[Q] Updating Verizon M8 on GSM

Search This thread

thirtyseven10

Oct 27, 2010
Plymouth
I bought the Factory Unlocked HTC M8 from Amazon thinking it was the GSM version, but I was sent the Verizon version which is CDMA. This is a problem for me because I am in a GSM area of the world, see below;

Territory
Cayman Islands
GSM & CDMA Frequencies
900 MHz 1900 MHz
UMTS Frequencies
2100 MHz
LTE Frequencies
700 MHz (planned),1800 MHz (active)

The main problem this causes is that I can't access the Software Update section in the phone because this is only active on the CDMA network / SIM, is there any way around this?

I can deal with the bloatware as this can be removed (At least most of it), but if I can't update the phone I'll be pretty annoyed. Is there a way to convert a Verizon version to an international version or a way to update a verizon phone without the OTA updates from the carrier?

Sending the phone back is not really an option as it would end up costing a fortune in shipping fees etc. and I would be better of just getting rid of the phone and finding something else.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Abe21599

Apr 13, 2009
not necessarily, OTA updates do not.

i do not know for a fact, only speculating on other phones with OTA files uploaded.

moe.harb

Jul 19, 2009
Any updates about this !! i have the same problem !
verizon has released a new sotware update and i dont know how to get it .

thirtyseven10

Oct 27, 2010
Plymouth
Any updates about this !! i have the same problem !
verizon has released a new sotware update and i dont know how to get it .

You need at least temp root be able to manually install the update, weaksauce works great for this. Once you have temp root you can download the OTA from here http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=2722817 and then unzip and place the OTA.zip in /cache/fumo on your phone (I changed the permissions of the OTA.zip to allow read/write/execute as well). If you don't have a fumo folder in your cache create one and set the permissions to read/write/execute, for moving files and changing permissions I use root explorer.

Once you have the file in the correct location, flash the OTA through the stock recovery. That should be all, it worked for me...

Sent from my HTC One (M8).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    once there are updates, i assume they will be posted on here and you can just download and install yourself.