Do NOT flash your phone with 3rd party ROMs

Search This thread

gnubot

Oct 13, 2010
Bath, England
I just had to post in this thread because of the title. It's pretty ridiculous that you'd create a topic on this site as bline007 said and not somewhere else. Especially using that topic title? You didn't really expect that anyone would agree with you I hope. For your sake I can only assume you meant to say "Be careful I've found some 3rd party roms with spyware" or the like.

P.S. I apologize for the flameish response but I feel a lot of patronage for this site and it's members because of the work massive amount of work and personal time they have spent to make my 'legacy' phone go out of it's comfort zone just to bring us features, options and a longevity we never expected from this phone. So please don't taint the hard work of the developers by making posts with titles as such.

Yeah, I agree that the title is not appropriate. However, *Spyware* is not the main point. I do care about *stability* and *energy use* of ROM. Another message I would like to convey is 'Do NOT declare a ROM is stable until it is proven stable.' Offering users unstable stable ROMs will only give 3rd party ROMs a bad name.

Perhaps some 3rd party ROMs are faster than stock ROM (2.1) (I don't think any 2.1+ ROM can be faster). But, you can't compare the stability and energy use with the *pure* stock ROM. For example, I charge my battery once and keep it running for 3-4 days! I have never had any issue with the latest stock ROM. Everything works so perfectly! I don't need to be a flash maniac that flash my phone and re-configure it every time. OTA is so easy, smooth and not painful. A phone is a phone. It is a tool that helps you. I don't really like a phone that drives me crazy, eats my battery, and gives crashes again and again. Personally, a stable smart phone with less but essential and *stable* features is better than one with many more features but buggy.

Last edited:

gnubot

Oct 13, 2010
Bath, England
The fact is that some Sense lovers are tired of laggy new sense ports I guess

Therefore, a stock android ROM is not a choice.

So, in a way, I must admit that gnubot is right.

But we can't deny that the work that JieeHD, dastin1015, elelinux and other devs did is pretty awesome!

And to finish, I don't really remember how many months HTC devs took to make a correct release of the new Sense...

If you are tried of sluggish new sense ports, why not try the pure official RUU stock ROM. Do not try Villain V13, that's definite rubbish.

Well, Sense is really good and provides many useful widgets that do not require unnecessary permissions than the original 2.1. However, I admit that HTC sense weather is just a beautiful rubbish. I can't see the weather data curve of each hour and news. So, to fix it, I installed an android 2.1 weather MOD.

Last edited:

simsalam

Apr 23, 2010
To my mind, this is somewhat a useless topic...
XDA developers are about the community and testers, about finding something new and useful and implementing into our phones or whatever. If you consider yourself "I bought a phone I need to be able to call and text messages" then you, I believe, are on a wrong site.

Besides my personal opinion about it, I have to add, that 2 years ago when I bought HTC Hero, with 1.5 version, bluetooth out of the box wasn't even working, HTC for 6 months at least was promising to release 2.1 version, at some point I just quit waiting and got here, seen way bigger progress than HTC did. When I was creating tickets asking them when approximately update will show up giving 3, 6 months as an option, they were saying - sorry we do not know exactly.

So I am surprised that somebody found that support useful :)
Cheers

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Do NOT flash your hero phone with 3rd party ROMs unless necessary. I have played with many kinds of ROMs for 1 year. Most of them are downright laggy, unstable, or battery-draining although you could have some new features. These Roms are not fully tested. Some of them even contain spyware... You normally need to wipe your phone for most 3rd party ROM updates and that means you need to re-configure your phone again and again.. Now, I got my stock ROM back after making a Gold-card and I'm very satisfied with my HTC stock ROM. This is a fast, stable, power-saving and fully-tested ROM. Upgrade is very smooth and not painful.

I would suggest you to flash your phone by RUU and then root it by some tools, e.g. http://www.unlockroot.com/. But, please keep an eye on the install procedure. Do not install unnecessary apps unless you want.

The above is only my personal experience. Hope it helps.

You must have been loading up some really bad ROMs if that was your experience. What kind of spyware have you even seen installed in ROMs? Each to their own.

私のEVO 3Dから送信される。
    Yeah, if it wasn't for custom roms I would've gotten myself a new phone ages ago. If you want a bugless Rom you just flash a fully tested Rom, if goin want to try something new flash a new Rom. I've never heard about spyware either.

sent with love from me to you
    This http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1435655 new rom is better than stock, i think its not rubbish. :)