Was just given this phone

Search This thread

eraleubs

Jun 1, 2014
I was quite excited as I am using a really ****ty phone, but upon starting the phone I realized it was on the sprint network, which gets very unreliable service where I live.
My main question is, is this phone, the LG Optimus G for sprint, capable of switching over to another phone carrier? Preferably Verizon prepaid or Straight Talk as they both work extremely well in my location. If it is, do I need to root the phone? The last phone I rooted with a Motorola Triumph on Virgin Wireless, and it was beyond easy.
I have also called both providers, Verizon and Straight Talk, both were very unhelpful :(

If its not usable, the phone is for sale to the first person with 75$ in the four corners area, usa.

RegKilla

Apr 17, 2012
I was quite excited as I am using a really ****ty phone, but upon starting the phone I realized it was on the sprint network, which gets very unreliable service where I live.
My main question is, is this phone, the LG Optimus G for sprint, capable of switching over to another phone carrier? Preferably Verizon prepaid or Straight Talk as they both work extremely well in my location. If it is, do I need to root the phone? The last phone I rooted with a Motorola Triumph on Virgin Wireless, and it was beyond easy.
I have also called both providers, Verizon and Straight Talk, both were very unhelpful :(

If its not usable, the phone is for sale to the first person with 75$ in the four corners area, usa.

No, you can only use the LG Optimus G LS970 on Sprint.

Kippui

Jan 1, 2011
Technically you could if you had a donar phone to flash but no 4g lte though.

dopy25

Feb 21, 2009
Fresno
My main question is, is this phone, the LG Optimus G for sprint, capable of switching over to another phone carrier? Preferably Verizon prepaid or Straight Talk as they both work extremely well in my location.

No, you can only use the LG Optimus G LS970 on Sprint.

Technically you could if you had a donar phone to flash but no 4g lte though.

Not entirely true unless the Optimus has something holding it back.

There was a thread about the same question (and a sim card question) here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2771111

I tried Straight Talk's website and was almost able to activate my own Optimus G on their service. I linked the website in that thread ^^