect people wouldn't have been half as mad if they hadn't promised it beforehand. I certainly wouldn't have been because I simply wouldn't have bought it without some sort of commitment to at least one big update. It was the last and most important factor in why I took the plunge and bought the phone.

First of all, if we are not getting ICS is not directly Sony's fault:

So I don't know why the hell you should boycott Sony, while they where trully wanting to launch the update (there you have the beta as a proof of it).

Second, the Sony that disabled the "Other OS" option on PS3 (Sony Computer Entertainment) is not the same Sony that decided to not launch ICS (Sony Mobile), so don't mix these two things, because it's like saying "OMG that movie from Sony Pictures is horrible, I'll boycott Sony without buying any of their smartphones!". Lol.

Ah, and as last point, the called "YLOD" (Yellow Light Of Death) of PS3 that somebody said is not the same as the red lights of death of Xbox 360. The YLOD was the most of times just a warning from the console, and not a signal of fatal failure. My PS3 showed the YLOD once and after disconnecting and reconnecting it here it is working fine since 2006 when I bought it. ;)
Your view is based on taking Sony on their word. I have a hard time trusting them on it for various reasons, least of which because it just sounds like a half arsed excuse to me.

As for the beta, the idea of a beta is to find problems and bugs and make efforts towards resolving them with further builds, when did that happen? we sure as hell didn't see or hear about that happening. It seems to me as though the Sony dev dept realised it wouldnt just be a simple bodge job with the Play and bailed out without any real effort at it. Again, this is my view... you're welcome to disagree.

Although I didn't make that point, and I do agree that they are ofcourse different things, the two incidents were handled by the same company and so the reputation carries and is relevent.

Onto the YLOD, good for you... nobody I know with a 1st gen PS3 was so lucky (myself included). Do a quick search on ebay and see how many PS3s are being sold as faulty with the YLOD issue.

I couldn't care less whether these issues are linked to Sony, Microsoft, Apple, Samsung, whoever... loyalty to any company is a mugs game. I'll take issue when any of them when they take decisions that I don't agree with.

Interesting statements from Sony:
Back in the early days of Android upgrades, the company decided not to provide the Android 2.2 upgrade to its Xperia X10 phone -- which launched three months after the 2.2 platform's release -- saying that it believed "the features included in the Android 2.1 phone" were "on par with, and in many cases better than, a vanilla installation of 2.2." Um, right.

Sounds familiar?
Very familiar. Its actions like these that don't instil trust and reinforce peoples reluctance to trust them on their word.

Last edited:

narflynn619

May 25, 2011
On board Nebuchadnezzar.
I don't want to be taking sides. But there are still people who don't want to gamble with flashing custom ROMS and stick to 'stock-with-a-little-mod' ROMS. And by that I mean stock ROM with bloatware removed, launcher modified, and the like.

Just like me. For now I don't think I could gamble with playing around with my phone. Nonetheless, I think I'm pretty satisfied with the GB I have now. I admit I'm a lil disappointed with Sony pulling the plug on the Xperia PLAY. But hell, I'm contented with my GB. I don't think I can stand a day with my phone showing off epic UI but can't even properly play my games. After all, the PLAY was supposed to show off with games, not some fancy UI. End of story.

Reactions: LG_fuad92
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Its threads like these that are making me loose faith in most of the Xplay community.
    Thread closed. All discussion regarding ICS on Play go in the sticky.

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk 2
    Boycott???

Please, grow up.
    Boycott???

Please, grow up.
    Always bound to hit a nerve with some fanboys. Come again :)

If your fine with the news, good for you, im glad. As it happens, some of us aren't, that's ok also... see how that works?
    You need to realize that not everyone shares your every opinion or view on some things, deal with it :rolleyes:

Yes Mr Wolf, boycott.

This. Though you forgot to mention the YLOD on the original phat PS3s.

No ones forcing anyone to join the boycott mate. Your entitled to your own views on the matter and I respect that.
    As for Sony releasing their source for it, I'd say there is more chance in Syria stop killing their own people. Not very likely in other words.